GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Aren't trailers that have their own batteries (and possibly motors that sync) connected to the truck's to extend their range a future solution? I know you have to balance the weight to range to avoid excessive diminishing returns, but just as a method of extending range (at the expense of charge times)

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aren't trailers that have their own batteries (and possibly motors that sync) connected to the truck's to extend their range a future solution? I know you have to balance the weight to range to avoid excessive diminishing returns, but just as a method of extending range (at the expense of charge times)
They exist but I don't think they are in production yet?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ve seen a few press releases from various companies working on it but I haven’t seen anything available in the market yet.

The added weight has to be an issue. For example if an Airstream weighs 7k lbs fully loaded with no assist, and 9-11k lbs with a battery and motor but it tows like a 2k lbs trailer… what is the required rating of the tow vehicle? I’m guessing the full weight as if the motors don’t work… which kicks people up to a bigger tow vehicle to pull something that should be otherwise towed with a smaller capacity vehicle.
aside from that, most campers are targeting lower budgets that likely aren’t spending their capital on pricier electric vehicles.
there’s a market, it’s probably just really small right now.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,091 Posts
I'd rather have a class B or C than pull something that attempts to augment range loss. You'd have to charge both things every time you stop, it'd be really annoying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts