GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree that it will be priced higher than the truck (Edition One). I would like to see third row seating. I really hope there will be an option for captain seats in the second row, but I know that it is unlikely. I hope it arrives no later than summer 2022.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will be surprised if it does not have 3 rows of seating. Following Rivian's lead, it might also have less battery capacity in the biggest battery model. I hope not, but it may need to make room to store the 3rd row when folded flat.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that it will be priced higher than the truck (Edition One). I would like to see third row seating. I really hope there will be an option for captain seats in the second row, but I know that it is unlikely. I hope it arrives no later than summer 2022.
I think that is exactly how the interior will be equipped, captains chairs 2nd row, just like Yukon, and Escalade. GM's new interior design on the large SUV's is their best yet.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be surprised if it does not have 3 rows of seating. Following Rivian's lead, it might also have less battery capacity in the biggest battery model. I hope not, but it may need to make room to store the 3rd row when folded flat.
Interesting point on the folding 3rd row... I had not thought about that yet. I think the 3rd row is over the rear axle though, no battery pack there.

·
Super Moderator
517 Posts
Here is the latest SUV Teaser

What are others expecting on the SUV?

I expect First Edition SUV $118K, Available Mid 2022, similar specs to SUT

I'm with you on everything you said. The one thing I'm kind of expecting not to see, though, is a third row...something just tells me it won't get it. I don't know why. I think they'll go the Hummer H3 route, not the H2.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm with you on everything you said. The one thing I'm kind of expecting not to see, though, is a third row...something just tells me it won't get it. I don't know why. I think they'll go the Hummer H3 route, not the H2.
Well, I have been wrong once before, but that was many years ago... haha! Just kidding of course... I am sure it will have 3 rows from the design and where the rear doors are. This vehicle is bigger than H3, and ever a little bigger then H2. I think it's basically the SUT with 12" cut off the back (same wheelbase) and a roof over the bed, exactly following Yukon interior proportions (even the same seats with different coverings). I think it is even going to have the removable roof panels from the SUT.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me,

If three row seating, SUV > Truck

Two row seating for both, Truck > SUV
I think in the long run the Hummer SUV will definitely be the higher volume play for GMC. Hummer EV SUV is definitely coming with 3 rows, after @MCH comment above I went back and looked at the chassis cutaway, definitely space to fold the 3rd row, just like the new Yukon, Tahoe, Escalade triplets which fold the 3rd row on top of the interior floor (rear cargo floor is higher).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think in the long run the Hummer SUV will definitely be the higher volume play for GMC. Hummer EV SUV is definitely coming with 3 rows, after @MCH comment above I went back and looked at the chassis cutaway, definitely space to fold the 3rd row, just like the new Yukon, Tahoe, Escalade triplets which fold the 3rd row on top of the interior floor (rear cargo floor is higher).
Looks like I was wrong... 2 row? Price... Everything...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I rushed and quickly placed a deposit so I could secure an Edition 1. Now, I am reviewing the details. Two rows, Green color, 300 mile range...

I am sticking with the Edition 1 Truck

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I rushed and quickly placed a deposit so I could secure an Edition 1. Now, I am reviewing the details. Two rows, Green color, 300 mile range...

Same here, I was totally wrong on everything SUV, I like the SUT much better... I think GM geared this to the serious off roader, shortened the wheelbase, smaller battery pack looks like 20 module vs 24 module on the SUT.

·
Registered
04' HUMMER H2
36 Posts

A much shorter wheelbase too. SUT is indeed the way to go for those wanting more of a Hummer, and others. For those reasons I think this poll will be interesting when it gets enough votes:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Boss, you were right... Some interesting design decisions on the SUV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m new here and can’t wait until either is available. I’m on the waitlist for the SUT and I managed, with a lot of refreshing, to get a reservation today for the Edition 1 SUV. Frankly, I’m going to get whichever I can the soonest. The biggest advantage that the SUT has got me is that it will be available a year earlier than the SUV.
David

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m new here and can’t wait until either is available. I’m on the waitlist for the SUT and I managed, with a lot of refreshing, to get a reservation today for the Edition 1 SUV. Frankly, I’m going to get whichever I can the soonest. The biggest advantage that the SUT has got me is that it will be available a year earlier than the SUV.
David
Welcome David... Yes, the SUT will be starting low rate production this summer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, the SUV looks great. I am surprised they made it smaller, but I think it makes sense. I think the size of the SUT will make it difficult to fit into a one car garage, so maybe they figured the typical buyer of the SUV would want something smaller. It is disappointing there is no 3rd row seating, because so many will cross it off their list. I have been following Rivian closely for more than a year, and it appears their marketing research determined three row seating that can fold flat was more important than range. They are probably right. I rarely need a third row, maybe once or twice a year. It is really nice to have it when you need it. But still - range in a BEV is king, and I personally would rather have range than that 3rd row.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, the SUV looks great. I am surprised they made it smaller, but I think it makes sense. I think the size of the SUT will make it difficult to fit into a one car garage, so maybe they figured the typical buyer of the SUV would want something smaller. It is disappointing there is no 3rd row seating, because so many will cross it off their list. I have been following Rivian closely for more than a year, and it appears their marketing research determined three row seating that can fold flat was more important than range. They are probably right. I rarely need a third row, maybe once or twice a year. It is really nice to have it when you need it. But still - range in a BEV is king, and I personally would rather have range than that 3rd row.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but on Range vs 3rd row. iIf you make a vehicle longer typically there is no aerodynamic penalty, so it just adds a small amount of mass, which effects real world range less. Also if you make a vehicle longer you can fit more batteries similar to Hummer SUV which has 20 battery cell modules over the SUT which has 24 modules. SUT bigger battery = more range. GM made a design decision to make the Hummer SUV shorter for whatever reason (I think a mistake when you understand the customer base that will buy and can afford this) The lack of a 3rd row led me and quite a few others to instantly cross the Hummer SUV off our shopping list. Also the schedule, 2 years out? Why are they showing it now? GM is starting to play Tesla's game now of showing vehicles that are too far out, and I am not impressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with most of what you are saying, but on Range vs 3rd row. iIf you make a vehicle longer typically there is no aerodynamic penalty, so it just adds a small amount of mass, which effects real world range less. Also if you make a vehicle longer you can fit more batteries similar to Hummer SUV which has 20 battery cell modules over the SUT which has 24 modules. SUT bigger battery = more range. GM made a design decision to make the Hummer SUV shorter for whatever reason (I think a mistake when you understand the customer base that will buy and can afford this) The lack of a 3rd row led me and quite a few others to instantly cross the Hummer SUV off our shopping list. Also the schedule, 2 years out? Why are they showing it now? GM is starting to play Tesla's game now of showing vehicles that are too far out, and I am not impressed.
With the SUV it appears GM is going after the Bronco and Jeep Wrangler "two row seat" market, instead of the Tahoe or Suburban "three row seat" market. I bet they will produce an electric Suburban at some point, but they have nothing that competes with the Wrangler - until now. So they are entering that market segment with a BEV, instead of an ICE vehicle like Ford is doing. I think it is very smart of them.

I kind of like a lot of information early, as long as they don't follow the Tesla process of promising something that never comes - or comes much later than promised.

The range factor is significant. It would have been wise IMO to squeeze the biggest battery into the SUV, but then it would have to be longer (as you said). And while I agree that a third row is a minimal impact on range from a weight perspective, if you want the third row to fold flat, there might not be room over the battery to make it work. Rivian had to take out some of the battery to get the third row to fold flat. They originally planned to offer the longest range SUV as a two row model only, but I saw a lot of complaints on the forums about that. So now Rivian's longest range SUV will have a smaller battery than the truck, and a third row of seats. People are complaining about that also, but not as much. At least from what I can tell.

So I think GM has the same issue - either reduce the battery to 16 cells (for example) to make room for the third row, or don't put in a third row. Since they appear to be building a Wrangler competitor, the third row is not really needed anyway, so the decision is easy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts