GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
Yes, Tom witnessed other EVs charging normally even using the dispenser he abandoned, which strongly suggests a vehicle issue. If this EV was a GM press loaner, I’d have expected GM would have verified it was 100% prepared to not have issues. So what happened? I’m sure when Lucid let Tom test theirs for the first time, they dress-rehearsed both the vehicle and the charge station, knowing the PR stakes. I’m seeing conversations on all the GM EV forums asking about the fast charging expected and, to-date, we have seen nothing other than anecdotal posts from owners charging in various non-ideal situations. The only actual non-NDA’ed owner of a dealer-delivered Lyriq communicating on their forum has reported speeds not even close to GM’s claims, even under apparently good conditions.

Tom’s range test was a GM home run, but the failed charge session was like hitting a home run and then forgetting to step on home plate.
The Hummer charging does have some quirks, I have seen too, on EV-Go, our other EV's start at a hight rate then taper, but the Hummer starts at its high rate, and will have dramatic drops, then go back up, then drop again, sometimes dropping to as low as 20kW, then back to 150 kW within a minute. GM definitely still has work to do on the battery management.

The Hummer charging does have some quirks, I have seen too, on EV-Go, our other EV's start at a hight rate then taper, but the Hummer starts at its high rate, and will have dramatic drops, then go back up, then drop again, sometimes dropping to as low as 20kW, then back to 150 kW within a minute. GM definitely still has work to do on the battery management.
I think they have some software bugs/issues. Those steep drops are an indication charging is stopping or pausing for some reason. The TFL guys saw it drop to 12kw, before climbing back up. Tom M saw it completely shut off a couple of times and he had to unplug and restart.

When the Rivian was first released, it had thermal limits causing power drops, but those were not as steep or as far down as these cliffs the Hummer is seeing. Rivian later did software updates to fix the issues and increase the current up to 500A. But at least one of the tests on the EV6 showed something very similar to what the Hummer is doing.

All of the EA chargers have had their communications off for the last few weeks and EA has been upgrading them to 5G, everyone has been getting free charging during this time. Yesterday things came back online and real time charging status is up again. I was surprised when Tom M indicated that EA was able to monitor the charging station in real time when he had the issues. A tech told me they are also replacing circuit boards in all the chargers, but that is going slow to due supply chain issues.

Did a quick trip to our property to make sure every thing was good. Trip was 70mph 98% of the time, had a couple lead foot moments as well. Three adults, food and cloths for an overnighter. The range is very accurate unlike other EV's where you are deducting 25% off the top. Love this truck!

Very happy with the results, did not have a pick when we left on the way up but at 100% range was 331miles, arrived with 68% and 227 mile range left. Trip up was 103 miles. Highest mi/kwh was 2.2 at times, fluctuated between 1.5-2.2.

Vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror Output device Motor vehicle

The trip back was the same 103 miles, range at 100% was 331miles, arrived with 69% 232 mile range left.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Gadget Handwriting

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Font Automotive exterior

Furniture Table Window Wood Lighting

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.