GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
934 Posts
Extract mode was always planned for the second model year, it was in the fine print on the ED 1 reveal, OTA software update for early customers
I sort of expected it just being a software thing would have been already completed by the time the deliveries started. Wondering if they are going to stick it behind a geofence or anything.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I sort of expected it just being a software thing would have been already completed by the time the deliveries started. Wondering if they are going to stick it behind a geofence or anything.
Will not be able to use it on road or over 10 mph is likely, if you know anything about suspension you will understand, when you extend out the dampers it has to be done carefully, or will cause an accident, or rip the dampers apart.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Thanks! I don’t think I realized that it would be lower than a Raptor. I was kind of expecting it to be taller.
Hummer has more ground clearance, better approach and departure angles, and shorter wheelbase, in other words far better off road in rocks and rough terrain. Hummer has a chopped roof look though, ie short windshield, Raptor is just the regular Ford cab, hence boring looking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks! I don’t think I realized that it would be lower than a Raptor. I was kind of expecting it to be taller.
Adding to what Tom said as well, the Hummer's air suspension lowers when it parks for ease of entry/exit. You're seeing it in it's lowered mode there, not in driving mode - and certainly not in the highest setting(s) it has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hummer has more ground clearance, better approach and departure angles, and shorter wheelbase, in other words far better off road in rocks and rough terrain. Hummer has a chopped roof look though, ie short windshield, Raptor is just the regular Ford cab, hence boring looking.
Adding to what Tom said as well, the Hummer's air suspension lowers when it parks for ease of entry/exit. You're seeing it in it's lowered mode there, not in driving mode - and certainly not in the highest setting(s) it has.
Thanks! Just making sure I can still flex on the other dads in the school drop off line. ;)

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
243 Posts
I've yet to see anything from GMC saying/showing their air suspension can handle high-speed off roading better than a Raptor (which is what it's designed for), although I'd love to hear it's great in those scenarios.

If you want rocks/slow speed rough terrain, a Gladiator is probably the more apt comparison (or a Gladiator on 35s), although Gladiator breakover and departure angles still aren't as good.

And the Gen 3 Raptor has better ground clearance than the Hummer for now (since we don't get Extract Mode yet) - 11.9 for the Hummer vs. 12.0 on 35s and 13.1 on 37s for the Raptor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've yet to see anything from GMC saying/showing their air suspension can handle high-speed off roading better than a Raptor (which is what it's designed for), although I'd love to hear it's great in those scenarios.

If you want rocks/slow speed rough terrain, a Gladiator is probably the more apt comparison (or a Gladiator on 35s), although Gladiator breakover and departure angles still aren't as good.

And the Gen 3 Raptor has better ground clearance than the Hummer for now (since we don't get Extract Mode yet) - 11.9 for the Hummer vs. 12.0 on 35s and 13.1 on 37s for the Raptor.
I’m not sure this will work, sorry, copying from my phone— but there’s quite a bit of video showing the suspension handling high speed bumpy terrain with ease. Here’s a few:

video during the Michigan testing when car magazines could finally get a hold of test drive units:

GMC video showing suspension in action (visualization)

I think the point of the Hummer EV was for GM (the last of the big 3 to make one) to finally have something that can directly compete (and win) against the Raptor and TRX— it’s biggest competitors on price, capability, size, etc.

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
243 Posts
I’m not sure this will work, sorry, copying from my phone— but there’s quite a bit of video showing the suspension handling high speed bumpy terrain with ease
Not really...the proving grounds videos were largely on flat, graded dirt trails showing some drifting. And one of the videos you posted if I recall starts out with a disclaimer that the whole video is made up of CGI trucks. There aren't videos (that I've seen) doing desert whoops or (since all Raptor videos must include this) going airborne...not saying it can't be done. The best I've seen was on this page from GMC where they assert desert domination, but the trails they're on are quite tame:

For example, you don't see anything like this section in the Hummer videos I've seen:

Edit to add: I've now confirmed my order and am super excited to receive my truck, but am prepared to be underwhelmed by high-speed off-road prowess. Even going from a Raptor to a TRX, you get pounded by the increase in weight. So if the 9k Hummer on air springs can actually compete, I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.