GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

HummerEV 70 mph Highway Range Test

4K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Bboozer1 
OK, clickbait title, I do not know the result of the InsideEV range test yet, but figure those of us owners should make some guesses?

I had guessed around 300 miles, I am seeing closer to 400 miles in mixed driving, but it definitely is lower on the highway. What do you folks think the 70 MPH range test result will be?
@Tom E-Tron: I concur. My range modeling software says 297 miles @ 70 deg. F/sea level. See below. That will probably be Tom Malough's. When Kyle Connor does it, driving from mile-high Ft Collins, the spreadsheet suggests he'll probably do an "amazing" 330 miles.

Note also that at 80 mph, it shows about 257 miles, fitting with @Dark-Fx 's 250-275 trip result.
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Pattern
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Pattern

What are you using as battery capacity? My truck was reporting over 214kWh. Our first real big drain of the battery was in below freezing weather, calculated out around there as well. I'm not sure if Ultium reports a lower capacity in cold weather but my Bolt would report about a 5% capacity loss just because of the cold that would come back in the summer.
215 kWh usable.

All settings and assumptions shown below:

Font Art Number Monochrome

Holy no-smokes, State-of-Charge Man! Looks like I have to do some GM-specific recalibrations on the good side! To get the Hummer's range model to match at range requires better drag, better rolling resistance, less frontal area, AND bump up the drive/battery system efficiency to Lucid's stratospheric level. GM must have put some secret sauce into that vehicle's drive and aero engineering.

And this was below just 700'/ elevation, right at standard air temperature conditions, and with a bit of wind! Kyle Connor likely will hit near 375+ miles if he tests in Colorado.

This test result also has significant implications for the Silverado EV RST, which will have the same pack, but with a much better drag coefficient, less frontal area, probably 10% lighter, and a highway tire, It will probably test out WAY over 400 miles - probably 450 miles or more.

Be sure to watch today's IEVs podcast. He showed the fast charge curve. He had all kinds of problems that EA's engineers told him were vehicle-related, not charger related. The Hummer appears to have some significant charging issues. Tom is researching with GM to get the straight scoop.

I am willing to bet EA has charger issues, I have experienced all kinds of them and I predicted there would be issues when they do the fast charging test on the Hummer. Since EA deleted the display of what the vehicle is requesting, how can they prove the issues are on the vehicle side? There are apps that can be connected to the OBD ports in the vehicle to get the real data.

The older ABB units that EA built claimed 350kw, but they had a 450A limit, thus would only get that level with 780V, which is at a very high SoC for an 800V system. Many of their chargers have been current limited to 350A recently, due to over heating issues. Kyle Conner saw this when he charged a Hummer in Phoenix and has also seen it with his Rivian.
I just visited that station's Plugshare page. All kinds of recent checkins by Rivians, BMW i4's, etc. that have full 500 amp charging capacity reporting 200 kW or more charging without apparent issues. Granted, they are 400-volt architecture, not 800 volt, but if there are electronics/handle/cable heating issues, its the amps that create the heat, not the volts. I suspect it was not an EA problem. This is in the vehicle.

Tom's test is, at the minimum, a major GM PR fail, if not a technical fail. GM has had the chance for months to act proactively and provide real-world demonstrations of the Hummer's and Lyriq's best charging speeds. GM has made several significant claims for charging speeds, including that the Hummer will add 100 miles in 10 minutes. But they should know that demonstrating really, really good speeds on their first Ultium-based vehicles is critically important to launching ALL their new EV's, including Lyriq, Silverado, Blazer, and Equinox. Words don't get you back on the road in a timely manner. The biggest single non-pack-fire-related criticism of the otherwise very-successful Bolt was its slow charging speed. The market will not tolerate anything hinting of slow speeds from GM's new EV line. The fact one of the most knowledgeable fast-charging consultants in the world, using what is supposed to be one of the best charging systems in the US, could not get a successful session of GM's first Ultium-based EV out-of-the-box looks really bad.

Yes, Tom witnessed other EVs charging normally even using the dispenser he abandoned, which strongly suggests a vehicle issue. If this EV was a GM press loaner, I’d have expected GM would have verified it was 100% prepared to not have issues. So what happened? I’m sure when Lucid let Tom test theirs for the first time, they dress-rehearsed both the vehicle and the charge station, knowing the PR stakes. I’m seeing conversations on all the GM EV forums asking about the fast charging expected and, to-date, we have seen nothing other than anecdotal posts from owners charging in various non-ideal situations. The only actual non-NDA’ed owner of a dealer-delivered Lyriq communicating on their forum has reported speeds not even close to GM’s claims, even under apparently good conditions.

Tom’s range test was a GM home run, but the failed charge session was like hitting a home run and then forgetting to step on home plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.