GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am curious what level of privacy considerations are available in the infotainment system. With it being Android and plastered w Google all over this video I can only Imagine how that data will be used to profile users/drivers...

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am curious what level of privacy considerations are available in the infotainment system. With it being Android and plastered w Google all over this video I can only Imagine how that data will be used to profile users/drivers...
It's no more different that people using their Android phones and using Android Auto. Though GM will have more say on what background processes are running on these things, but GM is seeking more ways to profit off of their drivers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's no more different that people using their Android phones and using Android Auto. Though GM will have more say on what background processes are running on these things, but GM is seeking more ways to profit off of their drivers.
Hence the reason I dont use an android phone. Perhaps I am naive but at least Apple gives the illusion of data protections that extend to CarPlay integration. I do know at some point everyone will have to deal with this since it looks like all these new entertainment systems from all manufacturers are Android based. I think we all know Google is not an altruistic company...

• Haha
Reactions: Nebula1701

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hence the reason I dont use an android phone. Perhaps I am naive but at least Apple gives the illusion of data protections that extend to CarPlay integration. I do know at some point everyone will have to deal with this since it looks like all these new entertainment systems from all manufacturers are Android based. I think we all know Google is not an altruistic company...
The only thing Google will see in these systems is when someone uses a google service with their google account. Same as using Google Maps on an iphone.... or youtube music...
Android Automotive and GM's future in house linux based Ultifi platform will make these systems far more appealing to people and developers to create apps and services people will use.
If you don't want to use the built in functions, however, just use Carplay, that isn't going away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only thing Google will see in these systems is when someone uses a google service with their google account.
You dont really believe this do you? The system by its nature is a google service and they are likely collecting on everything. The basic functionality of the system the second you turn it on is a service.

Anyway, I am starting to sound like a tinfoil hat wearing loon.... :) Just not a Google anything fan

• Haha
Reactions: Nebula1701

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts