GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I am pretty picky about paint and detailing, When we bought our E-Tron I had to water sand and buff some light orange peel in areas before I ceramic coated it (Audi had a thick clear coat, and cleaned up beautifully) Our Tesla model Y had lots of dirt in the paint, mismatching bumpers, and the paint is very thin down low on the car (on a sunny day at the right angle you can see spray patterns and even through the paint), and in the door jambs, no ability to water sand, or you will go through the clear coat. On the Tesla Y you do not want to look at it under perfect lighting in a detail shop, its terribly thin.

On the HummerEV, WOW!!! I have never seen an OEM vehicle with a better paint finish, not sure if GM is spending extra time on these but I noticed, thick clear coat, smooth, and I did not find any grit in the clear coat, door jambs have full paint and clear coat (never seen door jambs finished as well on a GM vehicle) I did not have to water sand or buff any of it, just Iron removal (because they haul them on open trailers), clay bar, and ceramic coat... Beautiful!!! BRAVO GM, if they hold this paint quality as production ramps up, I will be impressed. One knock though is the drivers door sticks out about .25mm, I might try to adjust it, but it's so small only anal people like me would ever notice. Other 3 doors are perfect. My Tesla Model Y has all the doors and hatch out of flush, the drivers door sticks out 1mm at the latch, very noticeable when washing, or sighting down the vehicle.

I want to put some protectant on the interior (especially the white on the door panel, and center console), but not sure what to use on the different materials yet, I need to do some research and figure out what to use, any ideas?

·
Registered
235 Posts
OK guys, I am pretty picky about paint and detailing, When we bought our E-Tron I had to water sand and buff some light orange peel in areas before I ceramic coated it (Audi had a thick clear coat, and cleaned up beautifully) Our Tesla model Y had lots of dirt in the paint, mismatching bumpers, and the paint is very thin down low on the car (on a sunny day at the right angle you can see spray patterns and even through the paint), and in the door jambs, no ability to water sand, or you will go through the clear coat. On the Tesla Y you do not want to look at it under perfect lighting in a detail shop, its terribly thin.

On the HummerEV, WOW!!! I have never seen an OEM vehicle with a better paint finish, not sure if GM is spending extra time on these but I noticed, thick clear coat, smooth, and I did not find any grit in the clear coat, door jambs have full paint and clear coat (never seen door jambs finished as well on a GM vehicle) I did not have to water sand or buff any of it, just Iron removal (because they haul them on open trailers), clay bar, and ceramic coat... Beautiful!!! BRAVO GM, if they hold this paint quality as production ramps up, I will be impressed. One knock though is the drivers door sticks out about .25mm, I might try to adjust it, but it's so small only anal people like me would ever notice. Other 3 doors are perfect. My Tesla Model Y has all the doors and hatch out of flush, the drivers door sticks out 1mm at the latch, very noticeable when washing, or sighting down the vehicle.

I want to put some protectant on the interior (especially the white on the door panel, and center console), but not sure what to use on the different materials yet, I need to do some research and figure out what to use, any ideas?
@Tom E-Tron ~ my passenger door sticks out about .25mm near the top and it is driving me crazy. Let me know how you adjust that.... I will bring it up to my dealer upon my first visit.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like your fit and finish was a lot better than mine.
Ya, the painted metal fits were near perfect (best I have ever seen on a truck), some of the plastic bits are not, but that doesn't bother me as they are contrasting color, so less noticeable from a reasonable viewing distance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice to hear. My Modem S kinda has crappy white paint and so much of its hatch/door edges are unfinished.

on the interior I’ve heard good things about this ceramic:

GYEON Quartz LeatherShield 50ml - Advanced Sio2 Ceramic Coating for Leather - All types of Natural Leather and Vegan Leather Alike - Does Not Change Finish of Your Upholstery - Repels Dirt and Liquid https://a.co/d/4wpDYos

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice to hear. My Modem S kinda has crappy white paint and so much of its hatch/door edges are unfinished.

on the interior I’ve heard good things about this ceramic:

GYEON Quartz LeatherShield 50ml - Advanced Sio2 Ceramic Coating for Leather - All types of Natural Leather and Vegan Leather Alike - Does Not Change Finish of Your Upholstery - Repels Dirt and Liquid https://a.co/d/4wpDYos
I like all of GYEON products, I have a collection.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Tom E-Tron ~ my passenger door sticks out about .25mm near the top and it is driving me crazy. Let me know how you adjust that.... I will bring it up to my dealer upon my first visit.
If it's just the top of the door, that is harder (hinge adjustment), better to let the dealer attempt that, mine is the whole length of the door, so just small adjustment on the strike. It's so small on mine I feel silly worrying about it, but if I can easily fix it, I will. Sometimes you start making adjustments though and it's like a can of worms, fix one part, and then another parts is off.

·
Registered
C7 Corvette, H3X Hummer
108 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts