GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just watched this whole video, so much great info! That is so awesome that they are testing it out to that range so they can see how it will perform over time. This is one of the best and most informational videos I’ve seen on the Hummer EV. I’m headed back up to Detroit a couple times over the next month for work I wonder if @Aloppen would let a fellow HummerChat member check out his model in person 😉🤔

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just watched this whole video, so much great info! That is so awesome that they are testing it out to that range so they can see how it will perform over time. This is one of the best and most informational videos I’ve seen on the Hummer EV. I’m headed back up to Detroit a couple times over the next month for work I wonder if @Aloppen would let a fellow HummerChat member check out his model in person 😉🤔
If Al cannot get you a look, you can stop by the Ren-Cen down on the riverfront, they likely have or will soon have one there for the public to see.

·
Registered
87 Posts
First off
, Great job @Aloppen. It’s looking great.

Secondly. At about 11:05 in the video it almost looks like the Hummer is pivoting ok it’s inside back wheel. I believe the new Bronco and Land Cruiser could basically brake that wheel on a turn to make it even tighter. I would think it would be easy to do with dual rear motors. Maybe this would be reserved for Ives without the rear wheel steering though. If could just the way it was filmed though to give me that impression!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off
, Great job @Aloppen. It’s looking great.

Secondly. At about 11:05 in the video it almost looks like the Hummer is pivoting ok it’s inside back wheel. I believe the new Bronco and Land Cruiser could basically brake that wheel on a turn to make it even tighter. I would think it would be easy to do with dual rear motors. Maybe this would be reserved for Ives without the rear wheel steering though. If could just the way it was filmed though to give me that impression!
There are a lot of possibilities with individual rear wheel control, it's really how far does GM want to go writing software, and then what do we get packages with the vehicle, and what costs extra? I expect GM will have some hop up options like Tesla does, pay, and get even more performance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One other thing: Al talked a good bit about plugging your accessories in when out camping. I know the SUV was going to have quite a bit of capability in that regard when if comes out a little bit later. I wonder what the first editions will have in that regard. Glad to know it will not just be USB plugs then!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great video! So Extract Mode is late availability for Edition 1? Probably no big deal as that’s where I’ll be anyway with my EV3X reservation and E1 waitlist. Also interested to see what the power outlet capabilities are. I’m not expecting the array of outlets Ford will offer with the F-150 Lightning and its work truck purposing, but who knows, maybe…. Either way I think we’ll have plenty for what most will need.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great video! So Extract Mode is late availability for Edition 1? Probably no big deal as that’s where I’ll be anyway with my EV3X reservation and E1 waitlist. Also interested to see what the power outlet capabilities are. I’m not expecting the array of outlets Ford will offer with the F-150 Lightning and its work truck purposing, but who knows, maybe…. Either way I think we’ll have plenty for what most will need.
GM has had a "late availability" disclaimer for Extract Mode since the original unveil. Just an OTA software update evidently.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other thing: Al talked a good bit about plugging your accessories in when out camping. I know the SUV was going to have quite a bit of capability in that regard when if comes out a little bit later. I wonder what the first editions will have in that regard. Glad to know it will not just be USB plugs then!
Yes, I heard that too, excited for more details on that capability.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ah, if Extract is just a software thing then that’s no big deal. We get it when it’s ready…. I somehow was under the impression it was an extra physical option for the suspension we had to configure to add the ability. Not sure how I missed that.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, if Extract is just a software thing then that’s no big deal. We get it when it’s ready…. I somehow was under the impression it was an extra physical option for the suspension we had to configure to add the ability. Not sure how I missed that.
It is a software update for edition 1, not sure about other models, if they come with the same suspension parts. My guess is they are still working on the algorithms, and validation to make sure it works in a safe way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great find, Tom!

Also, aerodynamics matter more than weight in terms of reducing range and efficiency. He alluded to how accessories like the pod lights and light bar will affect aerodynamics and range.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’s standard on all models other than the EV2. As long as it has the air suspension you’ll be able to get the software update and perform the function.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know this is an EV forum so we understand, but glad he touched on the similarities from gas to electric. I see all the time clients want to overcomplicate it. If you have significant wheel spin in the sand and are on the accelerator more with an ICE engine you are using more gas plain and simple. It's no different on an electric motor in the sand.

On a side note about charging offroad and camping. I had a client previously when I was at Chevy in California buy a Bolt and had the level 2 charger installed at home. He had it terminated in the Nema 14-50 plug vs hard wired. He was worried about having to evacuate due to fires and most RV parks have 220V Nema 14-50 plugs for RVs. He can now unplug and unscrew his level 2 charger and head to an RV park if needed and have faster charging. Upon looking at the Plugshare map of MOAB Utah there are several spots at RV parks for plugging in as well as level 2 chargers in the area. You could very easily have your campsite reserved with 220v power and plug your Hummer in every night with your own charger.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most all camp sites have NEMA 14-50 but many, especially older, also have some TT-30 outlets. Of course that’s a much slower charge, but I picked up a TT-30 plug for my Tesla UMC when I got my first Model S. I tried it once out of curiosity and it was fine. But that was it, never actually needed the plug. Don’t have one to go with my newer S and the 2nd generation UMC.

I want to build a new toy hauler and camp trailer that has a fold-out solar array and storage battery. The tech and hardware exist. Pricing isn’t so attractive at the moment, mostly it’s the batteries.. But I see these becoming quite common with more electric trucks and overlanders going electric. In theory, I could run electric ATVs/ SxS or bikes and whatnot, drive off into nowhere and stay as long as I wanted. I keep telling my overland buddies that EV tech will eventually dominate overlanding for this reason, self sufficient and don’t need to find gas.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know this is an EV forum so we understand, but glad he touched on the similarities from gas to electric. I see all the time clients want to overcomplicate it. If you have significant wheel spin in the sand and are on the accelerator more with an ICE engine you are using more gas plain and simple. It's no different on an electric motor in the sand.

On a side note about charging offroad and camping. I had a client previously when I was at Chevy in California buy a Bolt and had the level 2 charger installed at home. He had it terminated in the Nema 14-50 plug vs hard wired. He was worried about having to evacuate due to fires and most RV parks have 220V Nema 14-50 plugs for RVs. He can now unplug and unscrew his level 2 charger and head to an RV park if needed and have faster charging. Upon looking at the Plugshare map of MOAB Utah there are several spots at RV parks for plugging in as well as level 2 chargers in the area. You could very easily have your campsite reserved with 220v power and plug your Hummer in every night with your own charger.
Most all camp sites have NEMA 14-50 but many, especially older, also have some TT-30 outlets. Of course that’s a much slower charge, but I picked up a TT-30 plug for my Tesla UMC when I got my first Model S. I tried it once out of curiosity and it was fine. But that was it, never actually needed the plug. Don’t have one to go with my newer S and the 2nd generation UMC.

I want to build a new toy hauler and camp trailer that has a fold-out solar array and storage battery. The tech and hardware exist. Pricing isn’t so attractive at the moment, mostly it’s the batteries.. But I see these becoming quite common with more electric trucks and overlanders going electric. In theory, I could run electric ATVs/ SxS or bikes and whatnot, drive off into nowhere and stay as long as I wanted. I keep telling my overland buddies that EV tech will eventually dominate overlanding for this reason, self sufficient and don’t need to find gas.
I agree with you, can make power almost anywhere, not so much for Gas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts