GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my Hummer EV for 1 week now. Its about the coolest car I have ever owned or driven.

I want to figure out if the noise coming from the car is normal. I asked the dealer and they have nothing to compare it to. I was curious if anyone on this forum could help me out?

I start the car and as long as the car is in park it is dead silent. No noise. Once I put the car into drive I start to hear an electric whirring/low humming sound that goes in and out, in and out and than gets slightly louder as I drive away and continues the entire time driving. If the window is up you cant really hear it. If the window is down you hear it very clearly and appears to be coming from the driverside front tire area. Once I put the car back into park, the entire noise goes away.

Is this normal? Can someone test this out on their HEV and let me know? If this noise is normal, can I just press a button to turn it off? It seems like this truck has a button for everything.

Thank you for your help!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am not sure if it is normal, since I do not have one, so I will let those that do respond. But, I asked a similar question before about EV's and apparently they are required to make some sort of noise when moving as a safety thing for pedestrians or something... My neighbor has a Lexus hybrid and it makes a very audible whirring type noise when it is running on battery only and that is why I asked the question.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have owned my Hummer EV for 1 week now. Its about the coolest car I have ever owned or driven.

I want to figure out if the noise coming from the car is normal. I asked the dealer and they have nothing to compare it to. I was curious if anyone on this forum could help me out?

I start the car and as long as the car is in park it is dead silent. No noise. Once I put the car into drive I start to hear an electric whirring/low humming sound that goes in and out, in and out and than gets slightly louder as I drive away and continues the entire time driving. If the window is up you cant really hear it. If the window is down you hear it very clearly and appears to be coming from the driverside front tire area. Once I put the car back into park, the entire noise goes away.

Is this normal? Can someone test this out on their HEV and let me know? If this noise is normal, can I just press a button to turn it off? It seems like this truck has a button for everything.

If you record the sound we can confirm, but all GM EVs make a sound that some engineers call the Angel voice. :) This is so you can hear the car approaching.

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,090 Posts
Yeah sounds like you are hearing the Pedestrian alert sound that engages once out of park and between 0 and 20 miles an hour to alert those around you that you are there at low speeds.

If you put the vehicle in reverse you should notice the sound changes to the rear coming from another speaker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This noise continues well after 18MPH. My friends Tesla that I drive does not have a noise like this that you constantly hear.

Could there be something wrong with mine? Its really a little too much for me while I am driving.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This noise continues well after 18MPH. My friends Tesla that I drive does not have a noise like this that you constantly hear.

Could there be something wrong with mine? Its really a little too much for me while I am driving.
The Hummer also pumps in artificial noise in the cabin for acceleration.

We can only guess what you are hearing because we have no video/audio recording to base it off of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can try to do a video in a bit once I have a 2nd person with me.

I know there is noise pumped into the cabin for acceleration. This sounds gets louder as you go faster as well. Could there be a setting where this is turned down or off. There are literally 100's of settings that I have played with on this truck. I was curious if anyone noticed this noise. The best way to recreate it, is to simply go into your hummer and go from Park to Drive and back to park. In my truck I hear it clear as day in my left ear. You would need to keep the windows up and the AC off.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You are awesome Nebula!!!! Yes that is the noise. You found it. If its supposed to shut off at 18MPH it does not. It keeps going. Is that normal?
After about 18 or so mph the sound should go and you will here more tire noise.
There will still be some motor noise, along with the artificial noise in the cabin.

Can you highlight in the video (seconds) where you hear the noise to verify we are all talking about the same thing?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That is the fake engine noise, not the pedestrian alert.
I don't think it is. I think it is the pedestrian alert.
Need someone with their Hummer to record the sounds properly in and out of the Truck for comparison.
There are no good videos of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fake engine noise is more like a electronic sounding V8. This pedestrian alert sounds like a humming sound that would be on a UFO. This is clearing a humming sound like on a UFO. Why doesnt TOMETRON chime in on this? Im curious what his opinion is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts