GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove home yesterday and received a message that the vehicle was initiating an OTA update. This morning when I get in to start the vehicle the screen flickered for a bit then everything shut off. Vehicle is essentially dead right now. Called the dealership but they’re not sure what to do, which tends to be the case with this vehicle as nobody really knows how to work on them.

Curious if anyone has experienced this issue.

I’ll update the group when I hear more.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Drove home yesterday and received a message that the vehicle was initiating an OTA update. This morning when I get in to start the vehicle the screen flickered for a bit then everything shut off. Vehicle is essentially dead right now. Called the dealership but they’re not sure what to do, which tends to be the case with this vehicle as nobody really knows how to work on them.

Curious if anyone has experienced this issue.

I’ll update the group when I hear more.
Sounds like low 12V battery, open the frunk and put a charger on the 12V before taking to the dealer, might start right back up with a charge

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,087 Posts
Sounds like low 12V battery, open the frunk and put a charger on the 12V before taking to the dealer, might start right back up with a charge
This right here ^. Low 12V seems to be a common issue with EVs.
Also I don't like the sound of the 12V dying during an OTA hopefully that didn't brick the Infotainment or something else.

Did you have the truck plugged in at all?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This right here ^. Low 12V seems to be a common issue with EVs.
Also I don't like the sound of the 12V dying during an OTA hopefully that didn't brick the Infotainment or something else.

Did you have the truck plugged in at all?
The truck was plugged in at the time of the update.
Not sure how to open the frunk. There’s no power to the vehicle.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
585 Posts
A lot of new vehicles end up sitting around now waiting for parts or shipping to dealerships, it is no wonder many 12V batteries seem to go bad very quickly. Makes me wonder if the same thing is happening to new ICE vehicles. Seems like they should leave those parked cars with the batteries disconnected during storage.

·
Registered
C7 Corvette, H3X Hummer
108 Posts
A lot of new vehicles end up sitting around now waiting for parts or shipping to dealerships, it is no wonder many 12V batteries seem to go bad very quickly. Makes me wonder if the same thing is happening to new ICE vehicles. Seems like they should leave those parked cars with the batteries disconnected during storage.
After Two weeks of not being used the batteries should be put on trickle charge. Standard procedure for boats. My corvette came with a trickle charger and outlet in rear of car since a lot of corvettes in the northern states stay in the garage for the winter.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
585 Posts
After Two weeks of not being used the batteries should be put on trickle charge. Standard procedure for boats. My corvette came with a trickle charger and outlet in rear of car since a lot of corvettes in the northern states stay in the garage for the winter.
I have a boat and keep it on a battery tender, also a car I rarely drive. But GM has 95k parked vehicles, I doubt they have trickle chargers on all of those.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Thanks for the advice regarding the 12V battery. Vehicle started right up after jump starting it. No issues since. I’ll have the service team take a look at it to see if it needs to be replaced. Hopefully this was just an edge case and nobody else has any issues installing the latest update.
Awesome, glad it worked out for you. Hummer Ev has a few potential battery draining functions that need to get cleaned up in the software. @Nebula1701 was saying if you leave the Hummer On it should turn off in time as you exit, but that is not true on mine, I left mine on by accident for 3 hours the other day to keep the A/C running, I was just running into a shop to pick up some parts, but then got BS'ing with the machinists, and forgot, then went to lunch with the shop foreman, the HummerEv ran the whole time and still running when I got back. The other is the initializing when the FOB is close, I go in and out of the garage multiple times on a typical evening, my Tesla does this too, and starts to boot up if you are near the car with your phone.

I had a little glitch yesterday that was a new one, radio quit, no sound at all, not even turn signals. Upon restarting, all was back to normal. This was my first software glitch.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
@Nebula1701 was saying if you leave the Hummer On it should turn off in time as you exit, but that is not true on mine, I left mine on by accident for 3 hours the other day
Huh interesting, I'll have to look into that further.

Not a bad idea... I wonder if GM puts those vehicles in a special mode when they are parked?
Yes, there is a "Transport Mode." All of GM's ICE Vehicles have it for long term storage during transport or storage at Dealerships. It puts the vehicles in a sort of Hyper Sleep mode. I don't see why the Hummer should be different.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
@Tom E-Tron

I talked to Hummer concierge and they pointed me to this:
They say what you experienced shouldn't happen.
They'd like to talk to you or have you take your vehicle in for diagnostic.

Font Number Document

I can only think of one thing... did you have anything depressing the switch on the gear selector? That's a trick on the Volts to keep them running past their timer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts