GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The truck is amazing and technology is crazy.
I was lucky and got number 52.
I have decided to sell it. Does anyone know a good website or advertising location to help with the sale? Or anyone that is interested in buying?

I got the illumination package and the sky panel storage for the Etrunk.
Only 150 miles.
View attachment 2258
View attachment 2263
View attachment 2262
View attachment 2260
View attachment 2261
View attachment 2259
Cars and Bids seems to do well selling them. Sold 3 of them last month for $230-261K

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I just feel like these posts embolden dealers to push for markups. $100 reservations are turning into lottery tickets and the dealers must question the process. I actually wish GM enforced a 6 month right of first refusal for the Hummer, as it would significantly cut down on speculators and order conversions resulting in more deliveries to those further down the reservation list intending to keep it.

Also, this is another one that probably belongs in the classifieds. You really trying to tell me that the seller hasn't heard of Cars and Bids or BaT?
You can hold yours... I can sell mine... If GM tries to control what buyers do with their cars, thats when I move on and no longer an investor.

The market controls flipping, when there is more production flipping will lose its value. I already see it happening, the latest one on C & B is struggling to get the price...

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I'm a believer in the free market process and supply and demand, but I also believe some restrictions on early deliveries would improve the dealership experience. I know that you agree that the dealership model is broken on high demand vehicles.
I do not like Dealers because they are greedy, they try to get buyers on the price, lowball their trade, rip them on financing, and then try to sell them overpriced services they do not need.

I am all about a free market, when you add rules there is always abuses or odd situations, so it becomes arbitrary. Tesla has the best plan, everyone pays the same...

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second, just on price, as there are dealers that do exactly what you are saying on financing and service contracts which I don't agree with. The Hummers are too new right now to show a book value so let's go off of what we have seen. They are averaging about $240,000 right now Retail price. A value is a value no matter who is selling it. There is trade value and retail value. MSRP is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price which isn't bound by GM and what the dealers have to sell a vehicle for.

So if the average Retail price of a Hummer right now is $240,000 why can Person A sell it down the street at auction making a profit and is applauded. Yet when a dealer goes by Retail pricing they are scorned to the bottom of the earth. Can it not be considered greedy ordering a car with the intention to drive it and enjoy it only to sell it for a quick buck? I can only imagine the words Al Oppenheiser is using after we were begging him for info just to see what he spent so much time engineering be endlessly flipped. I'm all for making money that's why I enjoy sales, but greed is greed to me in this situation.
I could go on and on on this, A dealer is a middleman that transfers the vehicle from seller (manufacture) to buyer. The dealer is not the manufacture, or engineer, they are simply a middleman with very little risk or exposure. Dealers who think they are speculators, and therefore want to make the vehicles up, are pissing off buyers, and many will leave the brand, therefore these dealers are damaging the manufacturer for taking these actions. Now, the dealers and their employees can speculate and try to sign up to get cars themselves on release , I have no problem with that, and then they can like me do whatever they want with it. But for selling new cars I do not think markups are a good idea, they will force the manufactures to change their sales channels.

On the greed issue, I have no problem if you as a salesman flip your car you reserved, same if you owned the dealership, but for the dealer to mark up cars that are just passing through, again, it's damaging to the brand and manufacture. Think of it like Rivian, they tried to raise prices on their reservation holders because of increased cost, and it went over like a lead ball in the water... Now Rivian is the manufacture, and was just trying to cover their cost, and their reservation page said right on it "ESTIMATED PRICE", they were not being greedy, they just wanted to recover their inflated cost. They quickly thought about it, and decided the damage to the brand is not worth the $$ they would gain by the higher prices, and went back to their old prices. Rivian said yesterday on their earnings call, even at the new prices they are getting orders at a higher rate than they are producing, so their backlog is growing. Also, not sure if you notices GM and Ford got double downgrades today on battery cost inflation.

I think eventually GM is going to have to take more steps to force dealers to change their habits, or they will have to set up their own alternative sales channels in states that allow it.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
But if dealers are seeing what these are actually selling for on the market that takes it past speculation. Now there is hard evidence of what an inflated market value they hold. It's pisses buyers off because they are now the ones who can't make the money, that's really what it boils down to. The crappy part about this is should I flip my Hummer I will lose my job and not from the family who owns the dealership, but I would be in violation of the new car franchise agreement. I also would not be able to work at another GM store. So while it sounds great about doing whatever I want with my Hummer that really isn't the case. We are lumped into the dealership model and I cannot benefit as an outside buyer would.

As far as marking cars up that are passing through, since yes we are a middle man, it's hard for me to see both sides. I've been delivering a brand new ordered 2021 Sport Escalade with an MSRP of $96,615 sell for exactly that as we don't charge over MSRP, while we are simultaneously selling a Certified Pre Owned 2021 Sport Escalade listed for $109,000 because that's what the books showed the value to be. That Preowned Escalade stickered for around $97,000 originally. We bought it from a guy off the street and gave him over his original sticker price while still selling it for profit on our end. So it's fine when it's used because used car prices are subject to market fluctuations, but if we had sold that new Escalade in the same day for over MSRP we are greedy and destroying GM. The person buying the preowned one knew what the market value was and what the original MSRP was yet he still wanted it and still paid for it. Now we removed the dealer selling vs an individual selling as we sold both of them. Is it still bad on our end we sold a vehicle for actual market value, but used and not new.
You are making a good point, perhaps GM should raise the MSRP to market value, and make the profit themselves since they actually add value to the vehicle? Sounds to me like GM is leaving money on the table, and dealers trying to get that profit themselves as a middle man... To be honest it comes down to whether I think dealers add value, no I don't... I think if the manufacture just sold me the car online and it it showed up at my house, I would completely cut out the middleman. (just like Tesla and Rivian) Service could be a separate business, and is all paid anyway, whether it is GM paying the customer.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Think we're agreeing here, but to me there's a big difference between marking up an allocation of the dealership's vs. marking up a customer's reservation/allocation (e.g., Hummer, Lightning, Bronco, Chevy Silverado EV, etc.). If the dealership orders the car and has it on the lot, markups make sense and I have the ability to shop around for the lowest overall price. That said, I assume no one (or almost no one) knew in the 30 seconds they had to think about which GMC dealer to use for their reservation whether they'd be subject to an ADM almost two years later or not (same thing with Broncos and Lightnings), and the dealer played no part in our sitting in front of the computer at the right time mashing the refresh button until our reservations went through.
I would rather just say F the dealer and have GM deliver the car right to my house, Did it with Tesla, stress free and a good car buying experience.

One of my Buddies got his Rivian R1T yesterday, said the delivery experience is awesome.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
There are certainly lessons to be learned from the Tesla model. Although both of our Teslas have required weeks of post-delivery repairs so they're also not perfect and their crazy variable pricing is also not a great model.
Ya, Tesla QC needs work, but that has nothing to do with the sales and delivery model. Rivian's get delivered in pretty good shape, far less quality issues than early tesla's

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
If they raised the MSRP to the current market value, that is based on a tiny little amount of produced trucks, it wouldn't be an accurate price to keep very long. They would definitely get a bad rap and they would shrink their addressable sales market to sale to into just a small % of the current population that has reservations. They are better off selling in volume than selling a small amount to the very rich (by standards that can afford the EV1).
Exactly.. Market value when your comparable is 3 Hummers sold on C and B when only 100 have been delivered is a bogus number. In a month the market value will be lower, 2 months even lower, and when production meets demand used value will be below MSRP. Dealers are just robbing people right now, trying to get whatever they can because there is a shortage of supply. It's a temporary market value, not the real market value.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Just like EV's will be mainstream eventually compared to ICE.. i think the middleman dealer sales concept will too. Tesla has disrupted the market in a good way for consumers... I've had multiple Tesla's... The direct to customer sales is the best. Only since the Hummer is a "niche" vehicle am I willing to put up with the dealer experience. And if they ask for too much of a markup... I'll go back to Tesla, it's not worth the headache to flip it for me unless it makes $100k over... Which may not last much longer.
Exactly, the double returns might be over already, watching one on C & B now...

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Fair enough lol, I get that feeling 100%.

I don't agree with you there. There's going to be those dealerships that see the anger towards the markups, and they'll sell for MSRP, or right around there. And they'll sell way more of them then most of the dealers with the crazy mark ups. Will some dealers get away with $260k Hummers because someone wealthy enough to afford that sees the ad? Sure, but that's how the free market goes. But if you think that a post on a forum is the thing that will be the catalyst for dealers marking up Hummers...you're sadly mistaken.

Also, there's no issue with someone trying to sell their Hummer here, happens on every car forum known to man. Frankly, I appreciate them coming here first, it offers some validity to us that we're the only game in town (or online, but I digress) when it comes to all-things Hummer EV info, questions and community. You buy a Hummer, you come here. We've actually been recommended by the team that built the truck to prospective owners. And if they want to sell their car here, then sell away, my friend.

I get the frustration totally, but getting angry at someone selling their Hummer right after delivery doesn't solve anything, or change anything for that matter. Better off to accept that this is what happens today with white-hot automotive products.
I do not understand @travwill and his frustration, if the people in front of him in line sell their Hummers, that does not change his place in line or when he gets his truck, right? Its not like GM is saying let's hold back @travwill truck while these other people flip theirs. GM is building and moving out the trucks as fast as they can, if you are frustrated it should be with GM's website that was crashing when orders were placed, and therefore manipulating the order of which reservations were taken, that was truly frustrating. Or you could be frustrated that GM opened up orders for some VIP's before the public was allowed to order, but sorry fellow, that is life on any product. VIP's always get benefits.

I feel bad being so harsh on dealers because I think @BigJonEV works for one of the good ones that does business in a fair manner, and likely does offer some value to the customer, but generally dealers are not that way, and when people wander to their local dealer to buy a car, they get ripped off one way or another. I think direct sales is a better way to go for a multitude reasons, and eventually the legacy companies will have to come around on this, or dealership franchise contracts will have to be updated with better language around sales and pricing. Dealerships can make good money selling EV's but they have to change their operations as well, one price, no negotiation, no sales manger/salesman back and forth, here is the price, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
More of a view of these buyers are getting to skip in line ahead of us versus wait their turn of a different model, just because they slip someone in line more $$$ to get out of line and take their place. That analogy help ya? Yes that is frustrating, but its a free market.
Ya, but I think many people are selling because of the opportunity, not because they do not want the Hummer, many will re order after they sell. Now, Brian Mello who works at a GMC dealer and has a channel on You tube said he ordered intending to flip... thats your guy to be frustrated with, not the guys like @Dark-Fx who just took advantage of an opportunity to make some money, and will likely re-order.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
To be fair @Tom E-Tron dealerships have brought this on ourselves for decades. We earned distrust by using devious sales tactics that still haven't ended either for some. I hear what people are saying about Direct Sales and it might be another case of start something on the coasts and it moving inland. However, here even with no cars on the lot and telling people you almost have to order to make sure you get a car people still want to touch, see, smell the new car. I've told hundreds of people if they wait for this to show up on the lot to see it they will not get it. We take so many deposits on inbound units that the chances of inventory showing up not sold is few and far between. I believe there are still enough people out there that want to go to the dealership and want to see all of their options that the dealer model is far from dead for most major manufacturers.

What I will say on price as you mentioned, the best thing to come out of this scarcity is little to no negotiations. People are so happy that we even have a car they want, when you say here is the price, it's MSRP nothing less and nothing more, they take it. We have very little back and forth here and many 1st pencil closes. There just isn't anything to it anymore. They either ordered it or looked everywhere and we have the only one. I hope this stays around, because it honestly seems more refreshing to the customers as well. Been many more pleasant experiences than I ever had going back and forth with people.
Eventually Dealers should do direct sales, everyone pays MSRP, and no chiseling, and the dealership can cut down some staff and save cost if all deals are done on a website.

We are stuck in this short supply for a while, I see it until 2024 at least

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I’m in process of trading in my car for a used Model S because I no longer feel like I can justify spending over $5 on gas while getting <15 mpg with my daily driver. Before looking at used Teslas, I looked at new Teslas, the BMW i4, Mach-Es, etc., but in each case the wait was too long for my purposes (not to mention the horrendous dealership experiences I had with the i4). Three of my neighbors have also traded in ICE vehicles for EVs in the last two months (Model 3, Mach-E, and E-Tron). In other words, gas prices have undoubtedly increased demand where I live and the savings on fuel are outweighing the cost from increases in interest rates.
You have to drive a lot of miles to justify a used model S trade, high gas price will not be forever, and an older model S is a money pit.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Haha appreciate the offer but one thing I can say with certainty is that I will not be selling my Hummer when I do ultimately get it.

re MS ground clearance, I can definitely see how that could be an issue in a rural area but I’m in the burbs so it’s luckily not an issue for me. Plus we have a Tahoe for anything that requires us to go off road. That will be our resident gas guzzler.
If you just want a temporary car and then going to resell, get a Model Y, more efficient and useful than a Model S, also cheaper, and when you re-sell or trade in on the Hummer value will not change much (like a free rental). Model S costs twice Model Y to insure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts