GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I found this quite interesting, for those technically interested in EV design and tech, take a watch...

Yea, I saw that earlier. He even gets into the math with voltage, etc.

I didn’t realize they were double stacking below the back seats either. Will be interesting to see how GM does the Celestiq - looks like they will some horizontally loaded while other areas will have it the vertical way. Don’t know if that car will have any double stacked like the trucks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just noticed that they will be making a whole series of them:

These will explain more of their various technologies and design. Sounds smart to help educate the public on what makes them different. I wish GM would do that as they seem to have the information out there - it’s just spread out in various videos/forums.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I saw that earlier. He even gets into the math with voltage, etc.

I didn’t realize they were double stacking below the back seats either. Will be interesting to see how GM does the Celestiq - looks like they will some horizontally loaded while other areas will have it the vertical way. Don’t know if that car will have any double stacked like the trucks.
Ya, Celestiq is going to be interesting, it needs to get close the Lucid range and charging, otherwise just an embarrassment to GM engineering. If it comes out with less than 400 mile range and 1000HP, don't bother...

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
929 Posts
I can't help but wonder if the celestiq might use gen2 Ultium cells. Original statements were 500-600 miles and first product mid-decade. Celestiq being a 2025 model would fit that bill, and small enough production run that they could still hand assemble the packs.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't help but wonder if the celestiq might use gen2 Ultium cells. Original statements were 500-600 miles and first product mid-decade. Celestiq being a 2025 model would fit that bill, and small enough production run that they could still hand assemble the packs.
believe it when I see it... Don't forget Lucid does 520 mile range with off the shelf LG battery cells, using Hummer for reference 1st gen Ultium is large and heavy. Magic second gen has not been produced, yet, but what does Lucid do with next gen cells? and Tesla, GM likely still behind.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
929 Posts
believe it when I see it... Don't forget Lucid does 520 mile range with off the shelf LG battery cells, using Hummer for reference 1st gen Ultium is large and heavy. Magic second gen has not been produced, yet, but what does Lucid do with next gen cells? and Tesla, GM likely still behind.
Ultium's biggest thing is cost and modularity. They should be able to ramp up extremely quickly once they get the cell plants online. Gen1 doesn't seem to have much of a density or weight advantage compared to what they were doing in the Bolt. Charging and power output, yes, but that's only one part of the equation.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ultium's biggest thing is cost and modularity. They should be able to ramp up extremely quickly once they get the cell plants online. Gen1 doesn't seem to have much of a density or weight advantage compared to what they were doing in the Bolt. Charging and power output, yes, but that's only one part of the equation.
In the Hummer you can hide the weight and poor density, but in a luxury car, which will be expected to have good performance (acceleration, braking, and handling) every gram will matter. Tesla has amazing performance in the latest S, but forgot the interior (and half the steering wheel), Lucid gives you amazing performance, Range, Charging, and a pretty sweet interior. Celestiq will be substantially more expensive, likely $250K plus, but will be a market belly flop if it cannot match the Lucid in performance, and EV statistics, the extra money being for extra features and technologies.

BTW, I do not see Gen 2 Ultium hitting the market at scale until 2027 or so, Celestiq is supposed to be coming to market late next year.

When it comes to engineering GM is just not on the same level with Lucid, and Tesla, GM has too many legacy issues in design/engineering, and therefore you get a product that is not well packaged, not efficient, not really that user friendly, and technology that is better than last year, but nowhere near best in class.

Edit I think its time to can Mary Barra and Mark Reuss, not because they are bad(they have actually been good in many ways), but because they lack vision, and the leadership to make GM great again. GM should be leading in technology, but they are not, and shareholders deserve a better (ground up) effort. I have not seen a singe GM EV product where I went "Wow", there is some class leading technology. Every new GM EV product has been ho hum, good in some ways, bad in others. Meanwhile Tesla is now sold out a year in advance, and now sells more cars in the USA than Cadillac and Buick brands combined. GMC is next in Tesla crosshairs. Let's not forget Tesla cars also sell for more money on average, and Tesla makes more money per car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.