GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I see a lot of conflicting YouTube videos, articles and posts. Is the Hummer EV truck/SUV actually more of a limited production vehicle? How many of these trucks & SUVs are intended for production?

Based on reception, discussion, and overall excitement it makes me believe more of these trucks are to be created than I anticipated.. but.. then I look at the Hummer forums and there is a limited following(in comparison to other vehicles that are are similar, or EVs, or are just fun Baja cruising/rock crawling cars).

What's the story? Or is it just everyone's best speculation?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edition 1's are limited production. 3x can be optioned up to be essentially identical but you won't get the tech-bronze accents that come in the ED1.
I suppose with only 59k estimated preorders for a brand with the following of GM... it just seems odd that they don't have more reservations for Hummer and that they have far less orders than Rivian. Post-IPO it's possible that to date Rivian has more reservations in 4 months than Hummer since reveal which again is just odd. Makes me wonder if GM really wanted to make this many of them to begin with.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
706 Posts
GM recently announced they intend to build 21000 this year. Rivian is only going to build 15000 this year. The number of reservations exceeds the manufacturing capacity for either one. The Hummer is also more expensive, so naturally less interest. When Rivian announced the price increase the number of cancellations was huge, so they had to take it back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
GM recently announced they intend to build 21000 this year. Rivian is only going to build 15000 this year. The number of reservations exceeds the manufacturing capacity for either one. The Hummer is also more expensive, so naturally less interest. When Rivian announced the price increase the number of cancellations was huge, so they had to take it back.
21k is a good figure, but abysmal for the manufacturing capability of GM. Very interesting. The price points between the two though are virtually identical, even prior to the price increases. Rivian stated their intentions to only build Launch Editions and Adventure Packs through 2022 due to having greater than 65% of their preorders for Adventure, and then add on to that the Max pack. My Adventure configuration prior to price increase was $92k. Virtually no Rivian preorder holder was buying a base model. Further, the price increases remain for all orders post-March first and per earnings call the reservations are at the same pace prior to the hike. But it was wise for them to give all the old reservation holders price lock. Ultimately now a max pack adventure is more expensive than a fully loaded Hummer so there goes that argument..

edit

Looks like max isn't presently offered at the moment on the R1S, only R1T now. Quick correction since Rivian removed that as well it looks like. Regardless, they share similar price points.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
929 Posts
21k is a good figure, but abysmal for the manufacturing capability of GM. Very interesting. The price points between the two though are virtually identical, even prior to the price increases. Rivian stated their intentions to only build Launch Editions and Adventure Packs through 2022 due to having greater than 65% of their preorders for Adventure, and then add on to that the Max pack. My Adventure configuration prior to price increase was $92k. Virtually no Rivian preorder holder was buying a base model. Further, the price increases remain for all orders post-March first and per earnings call the reservations are at the same pace prior to the hike. But it was wise for them to give all the old reservation holders price lock. Ultimately now a max pack adventure is more expensive than a fully loaded Hummer so there goes that argument..

edit

Looks like max isn't presently offered at the moment on the R1S, only R1T now. Quick correction since Rivian removed that as well it looks like. Regardless, they share similar price points.
GM is hand building all the Ultium packs until Q3 when the Ultium plant comes online. They might be ahead of schedule but it's not public info.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
GM is hand building all the Ultium packs until Q3 when the Ultium plant comes online. They might be ahead of schedule but it's not public info.
Lordstown Ultium plant should start limited production in a few months, but will be very slow to ramp, battery plants have to ramp slow and careful, or problems will ensue. It took Panasonic about 5 years to get Tesla Giga Nevada to full production.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I am taking the under on 21K Hummers for 2022, <10K delivered is likely more like it. GM is desperate as their stock has been crushed and top analysts are telling investors to run and hide from GM stock. As a result of this desperation GM is making statements about production increases, but I would take all of them with a grain of salt. I see GM having management shakeup this summer/fall, likely Mary and Mark are going to be out.

Rivian will crush the Hummer Ev in deliveries in 2022, and not only because of the price... Look at EV media members that have driven both, which are they buying? Kilowatts Rivian, Electrek Rivian, Kyle Connor Rivian, Tom Moloughney Rivian. Even here on the board, people who have received their Hummers are selling, some buying Rivian.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
General market downturn. I say this as a GM stockholder and a general investor.
Shall we look at the timing of GM stock large decline, compared to Adam Jonas comments? General market downturn? The Dow Jones Industrials are down 5% since early January, GM down 50%, so that is not tracking with the market. GM is in trouble as investors have lost faith in current management.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Curious Where did you see 21,000 hummers this year? I don’t follow every announcement.

Last I saw was ~1,200 from I believe the president of GM on CNBC, and he was specifically referencing the first editions I think - that was a few months back and the links were posted on here.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Curious Where did you see 21,000 hummers this year? I don’t follow every announcement.

Last I saw was ~1,200 from I believe the president of GM on CNBC, and he was specifically referencing the first editions I think - that was a few months back and the links were posted on here.
Gm said that right after their last earnings report when Adam Jonas came out and dropped a sh-- bomb on GM stock saying he has lost faith in GM's EV plans. Adam said GM is too slow, and have not shown the ability to smoothly scale EV's. That was the day after GM had a fire at Milford Proving Grounds which took 2 fire brigades to extinguish. With the info that leaked, had to be an EV fire if the buildings fire sprinklers could not extinguish it. GM should have made a statement to clarify... but instead just made a muddy statement that they thought the fire was in the cars 12v system... huh?

·
Registered
2019, Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,305 Posts
Gm said that right after their last earnings report when Adam Jonas came out and dropped a sh-- bomb on GM stock saying he has lost faith in GM's EV plans. Adam said GM is too slow, and have not shown the ability to smoothly scale EV's. That was the day after GM had a fire at Milford Proving Grounds which took 2 fire brigades to extinguish. With the info that leaked, had to be an EV fire if the buildings fire sprinklers could not extinguish it. GM should have made a statement to clarify... but instead just made a muddy statement that they thought the fire was in the cars 12v system... huh?

O'Brian said GM’s fire brigade, which is a team of trained emergency personnel that patrol corporate campuses, noticed smoke in a building and called 911. Brighton and Milford firefighters responded to the call.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire because the building's sprinkler system had already largely put it out, O'Brian said.
It was not a large fire nor did it do significant damage.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

It was not a large fire nor did it do significant damage.
Right, but GM stated it was a vehicle that caught fire, and it was electrical fire. You see Adam Jonas note came out the next day? Adam may have non public information? but I think GM did a terrible job of explaining the situation which with their recent history of fires leaves a lot of gap for assumptions, none of them good. If it was a 12V battery in an ice vehicle the building sprinklers would have put it out.

·
Registered
2019, Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,305 Posts
Right, but GM stated it was a vehicle that caught fire, and it was electrical fire. You see Adam Jonas note came out the next day? Adam may have non public information? but I think GM did a terrible job of explaining the situation which with their recent history of fires leaves a lot of gap for assumptions, none of them good. If it was a 12V battery in an ice vehicle the building sprinklers would have put it out.
building's sprinkler system had already largely put it out, O'Brian said.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Tom, the way you post, sometimes makes me think your a bot: randomly rehashing old info to push a narrative, random sporadic outburst that don’t line up with the rest of your “persona”. You almost pass the Turing test, but occasionally…
Haha, what is a bot? I am pissed at GM right now, because I do not think they are forthcoming with critical information for customers/investors. When Adam Jonas put out his note, I though t he was premature to be bailing on GM, but since have seen a 50% reduction in the stock, and unclear guidance going forward.

On the Hummer I go back and forth, there is lots to like, and lots to dislike. I think it could be easily made a lot better, but it is frustrating as heck that GM is falling into their old habit of continuing to push inferior product out the door, rather then showing the hunger they claim to have in the movie today, and fixing issues at "ventilator" speed. How GM does with the Hummer is bigger than the Hummer, its the future direction of the company, and they need to be more like Tesla, when there are product shortfalls, fix them ASAP, no matter where you are in the production run. No excuse for squeaky roofs, to me that is an inexcusable flaw in a new production vehicle, and tells me there is deflection in the chassis, which could be a bigger issue long term.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.