GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I get in my HEV today and it says the key fob cannot be detected. I get the second key fob and it gives the same error. I read the owner's manual and placed the key in the 'key pocket' as instructed, which I deduce is the 2nd cup holder. Same problem. Batteries in the FOB's are good and they both work fine otherwise, they lock/unlock, lower the tailgate, and even remote start. At this point, I'm at a loss. The drive battery is 100% charged and the 12V battery is operating accessories fine.

Any suggestions would be super helpful; my house is on the side of a mountain here in AZ with a narrow, steep uphill driveway, towing will be difficult.

· Registered
514 Posts
I would try disconnecting the 12V longer. Others here no how long as you have to reset the windows before shifting into gear. The TFL Hummer “break down” video features it as well. I would try starting it via the app then seeing if the fob is detected.

I would also try taking out the fob battery and putting it back inside the truck. Heck, I would try a new fob battery before I had it towed. Good luck and let us know what works.

· Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
876 Posts
hmmm, haven’t heard of anyone bringing this problem up before. Interested to find out what the issue is
I have had this happen on my Bolt at least twice. Both times I swapped the batteries in the fob and it worked again. It would also lock and unlock the car. Putting the fob in the console slot did allow me to start the car, I think that puts it close to the receiver antenna and picks up the weak signal.

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,210 Posts
I have had this happen on my Bolt at least twice. Both times I swapped the batteries in the fob and it worked again. It would also lock and unlock the car. Putting the fob in the console slot did allow me to start the car, I think that puts it close to the receiver antenna and picks up the weak signal.
I'm 99% sure that a dead fob (battery) works in that spot because the transceiver is actually powering the fob as though it were entirely passive.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would try disconnecting the 12V longer. Others here no how long as you have to reset the windows before shifting into gear. The TFL Hummer “break down” video features it as well. I would try starting it via the app then seeing if the fob is detected.

I would also try taking out the fob battery and putting it back inside the truck. Heck, I would try a new fob battery before I had it towed. Good luck and let us know what works.
Disconnected for over an hour, and still no luck.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I placed both fobs in the 2nd cupholder and it still didn't work.

· Super Moderator
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,684 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts