GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Leave it off and put the truck in L for yet another setting. It will crawl at a stop then, unless you come to a complete stop while holding the Regen paddle.
I do not want creep, ever. I also do not want to use the regen paddle regularly, I am used to 1 pedal driving, but in the Hummer its strong, but not well calibrated, and with the loose suspension approaching a light I find it hard to modulate smoothly to a stop without diving the nose of the truck(never have this issue in our Tesla or Audi), and on the freeway the lack of smoothness is exaggerated, it seems I always get too much or not enough, and the trucks ends up diving the nose, and rocking back and forth. This could use more fine tuning, and calibration to be smoother. Strangely the throttle has a long throw, and is generally less sensitive than a Tesla in Accel, but more sensitive in regen in the On setting. Like I said Max is not needed at any time that I would imagine, you get well over 200 kW regen in On.

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,090 Posts
With GM throttle mapping changes depending on what mode you are driving in. In My Mode you can adjust it and many other options to your liking and it will be remembered through ignition cycles.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I strongly disagree, the screen is way too small, and in height does not leave room for lists, I will take and post some pictures for comparison
Yeah, I would prefer a bit taller screen for navigation; if you like to keep navigation pointed at your heading, then you see a lot less in front (above your centered arrow) on such a narrow screen, or if you keep in N/S orientation, you still see less... only optimal for route type view heading E/W hehe...

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
With GM throttle mapping changes depending on what mode you are driving in. In My Mode you can adjust it and many other options to your liking and it will be remembered through ignition cycles.

Again, you are proving my point, I should not need videos and manuals to operate a car, this highlights GM's bad infotainment design. Lets take a look at functions, now lets talk simple to use, and ability to access settings, from you main Tesla driving screen with 1 push of the little car in the lower left of the screen at any time, driving or parked and get this menu with all of your setups, note the use of screen real estate, if you want to leave this screen and go back to driving or navigation, push the same car button in the lower left, and you are back to driving/ navigation , simple and as expected.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Computer

Lets take a look at the control screen in the Hummer EV, how do I set steering feel? pedal calibration? safety systems? download a software update? Report a service issue? purchase a system upgrade? The Hummer has beautiful graphics, but I just want to control the functions, WTF??? How do I go back if I push the wrong menu?

Audio equipment Audio receiver Gadget Font Technology

Now lets talk apps, In the Tesla from any screen to get to an app you are in just push the button bottom center of the display, and it pops up your app menu, want to go back, just push the same button again, and the app popup disappears, just like an iPhone. The Tesla even gives instruction to reorganize the apps right on the screen.

Wheel Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle

Now lets look at launching apps in the HummerEV, oh, only a few show, so you have to scroll around to find the app you want, and if you launch the wrong one, no back button, so you start over. Again the Hummer screen has beautiful graphics, but HTF (how the f---) do I get to the app I want? How do I go back?

Audio equipment Display device Electronic device Technology Machine

In Summary, I think it's clear the 2" of extra screen size in the Tesla and way menus are organized bring tremendous value to the customer. The Tesla is easier to operate, has deeper function control only a click or 2 away, has a back button for all functions, and even a kid can use it. The Hummer infotainment gives me a fatigue feeling, has limited functionality, and while looking beautiful is slug slow in operation.

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,090 Posts
Again, you are proving my point, I should not need videos and manuals to operate a car, this highlights GM's bad infotainment design.
My Mode had been a part of GM vehicles for years and is a known quantity. It is very easy to see in the Mode switches. That is not bad design.

On my Volt we have a back button to go to the previous screen/app. I'm going to assume the volume button or the HOME button (in screen) now also has this functionality in the Hummer below the power button. See that little House on the bottom left of the Hummer screen, that's your HOME button click it and you go back to the home screen to get back to your apps.

You can also depress any app in the home screen and move it to any page you want. (just like android and iphone)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah, I would prefer a bit taller screen for navigation; if you like to keep navigation pointed at your heading, then you see a lot less in front (above your centered arrow) on such a narrow screen, or if you keep in N/S orientation, you still see less... only optimal for route type view heading E/W hehe...
Ya, lets be honest, GM is developing an all new infotainment system for the 2024 and forward vehicles, and these current systems are a mis-mash of older systems and supplier apps, none of which operate seamlessly or natively. Its not awful, but it is a compromise that we should call GM out on in 2022.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My Mode had been a part of GM vehicles for years and is a known quantity. It is very easy to see in the Mode switches. That is not bad design.

On my Volt we have a back button to go to the previous screen/app. I'm going to assume the volume button or the HOME button (in screen) now also has this functionality in the Hummer below the power button. See that little House on the bottom left of the Hummer screen, that's your HOME button click it and you go back to the home screen to get back to your apps.

You can also depress any app in the home screen and move it to any page you want. (just like android and iphone)
Ya, you can justify GM's decisions and their system, but I am just stating with experience the system is not competitive with the best in class, and that is a shame, GM has work to do on their new infotainment systems.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
758 Posts
I do not want creep, ever. I also do not want to use the regen paddle regularly, I am used to 1 pedal driving, but in the Hummer its strong, but not well calibrated, and with the loose suspension approaching a light I find it hard to modulate smoothly to a stop without diving the nose of the truck(never have this issue in our Tesla or Audi), and on the freeway the lack of smoothness is exaggerated, it seems I always get too much or not enough, and the trucks ends up diving the nose, and rocking back and forth. This could use more fine tuning, and calibration to be smoother. Strangely the throttle has a long throw, and is generally less sensitive than a Tesla in Accel, but more sensitive in regen in the On setting. Like I said Max is not needed at any time that I would imagine, you get well over 200 kW regen in On.
Regen in the Hummer takes some getting used to, it's not as smooth as other vehicles but once I got used to it, it was fine. The difficulty comes if you are driving EVs from different manufacturers all the time. It's hard to get the right muscle memory for it then. When we took it on our Florida trip, I had no issues with it being too much or too little regen after the first day or so. I always had it in the highest setting.

Max + Paddle would stop short of the line in a situation where I was driving 10+ over the speed limit and caught a late yellow. It's crazy how much regen the Hummer has when it's maxed out.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Lets take a look at the control screen in the Hummer EV, how do I set steering feel? pedal calibration? safety systems? download a software update? Report a service issue? purchase a system upgrade? The Hummer has beautiful graphics, but I just want to control the functions, WTF??? How do I go back if I push the wrong menu?

Now lets look at launching apps in the HummerEV, oh, only a few show, so you have to scroll around to find the app you want, and if you launch the wrong one, no back button, so you start over. Again the Hummer screen has beautiful graphics, but HTF (how the f---) do I get to the app I want? How do I go back?

In Summary, I think it's clear the 2" of extra screen size in the Tesla and way menus are organized bring tremendous value to the customer. The Tesla is easier to operate, has deeper function control only a click or 2 away, has a back button for all functions, and even a kid can use it. The Hummer infotainment gives me a fatigue feeling, has limited functionality, and while looking beautiful is slug slow in operation.
Buttons on the screen are big to be able to use them in a truck while doing truck things. Take the Tesla off road and try to hit those tiny buttons. As for navigating around in it, I rarely was in an app other than google maps, so can't really offer anything.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Buttons on the screen are big to be able to use them in a truck while doing truck things. Take the Tesla off road and try to hit those tiny buttons.
Not usually adjusting infotainment in the middle of an off roading maneuver. Maybe you do it different, but try reading the Hummer, menu, and scrolling while driving?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Regen in the Hummer takes some getting used to, it's not as smooth as other vehicles but once I got used to it, it was fine. The difficulty comes if you are driving EVs from different manufacturers all the time. It's hard to get the right muscle memory for it then. When we took it on our Florida trip, I had no issues with it being too much or too little regen after the first day or so. I always had it in the highest setting.

Max + Paddle would stop short of the line in a situation where I was driving 10+ over the speed limit and caught a late yellow. It's crazy how much regen the Hummer has when it's maxed out.
Regen modulation should be dialed in to be smooth and linear with throttle movement, the HummerEV, does not have linear control, and Tesla's do. This is just a calibration problem, and easily fixed, should never have gotten to customers with the current cal's. Non linear controls are not a drivers problem, its a vehicle problem, where it bothers me most though is the HummerEV's loose suspension settings, the nose dives down and then rocks back as you try to find the right amount of regen, must look odd to other drivers.

The Hummer has strong regen, no complaint there, but the pedal mapping should be linear to bring it in. For someone not used to regen, they will be hobby horsing all over town.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Regen modulation should be dialed in to be smooth and linear with throttle movement, the HummerEV, does not have linear control, and Tesla's do. This is just a calibration problem, and easily fixed, should never have gotten to customers with the current cal's. Non linear controls are not a drivers problem, its a vehicle problem, where it bothers me most though is the HummerEV's loose suspension settings, the nose dives down and then rocks back as you try to find the right amount of regen, must look odd to other drivers.

The Hummer has strong regen, no complaint there, but the pedal mapping should be linear to bring it in. For someone not used to regen, they will be hobby horsing all over town.
I literally never had that issue in mine, but I spent 3.5 years driving a Bolt EV and they operated pretty similarly with regards to regen.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I literally never had that issue in mine, but I spent 3.5 years driving a Bolt EV and they operated pretty similarly with regards to regen.
I have not driven a bolt, but a Bolt does not have have near the regen power, and the Bolt does to have a suspension that rolls over the nose when using regen. I have never driven a vehicle that has such loose body control like the HummerEV, its like riding a rocking horse on throttle- regen applications, with over exagerated movements not typical in any car I have owned. It feels weird while driving.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have not driven a bolt, but a Bolt does not have have near the regen power, and the Bolt does to have a suspension that rolls over the nose when using regen. I have never driven a vehicle that has such loose body control like the HummerEV, its like riding a rocking horse on throttle- regen applications, with over exagerated movements not typical in any car I have owned. It feels weird while driving.
So when are you selling it? It's a 9000+ lbs vehicle with soft suspension and tires with a shitload of sidewall. It won't ever not be that.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So when are you selling it? It's a 9000+ lbs vehicle with soft suspension and tires with a shitload of sidewall. It won't ever not be that.
Right, you forgot to add shorter wheelbase which hurts it too, the fact the throttle- regen peddle mapping is not linear makes it worse and the body movements more exaggerated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
ya know , all you guys and your complaining and criticizing the truck makes me want to cancel my order, except for the fact when the H2 came out the critics were all over it…blind spots, hard to park, bouncy, noisy, felt like a boat…a big square boat. And bad gas mileage, we’ll they were all wrong and their complaints didn’t bother me.
And….FYI .it was rated at only 1MPG less then the suburban and Denali!!!🥴
If your not use to driving a truck…not an SUV (really just a car with better suspension) you are going to be surprised! My Audi A7 is the best driving, quietest car I have ever owned! You can whisper to other passengers at 75 MPH, with the music playing!
Drive an A7 you’ll see! I wish the Hummer EV would be like that, but it won’t and I know that going in!!!
I’ve had my H2 since 2002, and it is nonearly as bad as the critics said!
Too each his own!
However there were no complaints about the information system…..Because there was none!!!!!!
Just a 5 disc changer in the dash!

spring 22 Still Waiting!!!

21 - 40 of 76 Posts