GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Registered
370 Posts
Again, if they're delayed, whatever, just start communicating and stop acting like everything's going smoothly and on schedule with 3X's and beyond. With all of the data they have, I'd settle for a "no sooner than" date. I don't even need a "at the latest" date, because I know schedules slip. I would just like the courtesy of knowing when a realistic "no sooner than ____" date. They know how many of each is reserved. They obviously have a timetable for when the sealant fix will be complete (end of Q1). Even just a "now serving" with how many people are in front of you on a personalized reservation page. Given all the info they have, they should be able to reliably estimate which reservations will be filled within the next year. But who knows. This has been and continues to be a failure to communicate more than anything else. No doubt because of their fear of investors, who are going to find out the bad news sooner or later, so why keep going through the charade? Instead of just unhappy investors, you end up with unhappy customers as well, and the cycle continues.

· Registered
157 Posts
Again, if they're delayed, whatever, just start communicating and stop acting like everything's going smoothly and on schedule with 3X's and beyond. With all of the data they have, I'd settle for a "no sooner than" date. I don't even need a "at the latest" date, because I know schedules slip. I would just like the courtesy of knowing when a realistic "no sooner than ____" date. They know how many of each is reserved. They obviously have a timetable for when the sealant fix will be complete (end of Q1). Even just a "now serving" with how many people are in front of you on a personalized reservation page. Given all the info they have, they should be able to reliably estimate which reservations will be filled within the next year. But who knows. This has been and continues to be a failure to communicate more than anything else. No doubt because of their fear of investors, who are going to find out the bad news sooner or later, so why keep going through the charade? Instead of just unhappy investors, you end up with unhappy customers as well, and the cycle continues.
This sums up my feelings perfectly. Just throw us a bone at this point.

· Administrator
Lincoln MKZ AWD, Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
757 Posts
Awesome, I stand by my concerns and I thought a delivery update for the forum would be good. I been waiting a year since I confirmed with a Summer 2022 date. I've lost interest
Ultium is entirely new platform for GM that built off the knowledge base of one car, the Chevy Bolt...which itself is almost entirely unrelated to this new EV platform sans the company and team members that built it. You can say the EV1 to an extent, but that was years ago.

Point being, this is still the earliest phase in the most massive transformation this company has ever seen. And in an unbelievably short time.

Delays will come as GM figures out how to best allocate resources in a large number of new products being put on the market at lightning speed...we won't se anything near normality until the decade begins to wrap up. If interest fades, it's understandable, but the line of demand won't.

Good luck with whatever you decide 👍

· Registered
608 Posts
Initial availability of the Hummer ED1 SUT was Fall 2021, and they literally sold a single unit to say they were on schedule.
And fall 2021 now became spring 2023 for many people…hard for GM to say they are “on track” at this point. Just to echo what everyone is saying…they need to freakin communicate with the 90,000 reservation holders!

· Registered
468 Posts
Soooooo the SUV ED 1 is relegated to back burner for now?

Asking for a friend..
I dunno if totally. I feel like the have produced all/a ton of the SUT Edition 1s that are already sitting/waiting so they won't just let the factory sit idle. They'll restart SUT and likely perhaps start SUVs on time still, or perhaps a quarter late. The big picture is they've always been about 6-9 months behind in their volume promises by delivering just 1, then like 99, then 500, etc. They always skirt by with the technicality of delivering at least one in the stated quarter which is a bit silly but likely so they can keep that statement in an earnings call.

· Registered
157 Posts
I dunno if totally. I feel like the have produced all/a ton of the SUT Edition 1s that are already sitting/waiting so they won't just let the factory sit idle. They'll restart SUT and likely perhaps start SUVs on time still, or perhaps a quarter late. The big picture is they've always been about 6-9 months behind in their volume promises by delivering just 1, then like 99, then 500, etc. They always skirt by with the technicality of delivering at least one in the stated quarter which is a bit silly but likely so they can keep that statement in an earnings call.
Agree. My guess: Production will start on time but Ed1 SUT deliveries will be prioritized in Q1(rightfully so). GM will deliver >0 but <5 SUVs in Q1 in order to claim the timeline was met but I wouldn’t expect all Ed1 SUVs to be delivered until Q4. Bigger delays with the 3X and lower trims, which GM will eventually have to acknowledge. However, a significant number of reservations will be cancelled between now and then, and GM will able to fulfill all existing 3X and 2X reservations by Q4 2024.

· Registered
370 Posts
Like I said, Priority one will likely be Edition 1s of each product. Gotta get that positive buzz, viral videos, social media clout, influencers, etc. It's hard to tell if they were ACTUALLY gung ho with production, talking up production being at 1000+ trucks a month by the end of 2022 or if the plan was always more of a wait and see. A controlled situation where Ed1's were the beta test and production would be adjusted depending on how well the rollout went. They appear to be in NO HURRY WHATSOEVER when it comes to anything beyond single spec models. You don't have to take orders, worry about variations in parts supply/demand, the paint shop only has to worry about one color at a time, and you can just build them as fast as you can without referring to a build sheet and the logistics of parts kits down an assembly line. They could at least be collecting orders from customers for 3X, 2X, etc. to have one less hiccup or delaying factor. Hell, I've had an orders locked in well over a year before they even built the cars before. The difference between what they've done so far and what they'd do if they never planned to make anything but Ed1s is nothing. So I fully expect SUV Ed1s to be what they immediately switch to building after they finish Ed1 trucks. Again, it's WAY easier to just start building identical SUVs than to start making customer trucks that vary in color, interior, options, etc.

· Registered
27 Posts
I just received the same email. I was originally a Summer 22 estimate and now also a Spring 23. I'm very frustrated overall and surprised it would still be MY22. I going through a similar situation with McLaren on their Artura. Ordered an early car which was built in late 21 or early 22 with a MY22 VIN but delays pushed delivery so much, it was somehow finalized as a MY23. I still haven't received that car either due to ongoing delays but at least the communication has been better.
I ordered an Arturo but didn’t take delivery. It’s at mclaren chicago if you want it.

· Registered
43 Posts
Interesting discussion for sure. This news is disturbing. As I have said on here before, I missed delivery by 1 day. Stop sale came down day before I was scheduled to pick it up as I was delayed due to travel. Fortunately I didn't pay for it. It's been at the dealer for 2 1/2 months now. As with others, my interest in taking delivery is waning, especially given a wait of probably 3+ more months.

My main issue is with GM's public position on EVs. Countless ads, Mary Barra coming on CNBC in front of a row of EVs and touting the future when they can't even deliver on what they promised. I realize that its all part of being a public company and appeasing shareholders but frankly is annoying to those of us that are following the situation closely.

Even Ms Barra's Twitter description:

Chair and CEO of
@GM. Currently driving a GMC HUMMER #EV and Chevy Bolt EUV. Focused on delivering an all-electric future.

Laughable.

· Registered
370 Posts
There's a disconnect between what's happening and what they're saying is happening that is becoming harder reconcile and ignore. The past year has been a steady stream of new EV announcements, constant airplay of the EV commercial playing Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere (and only one of the cars, the Bolt, is on sale, the others are 1-2 years away), the promotional videos, the visits to morning new shows, etc. There is a TON of flash but very little substance. The downside of being publicly traded. If they weren't they might be pulling back on some of the marketing until their hands catch up with their mouth.

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,225 Posts
There's a disconnect between what's happening and what they're saying is happening that is becoming harder reconcile and ignore. The past year has been a steady stream of new EV announcements, constant airplay of the EV commercial playing Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere (and only one of the cars, the Bolt, is on sale, the others are 1-2 years away), the promotional videos, the visits to morning new shows, etc. There is a TON of flash but very little substance. The downside of being publicly traded. If they weren't they might be pulling back on some of the marketing until their hands catch up with their mouth.
I have a feeling once the stop sale is lifted that we will be seeing a lot of deliveries. Who knows when that ends up being though.

· Registered
370 Posts
I have a feeling once the stop sale is lifted that we will be seeing a lot of deliveries. Who knows when that ends up being though.
Here's hoping. I'm just struggling to figure out why they aren't at least beginning to reach out and get orders for the first 3X customer trucks solidified. You'd think they'd want some data on parts/options preferences to make informed decisions on future parts orders from vendors at the least. The only reason that makes sense (besides bad management of the reservation program) is they ARE at least a quarter or two from even starting non "built to a single spec" models like the Edition 1s. It's unfathomable that they'd be working with a "just-in-time" order system where it's less than a week or two between a "how do you want your Hummer" email after 2+ years of no correspondence and your truck going down the line. You've got to account for indecisive customers, people on the fence about whether to actually go through with it, etc. Meanwhile the factory is (in theory) at max capacity with no direction on how to build the vehicles. If they don't plan on being able to make anything but Edition 1 models, that makes sense, but not if they want to move to the broader trim levels. If they are "building" Edition 1 trucks and SUVs at the rate they're claiming, they'll be flying blind, with no finalized customer orders within a couple weeks.

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,225 Posts
Here's hoping. I'm just struggling to figure out why they aren't at least beginning to reach out and get orders for the first 3X customer trucks solidified. You'd think they'd want some data on parts/options preferences to make informed decisions on future parts orders from vendors at the least. The only reason that makes sense (besides bad management of the reservation program) is they ARE at least a quarter or two from even starting non "built to a single spec" models like the Edition 1s. It's unfathomable that they'd be working with a "just-in-time" order system where it's less than a week or two between a "how do you want your Hummer" email after 2+ years of no correspondence and your truck going down the line. You've got to account for indecisive customers, people on the fence about whether to actually go through with it, etc. Meanwhile the factory is (in theory) at max capacity with no direction on how to build the vehicles. If they don't plan on being able to make anything but Edition 1 models, that makes sense, but not if they want to move to the broader trim levels. If they are "building" Edition 1 trucks and SUVs at the rate they're claiming, they'll be flying blind, with no finalized customer orders within a couple weeks.
There's few enough combinations they could probably just keep building the fully loaded 3X trim in various colors and have no risk of not selling them. Most of the options are LPO, so the dealer does the install for them and the product is shipped separately from the truck.

· Registered
370 Posts
I guess one path would just be the Model T approach. You can have any option as long as it's all of them. The big differentiator I see is the extreme off-road package. A good number of buyers will be more in the appearance/lifestyle category rather than weekend rock crawlers.

· Registered
57 Posts
I think a lot of people are missing this isn't about just producing the Hummer EV. GM is also ramping up production at their Warren Ultium cell plant. That ramp-up they have acknowledged is running behind schedule due to hiring and training staff. Until that plant gets up and reaches full capacity the Hummers will trickle out at a slower rate. Cells GM uses in the Hummer EV can build 2 Lyriqs or 3 Equinox EV. GM will have to balance this as more vehicle's role out and the 2nd Ultium plant opens in Spring Hill, TN 3Q 2023. Do you sell more Hummers or do go for EV sales volume with the cheaper (less cells required) EVs in your portfolio?

· Registered
40 Posts
The hype train is quickly waning for me wanting my Ed 1 SUV. When reserving i would have realistically expected summer 2023 now i'm thinking not until sometime in 2024. Again, all guesses at this point due to GM's lack of communication. Also, the lack of news on the SUV is disturbing as well. No updates about testing, mileage numbers, anything. Absolute crickets.

· Registered
370 Posts
The only comfort there is that we really didn't see any reviews where people actually drove the truck until right around the time the first customer car was delivered last year, so the SUV will probably be the same. And like you said, it's the lack of communication. Everything they had been saying up to early summer of this year implied early 3X reservation holders would be in Hummers by the end of the year. Then silence. If they had come out in late Summer, early Fall where it was probably VERY apparent internally that wasn't happening and announced a delay, I wouldn't be half as upset. But they made me and a lot of other feel like idiots for believing them. We got stood up without a "hey, I'll be late" phone call. I even told people that asked back in the spring "hopefully by Thanksgiving" when they asked when I was getting my Hummer EV. Now I just say, "I have no idea, hopefully within a year or two".

21 - 40 of 70 Posts