GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
from my understanding when a dealer's customer passes on the Hummer EV they ship them back to GM for redistribution. I am not sure if this is the case today as things change.
Yeah, the only time a dealer "gets" a car to sell to anyone is if the buyer agreed to purchase the reservation then backs out after it's been shipped to the dealer. If someone with a reservation declines the vehicle when GM makes contact to confirm the order, it moves to the next person in line.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah, the only time a dealer "gets" a car to sell to anyone is if the buyer agreed to purchase the reservation then backs out after it's been shipped to the dealer. If someone with a reservation declines the vehicle when GM makes contact to confirm the order, it moves to the next person in line.
so this requires honesty on the part of the customer. They could have no intention to buy the thing but have it sent to the dealer anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
so this requires honesty on the part of the customer. They could have no intention to buy the thing but have it sent to the dealer anyway.
You have to sign the acknowledgement that the warranty will be void if sold within a year before they’ll even send the truck to the dealer as part of the order confirmation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You have to sign the acknowledgement that the warranty will be void if sold within a year before they’ll even send the truck to the dealer as part of the order confirmation.
Part of the theme here is circumstances change and the one-size-fits-all approach GM is taking here doesn't always work. The customer can be entirely honest when verifying and x months later not be in a position to buy. It's in the dealers' interest to get everyone to verify, then tack on an ADM post-verification (especially for folks who don't know you can't change dealers post-verification).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Then I say that this will not deter those trying to flip the vehicle unless it changes the people paying 200-300k for these vehicles and they do not get a warranty.

·
Registered
212 Posts
As an example, here's an anecdote on the Lightning forum right now. The warranty move does nothing to prevent this...
Dealership refused to sell me the truck I ordered
In January 2022 I placed an order on Ford.com for a F-150 Lightning with Sunrise Ford in North Hollywood, CA as my local dealer. The website clearly showed my dealer’s selling price at MSRP with no after dealer markup. When I arrived at Sunrise on 7/30/22 to get my truck the Price Summary they gave me showed an additional $2780 for accessories that I didn’t order (LoJack, VIN etching or something). They refused to remove these items or the extra charge. I asked if I could think about the new price for 24 hours and they said no. I asked if I could think about it for 12 hours and they said if I left that day without purchasing it they would sell it to someone else with a hefty markup.
After more negotiating they said they would throw in certain add-ons for free (tinting, curb rash repair) as long as I agreed to leave a 5 star review after the sale. I didn’t agree to these terms but decided to proceed with the purchase with the extra $2780.
I went to the financing manager where he then tried to placate me by saying he thought it was wrong for the dealer to tack on those features. I told him to not pretend that he was on my side because they could remove those charges and items if they wanted to. He then became very aggressive and got in my face saying that if I’m so upset I shouldn’t buy the truck. With consent from the Sales Manager, he refused to do the paperwork and I was told they would not be selling me the truck.
Before leaving I told everyone there I was writing down their names and it would be in my review and letter to Ford corporate. The sales manager then said “you have my information but I have yours too. If I see my name in a review, something can happen”. When I asked if that was a threat, he said “take it anyway you want”.
I’ve been a loyal Ford customer. My father bought his last truck from Sunrise and was planning on purchasing his next truck from them as well. I hope the $2800 hidden markup was worth losing two customers and tarnishing Ford’s reputation. Their behavior was utterly shameful.
Direct to consumer can’t come soon enough.
TLDR: The dealership was looking for any reason not to sell me the truck close to its MSRP so they could sell it to someone else at a premium. They’re trash.
Edit: here’s the price summary of my order from Ford.com showing the dealer selling price https://imgur.io/dela9kM
Edit 2: Thanks for the support, truly. Here's another redditor's post of Sunrise trying to sell my order for over $108,000. They have no shame. I'll keep you updated on major developments.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, anything to slow down the flipping could be good. Was just checking out Cars.com.... there are about 90 Hummer Edition 1s listed, all 200K+ to 300K tops.

Sheesh, if GMC has made/delivered even 500 Edition 1s at this point, that would still be about 18-20% of all Hummers made are mostly at dealers being resold at super high prices - bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Only the most flagrant dealer will still be trying to get ADM when they end up spitting out thousands of Hummers a week, it just won't be possible. Anyone paying ADM from a dealer RIGHT NOW is a fool because there are numerous dealers broadcasting that they're selling for MSRP with incentives like accessories credit and you can change your reservation up to and right after you get a build email, before confirming your order. Worst case you should get MSRP in writing from your existing dealer before or at the time of confirmation. If you get a build confirmation email and don't have an agreement with your dealer on price, switch it on the spot. I don't get the logic that if you cut the secondary market off at the knees that dealers will suddenly start raking in the ADMs people are already balking at paying. The only way ADMs have been justifiable up to this point is secondary market sale prices. If they go away, then a potential buyer can't go "well, at least $50-100k over sticker isn't the $150-200k over sticker sales I see on BaT and Cars&Bids". If there's no secondary market giving dealers an inflated idea of what they can get away with, they can't justify ADMs. If you can't flip a Hummer with a warranty, 99% of the flips disappear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Ed1 that sold are Cars&Bids today "only" went for $200k, $85k over sticker. The pilot line in the factory was only making 10-15 a day, which is why the lack of supply has driven demand to crazy prices. With GM planning to hit more than 10x that by the end of the year (they're hoping for 20x) the supply side constraints will disappear. GM isn't limiting production, they're going to make as many as they can, as fast as they can, to the point where you'll probably see them sitting on lots a year or so from now at sticker. I think this new policy will be fairly effective at displacing most of the speculators and replacing them with actual owners.

And, as supply increases, the prices on the secondary market will come down to compete and speculators will then also have to decide whether to gamble on being able to sell a warranty less 2023 with all of the 2022s with warranties coming down and whether the gamble is even worth the rapidly decreasing margins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think dealers will be the ones that off course on these deals make out golden. People who won’t sign the 12 month no sale agreement will leave unit for dealers. I also think that people who decide the Hummer (or ZO6) is not for them or have financial hardship will end up selling vehicles back to dealers who will likely be able to make them certified preowned units and restore the full warranty. I think they put a lot of thought in to this and it is going to be very favorable for dealers. Surprised it does not include the Cadillac Lyriq and would bet the Silverado EV may see this also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think dealers will be the ones that off course on these deals make out golden. People who won’t sign the 12 month no sale agreement will leave unit for dealers. I also think that people who decide the Hummer (or ZO6) is not for them or have financial hardship will end up selling vehicles back to dealers who will likely be able to make them certified preowned units and restore the full warranty. I think they put a lot of thought in to this and it is going to be very favorable for dealers. Surprised it does not include the Cadillac Lyriq and would bet the Silverado EV may see this also.
GM won’t ship your dealer your Hummer until you sign the warranty acknowledgment. There might be some exceptions for buy backs, etc. but GM isn’t elaborating yet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
GM won’t ship your dealer your Hummer until you sign the warranty acknowledgment. There might be some exceptions for buy backs, etc. but GM isn’t elaborating yet.
This would be new. Everything have seen so far is it’s part of the final purchase paperwork at pickup. Not before shipping. Heck, half the time dealers/customers don’t even know it has been shipped.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
This would be new. Everything have seen so far is it’s part of the final purchase paperwork at pickup. Not before shipping. Heck, half the time dealers/customers don’t even know it has been shipped.
This is new for 2023... 2022 customers no warranty acknowledgment. GM has a problem right now with highly desirable vehicles, Hummer, Z06, Escalade V, all have way more demand then supply, and GM told dealers they are cracking down on markups, and dealers said, well if we cannot mark up, flippers do it, so GM is crushing the flippers too. The way I understand, GM is playing hardball on markups starting with 2023, no more mr nice guy...

Honestly the Z06 will be by far the biggest challenge on this, I bet some dealers lose their franchise by the time the Z06 is done.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This kinda makes it seem like the 2022 models will go up in price. Seeing how if you buy a MY23 you will lose warranty. Makes the MY22 hummers the only ones that you could buy 2nd hand for at least a year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This kinda makes it seem like the 2022 models will go up in price. Seeing how if you buy a MY23 you will lose warranty. Makes the MY22 hummers the only ones that you could buy 2nd hand for at least a year.
In theory, the pool of people willing to pay over sticker for a warrantyless Hummer is pretty small. GMs goal is to drive people to buy legitimately at dealerships for sticker. How fast supply ramps up will determine how successful they are. If, in a year, most orders have been satisfied then there will be no $25-50k over sticker secondary market. There are circumstances where 2022-23s owned for a year will sell for around sticker, mainly if reservations mid-2023 are still months out and the only way to get a Hummer on demand with a warranty is a year old 2023 or 2022. It will all a balance out in the end, you’ll be able to order a Hummer online and have one in weeks or buy one from dealer inventory in a little over a year if they hit their production goals.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts