GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any updates or info you can share on the arrival timeline of our HEV's?
quite all the reasons are within your grasp on this fact of comparison. only what we need to know is that Hummer EV for Michigan will be again and again a real test for custom truck enthusiasts as far as I know and also for you too Mr Engineer.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
quite all the reasons are within your grasp on this fact of comparison. only what we need to know is that Hummer EV for Michigan will be again and again a real test for custom truck enthusiasts as far as I know and also for you too Mr Engineer.
True.
With 10,000 pre-orders so far I bet we'll get some strong aftermarket support.
GM accessories along those lines would be great too @Aloppen ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Al, will there be a way to track our Hummer EV as it makes its way through the build process?
As we get closer to notifying the Edition 1 customers of some key dates in the near future, we will communicate more information on details like this. Stay tuned. We are out testing now, putting the HummerEV through its paces so we are ready for you.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
As we get closer to notifying the Edition 1 customers of some key dates in the near future, we will communicate more information on details like this. Stay tuned. We are out testing now, putting the HummerEV through its paces so we are ready for you.
Thanks for the info @Aloppen. Are you able to share what kind of testing you folks are putting the Hummer through?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a general question @Aloppen, that maybe you could answer. Is GM going to support Plug and Charge? Porsche and Ford support it, and with your goal to go all EV, it would seem to be a must for GM.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a general question @Aloppen, that maybe you could answer. Is GM going to support Plug and Charge? Porsche and Ford support it, and with your goal to go all EV, it would seem to be a must for GM.
Great Question... @Aloppen this is something the general should definitely incorporate into any new EV... Not to rub you, but Ford Mach E has it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haha! When I read this comment, the first thing that went through my mind was backing out of the driveway on a typical road trip, and the kids asking "are we there yet". Maybe @Aloppen will give us a little trinket to chew on for Christmas?
This is exactly how I feel and couldn’t describe it when I joined. Yes, are we there yet? I can’t wait. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am most interested in range estimates. It is very frustrating when other car manufacturers (i.e. Rivian) take so long to provide real EPA testing results or real word range estimates. "Up to 400 miles" or "400+" is not very specific. Hopefully we will know earlier with the Hummer EV!

Getting my two cents in early...

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am most interested in range estimates. It is very frustrating when other car manufacturers (i.e. Rivian) take so long to provide real EPA testing results or real word range estimates. "Up to 400 miles" or "400+" is not very specific. Hopefully we will know earlier with the Hummer EV!

Getting my two cents in early...
Final EPA numbers for Rivian or Hummer EV are likely not known yet as they are still working on software, and hardware changes. We should hear Rivian's numbers soon, and GM may give an update on Hummer, but likely GM will not have the real EPA number until they are ready to ship. I think Hummer EV is going to offer right around 400 miles with the big battery. You also have to take into account not all companies are as aggressive in their EPA rating correction factors. Tesla always sells a big number, but the cars cannot achieve those numbers in any but perfect conditions and circumstances. Porsche on the other hand, can overachieve their EPA rated range going uphill in a blizzard.

·
Registered
52 Posts
S
Final EPA numbers for Rivian or Hummer EV are likely not known yet as they are still working on software, and hardware changes. We should hear Rivian's numbers soon, and GM may give an update on Hummer, but likely GM will not have the real EPA number until they are ready to ship. I think Hummer EV is going to offer right around 400 miles with the big battery. You also have to take into account not all companies are as aggressive in their EPA rating correction factors. Tesla always sells a big number, but the cars cannot achieve those numbers in any but perfect conditions and circumstances. Porsche on the other hand, can overachieve their EPA rated range going uphill in a blizzard.
Someone on the Rivian forums heard from support that the EPA tests cycles have been completed, they are just waiting to get them verified. They also have several different tire and wheel combinations to deal with.

·
Registered
369 Posts
S
Someone on the Rivian forums heard from support that the EPA tests cycles have been completed, they are just waiting to get them verified. They also have several different tire and wheel combinations to deal with.
Ya, I am sure Rivian is close to releasing the final numbers, but until the first R1T get into the public hands we will not really know what the numbers mean, will Rivian fudge like Tesla? Or understate like Porsche, or just tell the truth like GM, Ford, Audi, and Hyundai do? This is really important to know before the EPA rating means anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ya, I am sure Rivian is close to releasing the final numbers, but until the first R1T get into the public hands we will not really know what the numbers mean, will Rivian fudge like Tesla? Or understate like Porsche, or just tell the truth like GM, Ford, Audi, and Hyundai do? This is really important to know before the EPA rating means anything.
Your points are all reasonable, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating. Even though I agree with what you posted, I still feel the manufacturers can do a better job of releasing real estimates regarding range on a new vehicle like the Hummer. I am sure someone has run the numbers at GM. GM has produced a lot of vehicles, and a lot of batteries, so they probably know within +/- 5% what the real range will be in the city and on the highway. I am sure Rivian knew well before they did EPA testing - and the public still doesn't know. 400+ what?

That said, except for Tesla, car manufacturers are sensitive to reporting incorrect information because it hurts their reputations. So I get why they would be reluctant to share their estimates. But I still wish they would.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your points are all reasonable, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating. Even though I agree with what you posted, I still feel the manufacturers can do a better job of releasing real estimates regarding range on a new vehicle like the Hummer. I am sure someone has run the numbers at GM. GM has produced a lot of vehicles, and a lot of batteries, so they probably know within +/- 5% what the real range will be in the city and on the highway. I am sure Rivian knew well before they did EPA testing - and the public still doesn't know. 400+ what?

That said, except for Tesla, car manufacturers are sensitive to reporting incorrect information because it hurts their reputations. So I get why they would be reluctant to share their estimates. But I still wish they would.
In the end, the EPA number is only for comparison, not a realistic number. The only number that means anything to me is what range do I get when driving highways at 70-75mph, and how fast can I replenish those miles on a charge. There is no EPA cycle for that.

Tesla also seems to have an issue where they rely on the EPA estimate to predict miles remaining in the car. All others use smarter real time calculations. Since I have a Bolt, I already know how well the Hummer will do those estimates.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Yes, GM knows what the Hummer EV EPA range will be within 5% already for sure (IMO think 400+ or -), I think the Hummer EV will consume around 500 wh/mi, but we do not know the battery size yet, GM only stated >200kWh, however I am sure they are still working on software calibrations as they go through test and evaluation. The final "official" testing will be done on a release candidate production model which will not be built until summer. GM would not gain anything making the number public today though, first year orders are full, and 350+ was good enough for the people ordering. GM has a history of understating range during test and saving a treat to build excitement when it is actually time to ship. I mean if it came time to ship Hummer EV and GM said the range is 345, people will be disappointed, so better to shoot low initially, then beat the number when the release comes. Tesla did the opposite with Cybertruck, they offered a 3 motor, 500 mile truck that can tow 14k lbs, for $69K I think you will be waiting a long time for that one, as Tesla will go BK selling it. It will be interesting to see how the story develops on the $69K cybertruck. I think Tesla will forget that model for a while and do some limited edition for $100K or more, maybe throw in 4 wheel steer. The later Cybertrucks $49K and $39K have even worse economics... puzzling how this will be achieved.

On the range fudging, it seems Tesla is not the only one that exaggerates, most of the automotive startups have varying levels of exaggeration, although with the Rivian, if their battery is indeed 135 kWh, 300 miles should be in the cards.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts