GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our first trip over 100 miles today, and I was thinking we would get the battery down to where I could go do a charging session, but this think is beating the GOM by a lot. Today we went 135 miles, and used only 107 miles on the GOM mixed driving, freeway, some city, and country highway (60mph)

*Consumption lower then expected
*SuperCruise is awesome, far better then the Driver Assist in the Audi, and more accurate then Tesla A/P

Negatives so far
*This is a noisy vehicle to drive, more wind and tire noise then I expected, also gear whine around 38-40 mph
*Floor in the back seat has an area that is oil canning. (common in Model Y floorboards, but not expected from GM)

·
Registered
150 Posts
That’s interesting, I haven’t tested mine yet, haven’t had a long enough drive. I have now gotten used to and exclusively use one pedal on max, however, whether you have it on the setting or not the range stays the same so it’s nice to see that unit does indeed increase range.

Also love super cruise, it’s been taking me to and from work for the last couple weeks and it’s just so nice.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @Tom E-Tron for having me look up a phrase I hadn’t heard before: oil canning. Is it permanent or does it fluctuate with battery temp?

Also, thanks for the range results.
Ya, the oil canning is no big deal, just pull up the mat and whack the metal with a hammer will usually put enough tension preload on it to fix the oil canning. On the Floor of the HummerEV there is at least 2, and I think 3 layers of metal between the floor interior, and the battery cells.

Range so far has been impressive. I was hoping to get down to 10% today, so I could go DC charge, but I am still over 45%, so I need to take another drive to get it down, so I can do a 350 kW charge.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Took our first trip over 100 miles today, and I was thinking we would get the battery down to where I could go do a charging session, but this think is beating the GOM by a lot. Today we went 135 miles, and used only 107 miles on the GOM mixed driving, freeway, some city, and country highway (60mph)

*Consumption lower then expected
*SuperCruise is awesome, far better then the Driver Assist in the Audi, and more accurate then Tesla A/P

Negatives so far
*This is a noisy vehicle to drive, more wind and tire noise then I expected, also gear whine around 38-40 mph
*Floor in the back seat has an area that is oil canning. (common in Model Y floorboards, but not expected from GM)
is it really that noisy? Or are you comparing it to the Audi, because my Audi, is the quietest car I have ever owned! Every car I have is noisy compared to the Audi.
Is the “oil canning” really that annoying? Is it just in the back seat floor?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Range-wise again, we do seem to have a couple people already on Facebook stating they are getting 400+ mile estimates at 100% after a few weeks of ownership, etc. with normal driving, and that it mostly holds up in various driving as well (freeway/city mix, etc.).

This would be awesome if this is pretty typical of the Edition 1, exceeding the 350+ range initially promised. :)

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
758 Posts
What happened while you were charging it made the pop noise like an oil can?
Was it from the heat of charging?
Yeah, the casing and such had not been taken up to a high temperature. Probably just all the metal interfaces settling in together. It was winter and the truck was only ever in cold temperatures until then.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is it really that noisy? Or are you comparing it to the Audi, because my Audi, is the quietest car I have ever owned! Every car I have is noisy compared to the Audi.
Is the “oil canning” really that annoying? Is it just in the back seat floor?
The Hummer EV is really noisy drivin,tires and wind, so much so you have to adjust the radio volume up with speed. I am coming from a 2020 GMC Denali HD Diesel, which was magnitudes quieter, especially at highway speed (the HD at freeway speed was about the same as our E-Tron)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Range-wise again, we do seem to have a couple people already on Facebook stating they are getting 400+ mile estimates at 100% after a few weeks of ownership, etc. with normal driving, and that it mostly holds up in various driving as well (freeway/city mix, etc.).

This would be awesome if this is pretty typical of the Edition 1, exceeding the 350+ range initially promised. :)
I am not sure about 400 miles, yet, but I think if you drive it normal and not like a hot rod, the range is better then expected.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The Hummer EV is really noisy drivin,tires and wind, so much so you have to adjust the radio volume up with speed. I am coming from a 2020 GMC Denali HD Diesel, which was magnitudes quieter, especially at highway speed (the HD at freeway speed was about the same as our E-Tron)
Even after they properly fixed the windshield, it was still louder than when I had a strip of gaffer tape across the top of the windshield bridging it into the bodywork. I probably would have put the tape back up and left it there. The flat-ish windshield really makes a lot of noise.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even after they properly fixed the windshield, it was still louder than when I had a strip of gaffer tape across the top of the windshield bridging it into the bodywork. I probably would have put the tape back up and left it there. The flat-ish windshield really makes a lot of noise.
Ya, I was thinking mine might have an air leak it's so noisy, but could not find it with water. It is likely that windshield where it meets the roof panels. I think the noise is just a characteristic of the overall design, and another confirmation to me that I am not a "hummer" guy. GM got so much right on this vehicle, and there are some things they can fix, others like the wind and tire noise are just part of a design like this. I would like to see recalibrated regen settings, it needs a lower level of regen for freeway driving, off is too low, on is too much, and I have not even tried Max, not needed.

The most frustrating thing to me so far is the infotainment, which IMO is a disappointment, I guess with practice it would be fine, but I think an infotainment should be more intuitive, and easier to use without having to play with it for hours to learn.

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,090 Posts
Ya, I was thinking mine might have an air leak it's so noisy, but could not find it with water. It is likely that windshield where it meets the roof panels. I think the noise is just a characteristic of the overall design, and another confirmation to me that I am not a "hummer" guy. GM got so much right on this vehicle, and there are some things they can fix, others like the wind and tire noise are just part of a design like this. I would like to see recalibrated regen settings, it needs a lower level of regen for freeway driving, off is too low, on is too much, and I have not even tried Max, not needed.

The most frustrating thing to me so far is the infotainment, which IMO is a disappointment, I guess with practice it would be fine, but I think an infotainment should be more intuitive, and easier to use without having to play with it for hours to learn.
The infotainment layout is very similar to my Volts, watching videos I knew where everything already was with the Truck. There are only a few extra screens.

The one thing I do like is that you can press and drag apps to the menu bar on the left for quick access.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The infotainment layout is very similar to my Volts, watching videos I knew where everything already was with the Truck. There are only a few extra screens.
Ya, it is not well organized or intuitive, and also quite laggy. Lots of room for improvement. As blown away as I am with the new SuperCruise which works amazingly well, almost magic, the infotainment is a buzz kill.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ya, it is not well organized or intuitive, and also quite laggy. Lots of room for improvement. As blown away as I am with the new SuperCruise which works amazingly well, almost magic, the infotainment is a buzz kill.
What is not well organized? What is not intuitive? I guess it depends on the user. I'd like to understand. As all the apps can be moved to where you want them on the main pages I found my Volts UI very intuitive just a few nitpicks.

·
Registered
758 Posts

Leave it off and put the truck in L for yet another setting. It will crawl at a stop then, unless you come to a complete stop while holding the Regen paddle.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess it depends on the user, as all the apps can be moved to where you want them on the main pages.
The whole thing is a mess. Its not competitive with the new infotainment from other OEM's, if I went one by one with issues I would get carpal tunnel before I was finished typing. Ultimately GM should flush this system as soon as possible, and start over with a larger screen, and native developed apps, that look and operate correctly.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The whole thing is a mess. Its not competitive with the new infotainment from other OEM's, if I went one by one with issues I would get carpal tunnel before I was finished typing. Ultimately GM should flush this system as soon as possible, and start over with a larger screen, and native developed apps, that look and operate correctly.
13 Inches is a large screen it doesn't need any bigger.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts