GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
They are just saying it, we’ve all been thinking it. I’m a radiologist I do everything in dark mode.

Back to the main point Tom is correct the UI is laggy with too many settings in hard to navigate sub menus. Now I have not seen Teslas Ui first hand and I hear the EQS is amazing but other than that I think all UIs are terrible. These companies need to invest some money in software guys that know this stuff and can make a clean user friendly UI.
My latest thoughts on Tesla UI is that its still snappy which is great, looks nice, organized well, etc. A lot of it is WORTHLESS though in some areas; mainly the visualizations on cars with 1 screen, even 2 screens isn't needed. They sacrificed showing maps/blindspots/widgets of use for the stupid car with other cars/cons/trashcans/lights around it which you should see by actually looking out your windows while driving, not the screen.

My one other gripe is that the text/buttons have gotten smaller and sma
ller as they add more. To the point you miss pressing the next/forward button on music now if driving, hit a bump and good luck with your aim, etc.

Hummer seems big enough with its selections on the screen that it won't b
e the same issue and doesn't show worthless visualizations on its screen - even Ford F150 does this somewhat, Rivian copied it, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My latest thoughts on Tesla UI is that its still snappy which is great, looks nice, organized well, etc. A lot of it is WORTHLESS though in some areas; mainly the visualizations on cars with 1 screen, even 2 screens isn't needed. They sacrificed showing maps/blindspots/widgets of use for the stupid car with other cars/cons/trashcans/lights around it which you should see by actually looking out your windows while driving, not the screen.

ller as they add more. To the point you miss pressing the next/forward button on music now if driving, hit a bump and good luck with your aim, etc.

e the same issue and doesn't show worthless visualizations on its screen - even Ford F150 does this somewhat, Rivian copied it, etc.
Love the rainbow of text!

One of my biggest pros with the hummer infotainment system is the amount of physical buttons. I have a 2018 RS3 that has no touch screen and only a dial/physical buttons... I LOVE it. I almost got a Jeep Trackhawk, but in my test drive steered away from it because even the ventilated seats were hidden BEHIND a few menus of the touch screen. I about damn near rear ended someone trying to cool my buns!

I like that the hummer has a touch screen, but more so that it has the dynamic buttons. I feel the physical buttons aren't getting as much credit as they could be, because they will (assumingly) be much easier to use while driving than a touch screen of any kind. I hope I'm right when I finally get mine sometime in the next decade...!

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
758 Posts
Love the rainbow of text!

One of my biggest pros with the hummer infotainment system is the amount of physical buttons. I have a 2018 RS3 that has no touch screen and only a dial/physical buttons... I LOVE it. I almost got a Jeep Trackhawk, but in my test drive steered away from it because even the ventilated seats were hidden BEHIND a few menus of the touch screen. I about damn near rear ended someone trying to cool my buns!

I like that the hummer has a touch screen, but more so that it has the dynamic buttons. I feel the physical buttons aren't getting as much credit as they could be, because they will (assumingly) be much easier to use while driving than a touch screen of any kind. I hope I'm right when I finally get mine sometime in the next decade...!
I would have liked the physical buttons to be configurable. Most of them are things I'd either never or rarely would have hit. Probably got the most use out of the button that "sneakily" enables WTF mode more than any other ones. I think I literally never touched the ones for the lockers or parking assists.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

Without a doubt Tesla is the gold standard on infotainment, Lucid and Rivian trying to do something similar, but way behind. I think NIO, and Xpeng are also chasing Tesla for infotainment quality. I have high hopes for GM's new infotainment coming in the 2024 model year vehicles, and hope GM first understands how far behind they are, and that their strategy of buying off the shelf supplier apps is not going to work going forward. To do infotainment software right is a multi Billion dollar investment, requiring the the right strategy (all new) and the right people. When Tesla started in 2012, their system was a joke, but they have made it better and better every year, and they also don't go cheap on the processor driving it. Tesla is not perfect though, and the latest update I feel was a step backwards, but Tesla has quickly updated and rolled back some of the changes. The first car realized with GM's new system will be the Blazer SS, and I have very high hopes. Gm has hired a lot of software engineers the last 3 years, now just hoping they hired the right ones, and have the right strategy. GM said the new system will be Linux based at the investor day, which is a step in the right direction, and hey will be able to update nearly all modules OTA, also good news.

I agree with @Dark-Fx too, being able to configure some physical buttons would be nice.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Without a doubt Tesla is the gold standard on infotainment, Lucid and Rivian trying to do something similar, but way behind. I think NIO, and Xpeng are also chasing Tesla for infotainment quality. I have high hopes for GM's new infotainment coming in the 2024 model year vehicles, and hope GM first understands how far behind they are, and that their strategy of buying off the shelf supplier apps is not going to work going forward. To do infotainment software right is a multi Billion dollar investment, requiring the the right strategy (all new) and the right people. When Tesla started in 2012, their system was a joke, but they have made it better and better every year, and they also don't go cheap on the processor driving it. Tesla is not perfect though, and the latest update I feel was a step backwards, but Tesla has quickly updated and rolled back some of the changes. The first car realized with GM's new system will be the Blazer SS, and I have very high hopes. Gm has hired a lot of software engineers the last 3 years, now just hoping they hired the right ones, and have the right strategy. GM said the new system will be Linux based at the investor day, which is a step in the right direction, and hey will be able to update nearly all modules OTA, also good news.

I agree with @Dark-Fx too, being able to configure some physical buttons would be nice.

Hearing some of the reviews about the UI/infotainment system have me wanting my 3X to be late.... I would like to keep my price locked in, but I hope that when my time comes, I can get a 2024 and the Power Bar (or whatever it's called for some reason I can never remember) and the newer UI.... I am OK with waiting, but I would be disappointed if I got the old stuff and wasn't able to use the truck to power other things like the house, and a few months later everything is all new and I got the old stuff...
FYI on our trip last weekend I bought a Motortrend and they had a good review/ comparison of the Hummer and Rivian, but I also liked the review that they has of the F150 Lightning.... Especially how Ford already uses the truck to power other things like a stand alone generator... I do not know how often I would use it, but a major power outage it would be really nice

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hearing some of the reviews about the UI/infotainment system have me wanting my 3X to be late.... I would like to keep my price locked in, but I hope that when my time comes, I can get a 2024 and the Power Bar (or whatever it's called for some reason I can never remember) and the newer UI.... I am OK with waiting, but I would be disappointed if I got the old stuff and wasn't able to use the truck to power other things like the house, and a few months later everything is all new and I got the old stuff...
FYI on our trip last weekend I bought a Motortrend and they had a good review/ comparison of the Hummer and Rivian, but I also liked the review that they has of the F150 Lightning.... Especially how Ford already uses the truck to power other things like a stand alone generator... I do not know how often I would use it, but a major power outage it would be really nice
i dunno, we have to see how the new system is. The current one built on Google Auto isn’t horrid if optimized and cleaned up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Range-wise again, we do seem to have a couple people already on Facebook stating they are getting 400+ mile estimates at 100% after a few weeks of ownership, etc. with normal driving, and that it mostly holds up in various driving as well (freeway/city mix, etc.).

This would be awesome if this is pretty typical of the Edition 1, exceeding the 350+ range initially promised. :)
Depends on speed, but I’ve got over 8000 miles and there’s no way it’s getting anywhere near 400 range, or 350 for that matter. I took A 170 mile trip and made it with about 30 miles left on the range. That is going 85mph

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
i dunno, we have to see how the new system is. The current one built on Google Auto isn’t horrid if optimized and cleaned up.
The Hummer system is not bad, it's just slow, every function takes 1-3 seconds, it does not seem to be buggy though.

I think GM was more worried about how it looks, than how it works, personally I like the night view better than the day view.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wouldn’t want to wait longer for a better UI, because honestly like most people I just use Apple car play the whole time so the maps lagginess doesn’t really matter to me.

What I would wait for if the power station upgrade, a 200KW battery would power my house for 6 days in a power outage. Not to mention the R1S my wife will someday get. No need to have a generator installed, that’s a major major plus when it comes out.

Also just ran into what’s known as Wallbox Quasar 2, which apparently will be able to power your house regardless of vehicle. Will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Depends on speed, but I’ve got over 8000 miles and there’s no way it’s getting anywhere near 400 range, or 350 for that matter. I took A 170 mile trip and made it with about 30 miles left on the range. That is going 85mph
Ya, the range falls off quickly over 65 miles per hour (or slower), I am willing to bet the HummerEV is faster on a road trip driving 65, that it is at 85 mph. Part of driving an EV is adjusting the way you drive to optimize for the best trip time.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I wouldn’t want to wait longer for a better UI, because honestly like most people I just use Apple car play the whole time so the maps lagginess doesn’t really matter to me.

What I would wait for if the power station upgrade, a 200KW battery would power my house for 6 days in a power outage. Not to mention the R1S my wife will someday get. No need to have a generator installed, that’s a major major plus when it comes out.

Also just ran into what’s known as Wallbox Quasar 2, which apparently will be able to power your house regardless of vehicle. Will have to wait and see.
Do you think VTG technology is as valuable as VTV? for me I think the ability to charge another EV is going to be more common than home backup power. We have a natural gas generator on our cabin, it runs once a week to exercise, maybe once a year in actual use. We have never been there when we actually needed the generator, but I worry a long outage in the winter time and the pipes could freeze, it's gets below zero F there. I also set the fireplaces to come on at 50 degrees as a backup if the heat is out, they do not require power.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you think VTG technology is as valuable as VTV? for me I think the ability to charge another EV is going to be more common than home backup power. We have a natural gas generator on our cabin, it runs once a week to exercise, maybe once a year in actual use. We have never been there when we actually needed the generator, but I worry a long outage in the winter time and the pipes could freeze, it's gets below zero F there. I also set the fireplaces to come on at 50 degrees as a backup if the heat is out, they do not require power.
Well VTG, depending where you are can be very lucrative. Here in RI you can cover the cost of Tesla powerwalls and actually make money if you have them installed, BUT, you have to give control of them over to the utility. The issue with VTG is the psychological aspect of letting a utility have control over your battery and possibly/likely shorten its lifespan.

VTV has a positive psychological impact. I don’t have range anxiety but I do think about what happens if I do ever run out of power when off-roading or something. I would have to haul a large generator out there and wait for a day to get enough juice to get it moving again. If VTV was common I could count on another hummer or rivian coming and juicing me up.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Well VTG, depending where you are can be very lucrative. Here in RI you can cover the cost of Tesla powerwalls and actually make money if you have them installed, BUT, you have to give control of them over to the utility. The issue with VTG is the psychological aspect of letting a utility have control over your battery and possibly/likely shorten its lifespan.

VTV has a positive psychological impact. I don’t have range anxiety but I do think about what happens if I do ever run out of power when off-roading or something. I would have to haul a large generator out there and wait for a day to get enough juice to get it moving again. If VTV was common I could count on another hummer or rivian coming and juicing me up.
I think if I was taking a major off roading weekend, I would bring a 9500W generator with a full tank of gas (at least the first time), that should be able to add 50-75 miles of range in a pinch, and only weighs 250 lbs, and easier to go get more gas for it, than more electricity for the HummerEV.

On the power we do not have progressive rates in the PNW, we have a major local surplus of power most times, and are an exporter of power. Hence Facebook, Google and just about all other big internet companies build server farms here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would have liked the physical buttons to be configurable. Most of them are things I'd either never or rarely would have hit. Probably got the most use out of the button that "sneakily" enables WTF mode more than any other ones. I think I literally never touched the ones for the lockers or parking assists.
Totally fair. I agree. Maybe they can add more customization later? who knows. I like the heated/cooled seats customization. but totally agreed. In my current truck I hardly use half of the buttons and wish they were configurable.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts