GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
What would be even funnier is if GM placed a lien or sued the people who sold their vehicles for inflated prices claiming anything over retail value for it.

I am not sure who will be touching these things with voided warranties for people spending 200-300k for a GMC Hummer

·
Registered
104 Posts
At least you got a souvenir now.

I have been in the car community for 40 plus years and I have never seen people who order vehicles for themselves flip them within a month or two of ownership. I guess it just shows you how times change or if people feel they can stick it to dealers. I would rather have the Hummer than a plaque or some other EV which is not as nice as the Hummer is to begin with.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
758 Posts
I have been in the car community for 40 plus years and I have never seen people who order vehicles for themselves flip them within a month or two of ownership. I guess it just shows you how times change or if people feel they can stick it to dealers. I would rather have the Hummer than a plaque or some other EV which is not as nice as the Hummer is to begin with.
I wouldn't have resold the Hummer after putting over 4000 miles on it if I didn't like the Rivian better for what I want an every-day vehicle for. I know not everyone will share my opinion and that's great, because the Hummer really is a great vehicle. I just wanted the space back in my driveway more than anything else. And someone else gets to enjoy it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wouldn't have resold the Hummer after putting over 4000 miles on it if I didn't like the Rivian better for what I want an every-day vehicle for. I know not everyone will share my opinion and that's great, because the Hummer really is a great vehicle. I just wanted the space back in my driveway more than anything else. And someone else gets to enjoy it.

That makes sense and is a given, but please don't make an excuse like that .I bet if they were selling like the Rivian only 10-30k over MSRP then you would not have sold it. That 130k profit is too much to walk away from, and now I bet with these moves by GM something like 30-40 percent of the reservations are now GONE and will not take delivery.

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,090 Posts
That makes sense and is a given, but please don't make an excuse like that .I bet if they were selling like the Rivian only 10-30k over MSRP then you would not have sold it. That 130k profit is too much to walk away from, and now I bet with these moves by GM something like 30-40 percent of the reservations are now GONE and will not take delivery.
Na Dark had limited room and had both truck in their Driveway. The Rivian just fit their life style more for the time being.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Na Dark had limited room and had both truck in their Driveway. The Rivian just fit their life style more for the time being.
but yet he has room for the Hummer SUV, the Silverado RST, and the Blazer SS.....

okay, sure but once GM figures out he no longer owns the ride or has sold it via the registration (if he even registered it) then I am sure all those other orders will be filled.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,090 Posts
but yet he has room for the Hummer SUV, the Silverado RST, and the Blazer SS.....

okay, sure but once GM figures out he no longer owns the ride or has sold it via the registration (if he even registered it) then I am sure all those other orders will be filled.

Notice this change was for 2023 model year+ vehicles and you had to sign the document before finalizing the order with the dealership. This change isn't impacting early 2022 owners.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I could be wrong but 30%-40% feels high. Maybe I'm giving folks too much credit but the Edition 1 reservations were made 2 years ago and I don't think most people made the reservation knowing they could flip them for a $150K+ profit., in which case the same people who made the reservations 2 years ago would likely keep their reservation regardless. Reservations for the ED1 SUV and other SUT/SUV trims, especially reservations made after Edition 1 resales started, are unlikely to fetch nearly the same return and I would assume (maybe wrongfully) people would understand that when they made the reservation. That said, I'd welcome a shorter list and an earlier delivery of my Hummer SUV (which I will keep no matter what).

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
758 Posts

I've also got reservations on a max pack R1T, small pack dual motor R1S, the Canoo pickup, the Fisker Ocean One, Aptera, and the Alpha Motor's Super Saga. Most likely going to put down on the ID Buzz when VW finally opens that up as well. I don't have an order for the Lyriq because I don't care for it.

Most likely the Polestar 2 is going to get sold for one of those other vehicles, and we'll probably trade the Volt out at some point as well, but I don't have a need or want for more than 4-5 vehicles in my driveway. Especially when they are in the same class of vehicle.

If GM had stipulated that I had to own the SUT for a year before reselling it, that wouldn't have stopped me from purchasing it in the first place. It would likely just be sitting in my driveway/garage right now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Notice this change was for 2023 model year+ vehicles and you had to sign the document before finalizing the order with the dealership. This change isn't impacting early 2022 owners.
This is true and there is no way they can strip warranties without a signed customer agreement (that would almost certainly violate all kinds of commercial laws) but I don't think anything would prevent GM from cancelling preorders, which is likely entirely at GM's discretion. However, if I'm GM I don't know that I'd want to run off customers who have historically purchased high value vehicles after only one resale.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've also got reservations on a max pack R1T, small pack dual motor R1S, the Canoo pickup, the Fisker Ocean One, Aptera, and the Alpha Motor's Super Saga. Most likely going to put down on the ID Buzz when VW finally opens that up as well. I don't have an order for the Lyriq because I don't care for it.

Most likely the Polestar 2 is going to get sold for one of those other vehicles, and we'll probably trade the Volt out at some point as well, but I don't have a need or want for more than 4-5 vehicles in my driveway. Especially when they are in the same class of vehicle.

If GM had stipulated that I had to own the SUT for a year before reselling it, that wouldn't have stopped me from purchasing it in the first place. It would likely just be sitting in my driveway/garage right now.
that is a very impressive list, SAGA appears to have stolen every design cue from Datsun/ Nissan from the 60s through the 80s. The ID Buzz is NICE and I have seen several in person but it looks like a VW. I am not sure if Alpha motors will ever get them through, looks like they have some serious patent infringement going on. I dig the designs though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know what the conversion rate on Hummer's will be with this new policy but I doubt the current 90% conversion rate will continue on a $100k+ vehicle that you can't flip without selling as-is, no warranty immediately on a brand new EV.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't know what the conversion rate on Hummer's will be with this new policy but I doubt the current 90% conversion rate will continue on a $100k+ vehicle that you can't flip without selling as-is, no warranty immediately on a brand new EV.
That wasn't designed to do that, it was designed to reduce the 150-200k mark up currently going on.

Of course, I am not sure it will do that. Too much money chasing too few goods so I am not sure someone that really wants it would care if it came with or without a warranty. Looks like GM could be opening a big can of worms. I think they should have used a guarantee buy back but anything they did will probably will have loop holes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That wasn't designed to do that, it was designed to reduce the 150-200k mark up currently going on.

Of course, I am not sure it will do that. Too much money chasing too few goods so I am not sure someone that really wants it would care if it came with or without a warranty. Looks like GM could be opening a big can of worms. I think they should have used a guarantee buy back but anything they did will probably will have loop holes.
Yeah, but it will have the side effect of discouraging speculation and reducing conversion. It may not be the sole purpose of the policy, but they have to know it will also improve satisfaction because more people will get their Hummer's from authorized dealers for more reasonable sums of money. To them, who cares if you piss off someone only buying it to sell is ASAP for a quick buck? In fact, given that demand will outstrip supply for the near future either way, I'd say it's in their long term interests to completely cut those people out of the process. There are people on the reservation list that have had changes in their financial and personal situations since October 2020 and probably quite a few that would have gone through the process of buying a vehicle they can't personally afford with the specific goal of flipping it for a profit if not for this policy. Bottom line, it's great news for those of us sitting around waiting for our number to come up, knowing that every speculator that now passes on a reservation means we're one build closer to our email from GMC.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah, but it will have the side effect of discouraging speculation and reducing conversion. It may not be the sole purpose of the policy, but they have to know it will also improve satisfaction because more people will get their Hummer's from authorized dealers for more reasonable sums of money. To them, who cares if you piss off someone only buying it to sell is ASAP for a quick buck? In fact, given that demand will outstrip supply for the near future either way, I'd say it's in their long term interests to completely cut those people out of the process. There are people on the reservation list that have had changes in their financial and personal situations since October 2020 and probably quite a few that would have gone through the process of buying a vehicle they can't personally afford with the specific goal of flipping it for a profit if not for this policy. Bottom line, it's great news for those of us sitting around waiting for our number to come up, knowing that every speculator that now passes on a reservation means we're one build closer to our email from GMC.
True and that I believe is/ was their motivation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
But you're not one build closer when a speculator passes - their vehicle was already built; the dealer gets to sell to someone else and I have not to date heard that someone else needs to be a reservation holder. A bigger reservation deposit might stop the speculators from verifying their order (e.g., Ford Lightning reservations were $100 but require an additional $500 deposit to convert to an order, not that $500 is significant enough most likely for Hummers, Z06s and Escalade Vs, of course).

I still don't see why this would slow down dealer ADMs...if anything, I think it incentivizes them to tack on $50k and if the person who reserved the vehicle balks sell to the next interested party.

If this were really intended to be pro-consumer/anti-flipper instead of dealer protectionist, they'd drop it to a six month no sale clause and permit you to sell back to any GM dealer for a maximum of MSRP plus taxes and fees already paid. Also, to the poster who said Hyundai cuts warranties, sure, but they're cutting from an unmatched 10-year warranty to a still unmatched 6-year warranty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
But you're not one build closer when a speculator passes - their vehicle was already built; the dealer gets to sell to someone else and I have not to date heard that someone else needs to be a reservation holder. A bigger reservation deposit might stop the speculators from verifying their order (e.g., Ford Lightning reservations were $100 but require an additional $500 deposit to convert to an order, not that $500 is significant enough most likely for Hummers, Z06s and Escalade Vs, of course).

I still don't see why this would slow down dealer ADMs...if anything, I think it incentivizes them to tack on $50k and if the person who reserved the vehicle balks sell to the next interested party.

If this were really intended to be pro-consumer/anti-flipper instead of dealer protectionist, they'd drop it to a six month no sale clause and permit you to sell back to any GM dealer for a maximum of MSRP plus taxes and fees already paid. Also, to the poster who said Hyundai cuts warranties, sure, but they're cutting from an unmatched 10-year warranty to a still unmatched 6-year warranty.
from my understanding when a dealer's customer passes on the Hummer EV they ship them back to GM for redistribution. I am not sure if this is the case today as things change.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts