GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great article, thanks for sharing. We need more like this for the Hummer Ev (y)
I thought some of the off roading takes were interesting... Saying a 2 motor system might be better than the 4 motor? I think his experience off roading goes beyond my understanding.


Ya, its time for GM to start sharing the Hummer, The NACTOY jurors had a HummerEV and 2 Rivian's last week, and I hear lots of positive. They all like the Rivian, but they all said the Hummer is also incredible, and in many ways better. I heard jurors say the Hummer feels faster, and the tech in the Hummer is much more advanced, and more fully baked. I don't expect Hummer to win truck of the year, not because its not the best, but because it is so pricey, and impractical. Maverick will likely win truck of the year, in both MT and NACTOY, because of what it means to the mass market, and the fact that 1 year of production has already sold out which is hundreds of thousands. Truck of the year takes into account value and efficiency, which the Hummer EV is not going to win any awards on, unfortunately. Although TRX won last year, so Hmmm... I guess Hummer has some chance still. If I was an odds maker I would say Maverick has a 36% chance to win, Rivian R1T 33% and Hummer Ev 31% chance to win. Thats the way I would rank them on the voting criteria. I expect there will be many jurors this year give explanations to their vote, because all 3 are so deserving, and the votes will be close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I thought some of the off roading takes were interesting... Saying a 2 motor system might be better than the 4 motor? I think his experience off roading goes beyond my understanding.
Maybe you could help me understand because I don't get why this is a problem that can't be solved by software. Isn't a "locking diff" just injecting the same amount of current in all concerned motors? The Hummer Ev has such features directly controllable from the cabin. I would say this is software, but the fact that the engineer to whom he spoke made no comment about this makes me wonder...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe you could help me understand because I don't get why this is a problem that can't be solved by software. Isn't a "locking diff" just injecting the same amount of current in all concerned motors? The Hummer Ev has such features directly controllable from the cabin. I would say this is software, but the fact that the engineer to whom he spoke made no comment about this makes me wonder...
He was saying there is just no better system than locked front and rear and a locked transfer case. I would guess system and sensor latency is the issue, but he also mentioned throttle feel without the engine noise to tell him how much torque is being applied to the wheels, is missing, which makes total sense to me, when in limited traction ares you need to know how much power you are applying so you can pre judge upcoming wheel slip. This to me is always going to be a problem in an EV when off roading, unless you make some fake noise, but then you are back to the latency issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I guess my problem is in understanding why it is not possible to send the same speed to all four tires. But it could be for multiple reasons. One of them is that maybe, sending the same voltage input on the 4 motors doesn't necessarily mean the same speed depending on the surface (e.g 3 tires have the same traction but 4th is on a slippery rock)
This would be solved if they had sensors on each wheel to know how fast it's spinning. I guess they don't? I wish I could talk to one of their engineers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess my problem is in understanding why it is not possible to send the same speed to all four tires. But it could be for multiple reasons. One of them is that maybe, sending the same voltage input on the 4 motors doesn't necessarily mean the same speed depending on the surface (e.g 3 tires have the same traction but 4th is on a slippery rock)
This would be solved if they had sensors on each wheel to know how fast it's spinning. I guess they don't? I wish I could talk to one of their engineers.
Ya, I agree with you, and am not an experienced enough off roader to understand other than the lack of sound from the engine as the torque converter builds pressure, or the feel on a clutch pedal as you are working through a tough situation.

Thinking about it though, there is latency in the sensor, then wiring, then computer, then back through wiring to the inverter, then the electronics in the inverter, and connection to the motor. Not sure how much latency there is, but can see where there is a disconnect in the feeling. One example I can tell you, in Americas most advanced fighter jet, you can firewall the throttle, and back to idle before then engine does anything.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top