GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
The lift and tire kit looks pretty good, I personally would get a smaller wheel with a thicker tire. But MAN, what really catches my eye is the COLOR.

This thing looks absolutely [email protected]$$ in black. That's incredible.

Reactions: tappedout73

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard of the aftermarket building lift kits yet... I am assuming that even though they are electric the suspension hardware would be the same as a gas or diesel truck, but what about the air suspension and "extract mode" seems like there would be some more involved design elements. I agree that it looks good lifted, but as I am getting older climbing up is less appealing, but I would be curious as to how quickly the aftermarket can get going.... Does anyone know if they can get info from GM early with a NDA or something so that they can start designing? Sort of like cellphone case manufacturers seem to be able to have designs before the newest models hit the market...

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard of the aftermarket building lift kits yet... I am assuming that even though they are electric the suspension hardware would be the same as a gas or diesel truck, but what about the air suspension and "extract mode" seems like there would be some more involved design elements. I agree that it looks good lifted, but as I am getting older climbing up is less appealing, but I would be curious as to how quickly the aftermarket can get going.... Does anyone know if they can get info from GM early with a NDA or something so that they can start designing? Sort of like cellphone case manufacturers seem to be able to have designs before the newest models hit the market...
Well compared to most pickups, this truck doesn't have any live axles...it's entirely independent suspension all around. That means that lifting it will require a lot more time and expense as opposed to, say, a Silverado. And especially the Hummer with it's air ride, it's going to be a relatively complex system stock. In my humble opinion only, I'd simply leave it stock...you could get a small boost with some spacers, but anything beyond that probably isn't worth the modification of the control arms, steering rods, etc. Too pricey and dicey.

That being said, an easy way to get a bit of a boost in height is to fit the Hummer with 37 inch tires...it comes 37 inch capable straight from the factory. That's as far as I would personally go, and I doubt too many aftermarket companies will try to attempt better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well compared to most pickups, this truck doesn't have any live axles...it's entirely independent suspension all around. That means that lifting it will require a lot more time and expense as opposed to, say, a Silverado. And especially the Hummer with it's air ride, it's going to be a relatively complex system stock. In my humble opinion only, I'd simply leave it stock...you could get a small boost with some spacers, but anything beyond that probably isn't worth the modification of the control arms, steering rods, etc. Too pricey and dicey.

That being said, an easy way to get a bit of a boost in height is to fit the Hummer with 37 inch tires...it comes 37 inch capable straight from the factory. That's as far as I would personally go, and I doubt too many aftermarket companies will try to attempt better.
That is what I was thinking.... I like the look of it stock, or maybe adding the 37's but I was just curious after seeing the pictures (photoshop)... But I was thinking that a lift with the complexity of the air ride and 4 wheel steer and whatnot would definitely be more involved than an IFS truck with a straight axle rear suspension...

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
That is what I was thinking.... I like the look of it stock, or maybe adding the 37's but I was just curious after seeing the pictures (photoshop)... But I was thinking that a lift with the complexity of the air ride and 4 wheel steer and whatnot would definitely be more involved than an IFS truck with a straight axle rear suspension...
Yeah, I agree with you, it would definitely be more expensive. If lift kits start making their way to market, it probably won't be for several years after the first Edition One's start hitting the road. There are just so many components to this particular suspension setup that make it complicated to mod. On the limited info we know now, you'd probably need entirely new control arms, tie rods, maybe even CV axles. That takes time to engineer, and the cost will likely be high.

The main issue is that the suspension has limited travel in stock form...adding a lift expands the travel beyond the stock settings, limiting it with the new suspension kit. Stock, it has 13 inches of travel...with a lift kit, that could be decreased to 10, 9, even 8 inches, unless entirely new parts are swapped in. The end result definitely hurts off-road ability.

Though I will say this @Bboozer1, as these kits start making their way to market, we'll be sure to keep owners posted here. Who knows, maybe someone will develop an effective and relatively affordable example that you can use later on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
First off, that rendering w/ the lift is off the charts AWESOME!

Secondly, hello everyone, new to the site and been trying to get my reservation in, but the GMC/Hummer site seems to be having issues. I made up my mind when I saw the optional upgrades to the Edition 1 motors and battery, Having a RAM with air ride suspension, I can definitely speak to the fact that it is more complicated and it seems like very few companies have been willing to invest the R&D to develop one. I leveled my RAM at this point and called it a day.

That said, I'm not one for massive height, but I am one for the offset look. I'm hoping the factory setup will accept some negative offset wheels which IMO will give it a more aggressive look. Other than that, this thing is simply incredible to look at and can't think of anything else I would do.

As for companies starting on kits already, I'd have a hard time thinking they are, simply because they are going to need to be able to get their hands on one to do the development work and unless they have someone on the inside....I don't know how that would happen.

Happy Sunday to you all!

N

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
@natew51, welcome to the forums!!

I agree with everything you said in your comment, it's definitely going take time and expense, say nothing of a lot of high-end engineering. Should be interesting to see what happens. Also, I'm a diehard GM guy, but credit where credit is due...Ram has now TWICE turned the truck market on it's head, in the mid 90s and in the last 2 years. That ride is so compliant...and sales are reflecting that.

As an aside, what issues are you having with online reservations? Again, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5 Posts
@StillHummer,
Thank you for the warm welcome....glad to be here!!

Yes, RAM has definitely taken some big strides over the past years and my 2019 half ton has really been great so far, but I know I'm going to be itching to make a move. I've thought long and hard about the TRX and while I would love one, I just don't feel like their is enough of a change to make it worth me spending another $40 to $50K over my Limited that I've already customized to my liking. Yes, tons of HP and fancy suspension components....but the EV Hummer gives you both of those plus takes it to an entirely different level....as if I have to tell you or anyone else on this forum that! :) My only concern that I need to come to grips with is the range. For my daily commute....no issues. However my family lives about 400ish miles away and understanding the impact of the infrastructure and how all that works is still something I need work out.

Ok, about the GMC site. I've tried 4 or 5 times to make my reservation and each time I get an error message at the end when clicking submit. It says that there is a problem with the system and try again later. I will go try it one more time yet this evening and report back if I'm still having issues.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
First off, that rendering w/ the lift is off the charts AWESOME!

Secondly, hello everyone, new to the site and been trying to get my reservation in, but the GMC/Hummer site seems to be having issues. I made up my mind when I saw the optional upgrades to the Edition 1 motors and battery, Having a RAM with air ride suspension, I can definitely speak to the fact that it is more complicated and it seems like very few companies have been willing to invest the R&D to develop one. I leveled my RAM at this point and called it a day.

That said, I'm not one for massive height, but I am one for the offset look. I'm hoping the factory setup will accept some negative offset wheels which IMO will give it a more aggressive look. Other than that, this thing is simply incredible to look at and can't think of anything else I would do.

As for companies starting on kits already, I'd have a hard time thinking they are, simply because they are going to need to be able to get their hands on one to do the development work and unless they have someone on the inside....I don't know how that would happen.

Happy Sunday to you all!

N
Welcome to the club @natew51! What kind of Ram do you own? I'm with you about the suspension kits. Unless GM is lending people prototypes or partnering with companies like Ford does with Yakima for accessories we won't be seeing stuff like that for a while.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome to the club @natew51! What kind of Ram do you own? I'm with you about the suspension kits. Unless GM is lending people prototypes or partnering with companies like Ford does with Yakima for accessories we won't be seeing stuff like that for a while.
@natew51, welcome to the forums!!

I agree with everything you said in your comment, it's definitely going take time and expense, say nothing of a lot of high-end engineering. Should be interesting to see what happens. Also, I'm a diehard GM guy, but credit where credit is due...Ram has now TWICE turned the truck market on it's head, in the mid 90s and in the last 2 years. That ride is so compliant...and sales are reflecting that.

As an aside, what issues are you having with online reservations? Again, welcome aboard!
I have been a GM guy too, but had a Ram as a work truck.... A stripped down one with bare bones no cruise or power anything... It still wasn't a bad truck, but several of my sub-contractors had Nice Rams with lifts and I have ridden in them and they are NICE... Ram's BIG infotainment screen made the redesigned GM's screens look dinky... I too have some questions about longer road trips and having to PLAN for extended amounts of time to re-charge, but with a little planning I will figure it out I guess..

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I have been a GM guy too, but had a Ram as a work truck.... A stripped down one with bare bones no cruise or power anything... It still wasn't a bad truck, but several of my sub-contractors had Nice Rams with lifts and I have ridden in them and they are NICE... Ram's BIG infotainment screen made the redesigned GM's screens look dinky... I too have some questions about longer road trips and having to PLAN for extended amounts of time to re-charge, but with a little planning I will figure it out I guess..
Those infotainment screens are impressive from Ram. Not only are they huge the interface is really responsive to use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Oakwood @Bboozer1

Hey Guys, yeah...overall the truck has been good. The big screen is great and as Oakwood mentioned...responsive. This is a Limited, but I've done quite a bit to it. Changed out the chrome mirror caps, removed the chrome door runners, changed the letters and tailgate logo to black as well as the hood emblems, wrapped the chrome grill, tinted windows, leveled it and then put on the wheels and tires. Factory wheels and tires don't even have 100 mile on them...ha.

I've got about 20K on it now and recently had an electrical issue. Battery died randomly and once I got it going a number of electrical gremlins....lost climate control, cameras stopped working, etc. Took it in and they put a long charge on it and it "magically resolved" itself. Was good for a month and now I'm starting to have issues w/ the keyless unlock (grabbing the handle) and a few other minor things. Could be something simple, but something tells me once something like this starts....it doesn't get better, but we will see. Still love the truck, but it will fade quickly if we don't get this resolved. Just hate to start over as it was a lot of work and messing around to get it the way I wanted it.

1614125067184.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this message still appearing when you try to make a reservation?
Actually haven't gone back and tried recently. Been a busy week so far. On top of it all, I got a call from my sales guy I bought my truck from and they got a TRX in today and so he had me come drive it. Cool truck, but this particular one was stripped way down, so besides the massive engine, wasn't overly impressed. Fun times though!!

Need to get back and try the site again and see if I can get it in. Will keep you all posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts