GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
It reinforces that the Silverado EV is going to be the Hauler and work truck. Whereas the Hummer is the performance "super truck".
Yes, except the Silverado EV rides on the same structural backbone, and same battery pack and drive units, so I expect the Silverado will weigh only about 1000 lbs less than the Hummer EV, which is still going to be very heavy compared to the competition (Ford Excluded) but Ford Lightning will likely have a real crewcab and 6' bed pickup. I am truly concerned the BT1 program is off to a bad start, sure hope GM proves me wrong. The Rivian with 400 mile battery will weigh about 6200-6500lbs, and the Cybertruck should be in the same neighborhood, going to be hard for an 8000lb Silverado EV to compete for efficiency and range with anyone but Ford.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So my sales guy says the preliminary numbers are in the system. They are not considered final, but it’s rare that this stuff changes for new vehicles once there. I always knew the Hummer EV would be heavy. Tesla Model X weights in at 6600lbs and this is significantly larger. So a 9000lb curb weight is higher than I wanted, but not at all unexpected. For me, the max GVWR of 10,400 and lackluster tow ratings are a problem. Myself, my son and two dogs along with two dirt bikes in back and minimal camp gear puts us right on or even exceeds the cargo capacity of this “truck”.

While I think the off-road capabilities will be very good, and that is what drew me to the Hummer EV in the first place, I still need a truck to do truck stuff. Additionally, that 9000lb weight is going to be a show stopper for a lot of off-road guys when it comes to recovery considerations. If you’re seriously off-roading the HEV or crawling with it, you had better make some friends with others doing the same who are equipped to help you out. When you’re stuck 2/3 on your side or nose down a hill and need to be pulled back up, no Jeep is going to be able to save your 4.5-ton chunky butt.

Having a separate vehicle for towing just doesn’t work for many of us. I need my towing and off-road vehicle to be one in the same. I need to tow a trailer with ATVs/ bikes or an SxS and other stuff when I go places that I will be off-road. At this point if I’m going to get a truck that is not a truck, I’ll go with the Ford Bronco that has half the GVWR and 4X the cargo and tow capacity for 1/2 the price.

It will be interesting to see what Ford shows us Wednesday.... Although I don’t have very high hopes there either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The extra weight is a little concerning. Off-roading here in Tennessee and the rest of the southeast means mud more than rock, although there is both. I don’t find mud on purpose but it occasionally finds me for fun and/or contingency reasons. The Hummer weighs a full ton more than my Power Wagon did and twice as much as my current four door Rubicon. The Hummer would likely sink up to the belly even with extract mode.

The limited payload is a little concerning also. While I would probably never need to exceed it. I do believe it is better to have and not need payload/towing capacity, especially in such a large vehicle. Contingency planning again.

The cost/weight/lack of payload/no spare concerns are starting to add up…Why can’t Ram make a convertible Power Wagon?

·
Registered
571 Posts
So my sales guy says the preliminary numbers are in the system. They are not considered final, but it’s rare that this stuff changes for new vehicles once there. I always knew the Hummer EV would be heavy. Tesla Model X weights in at 6600lbs and this is significantly larger. So a 9000lb curb weight is higher than I wanted, but not at all unexpected. For me, the max GVWR of 10,400 and lackluster tow ratings are a problem. Myself, my son and two dogs along with two dirt bikes in back and minimal camp gear puts us right on or even exceeds the cargo capacity of this “truck”.

While I think the off-road capabilities will be very good, and that is what drew me to the Hummer EV in the first place, I still need a truck to do truck stuff. Additionally, that 9000lb weight is going to be a show stopper for a lot of off-road guys when it comes to recovery considerations. If you’re seriously off-roading the HEV or crawling with it, you had better make some friends with others doing the same who are equipped to help you out. When you’re stuck 2/3 on your side or nose down a hill and need to be pulled back up, no Jeep is going to be able to save your 4.5-ton chunky butt.

Having a separate vehicle for towing just doesn’t work for many of us. I need my towing and off-road vehicle to be one in the same. I need to tow a trailer with ATVs/ bikes or an SxS and other stuff when I go places that I will be off-road. At this point if I’m going to get a truck that is not a truck, I’ll go with the Ford Bronco that has half the GVWR and 4X the cargo and tow capacity for 1/2 the price.

It will be interesting to see what Ford shows us Wednesday.... Although I don’t have very high hopes there either.
To me the Hummer spes and capabilities fall in a bit of no mans land. All that weight along with awful aerodynamics are going to make road trips almost out of the question on consumption. Also tire wear will be unbelievable with that torque and mass... Then like you say, you are up a certain creek if you ever get it stuck off road, a few guys are not going to rock it loose. Bronco is not a bad choice, but we do not park Ford's in my garage.

Ya, I going to test drive the Rivian next time they are in town, and see what I think. For us being all EV is the highest priority, and maybe the Rivian is a better fit. I am not going to buy from a new manufacture though for at least a while to let them shake out the bugs. So for now, I am stuck with old smokey, the diesel (actually never seen any smoke).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m not sure why people are shocked by these numbers we knew it was going to be very heavy and we knew it was not going to be very capable at the usual truck things it’s more off road meant and just really a just a toy I can’t wait for mines to comes I’m gonna wrap the whole truck in Safemoon crypto coin since i made the money off that to pay for it😂
Also is I’m not mistaken isn’t the raptor about the same pay load ? I know that’s a lot lighter but I mean it’s electric so really you could only wait and see what’s Ford numbers looks like on there ev truck

·
Registered
571 Posts
I’m not sure why people are shocked by these numbers we knew it was going to be very heavy and we knew it was not going to be very capable at the usual truck things it’s more off road meant and just really a just a toy I can’t wait for mines to comes I’m gonna wrap the whole truck in Safemoon crypto coin since i made the money off that to pay for it😂
Also is I’m not mistaken isn’t the raptor about the same pay load ? I know that’s a lot lighter but I mean it’s electric so really you could only wait and see what’s Ford numbers looks like on there ev truck
Very heavy would be 7500-8000 lbs, 9000 pounds puts it in its own category, and not a good one. This is beyond pleasantly plump, or chunky, right up to flat out Obese. I cannot wait to see a breakdown to see where all that weight comes from, I am wondering if GM's battery is so bad that is 3000 lbs+ for 200 kWh? Or is it bigger than 200 kWh? I have read that the Hummer has aluminum tailgate, doors and hood, and aluminum suspension. Regardless this crosses it off my list as it cannot handle my workload, and I am not a heavy truck user.

Yes, the payload is similar to Raptor and TRX, maybe I expected too much from GM? I though GM was serious about EV's and would relentlessly work to drive down the weight and improve efficiency, but both the Hummer and the Lyriq are too heavy and not competitive in their class even today, and with the new rounds of EV's lining up for release in the next couple years its going to make these GM offerings look silly when you talk range and efficiency. Then GM's charging strategy connecting with all the po dunk charging networks is a bad strategy. If GM is serious about EV's there are only 2 charing networks in the USA worth talking about joining Electrify America (VW) and Tesla, all the rest of them combined are a joke, especially for something as big and thirsty as the Hummer EV, you are going to need the fastest charging units you can find, If you hit a 50 kW charger, you are going to be there for an hour for every hour of driving on the highway.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
91 Posts
If GM is serious about EV's there are only 2 charging networks in the USA worth talking about joining Electrify America (VW) and Tesla, all the rest of them combined are a joke, especially for something as big and thirsty as the Hummer EV, you are going to need the fastest charging units you can find, If you hit a 50 kW charger, you are going to be there for an hour for every hour of driving on the highway.
Not quite sure about this comment. Hummer will work with all the EA chargers, no partnership needed. They have partnered with EVGO to install new chargers and EVGO is now installing many 350KW chargers as well. Yes the old generation chargers were only 50KW, but both ChargePoint and EVGO are now installing 125KW and higher chargers.

Checkout the EVGO chargers in Baker, CA at the Worlds Tallest Thermometer.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Not quite sure about this comment. Hummer will work with all the EA chargers, no partnership needed. They have partnered with EVGO to install new chargers and EVGO is now installing many 350KW chargers as well. Yes the old generation chargers were only 50KW, but both ChargePoint and EVGO are now installing 125KW and higher chargers.

Checkout the EVGO chargers in Baker, CA at the Worlds Tallest Thermometer.
the part I have a hard time understanding is that EA is rolling out plug and charge tech, no fumbling with apps and credit cards, and EA already has a nationwide network of 350 kW chargers, not just 1 station in a place I have never been. Within 40 miles of my house there are 28 different EA locations and more under construction, all have at least 150 kW and many 350 kw, units. It's just nuts that GM wants to partner with the little guys and their junky networks, when you can join the big guy and have a semi great network of 800v chargers, and direct plug to charge from day 1. I wonder if GM has a poor corporate relationship with VW? That being said, GM's strategy leaves GM EV buyers hanging onto last generation technology, and yes GM EV owners can use EA stations, but the experience of Plug and Charge will not be theirs, and that is a game changer as any Tesla owner will tell you. Just plug and walk away, no apps to fumble through, and no dealing with payment errors, etc...

BTW, I just pulled up Plugshare, and did not find even 1 EV Go station within 200 miles of my house with over 100 kW, not 1. I found some 50's and 25's, but those are useless for a large EV, as I do not have hours to spend charging on the side of the road. There is one 150 kW EV Go station that is under construction, but in an area that is no help to me.

I deleted the rest of this message as it was a bit of a rant on GM, and others for not taking the EV movement seriously enough.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
To me the Hummer spes and capabilities fall in a bit of no mans land. All that weight along with awful aerodynamics are going to make road trips almost out of the question on consumption. Also tire wear will be unbelievable with that torque and mass... Then like you say, you are up a certain creek if you ever get it stuck off road, a few guys are not going to rock it loose. Bronco is not a bad choice, but we do not park Ford's in my garage.

Ya, I going to test drive the Rivian next time they are in town, and see what I think. For us being all EV is the highest priority, and maybe the Rivian is a better fit. I am not going to buy from a new manufacture though for at least a while to let them shake out the bugs. So for now, I am stuck with old smokey, the diesel (actually never seen any smoke).
I had read on another site that Rivian has big plans for a summer tour. I'll be interested as well to see where they're visiting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
BTW, I just pulled up Plugshare, and did not find even 1 EV Go station within 200 miles of my house with over 100 kW, not 1. I found some 50's and 25's, but those are useless for a large EV, as I do not have hours to spend charging on the side of the road. There is one 150 kW EV Go station that is under construction, but in an area that is no help to me.
The point I was making is that EVGO is just now starting down the high power DFDC road, it is a 5 year plan for 2700 new chargers. This article clearly states 100-350KW chargers is the plan.

EA has been at it for 3 years an now have nearly 2000 CCS chargers, those are all at least 150KW. Their goal is to reach 3600 of those. Add 2700 new ones from EVGO and that would be over 5000.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The point I was making is that EVGO is just now starting down the high power DFDC road, it is a 5 year plan for 2700 new chargers. This article clearly states 100-350KW chargers is the plan.

EA has been at it for 3 years an now have nearly 2000 CCS chargers, those are all at least 150KW. Their goal is to reach 3600 of those. Add 2700 new ones from EVGO and that would be over 5000.
Ya, Gm is making an effort, but I would rather see them hook up with EA and give us, the customers the best experience they can. GM accepts good enough too often in their strategy instead of striving to be the best, that is frustrating to me. They are the opposite of Tesla... Tesla falls short often, but their ambitions are to be the best.

I wanted to add I just saw a demonstration of the Hummer Navigation system, and it does show EA stations, so at least they got that right.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wanted to add I just saw a demonstration of the Hummer Navigation system, and it does show EA stations, so at least they got that right.
I currently use the MyChevrolet App with my Bolt, and it already shows EA stations as well. They added this feature recently. It also show's EVGO, Charge Point, Greenlots and EV Connect. Arizona does not have any EV Connect or Greenlots stations, but I have used an EV connect in CA.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I currently use the MyChevrolet App with my Bolt, and it already shows EA stations as well. They added this feature recently. It also show's EVGO, Charge Point, Greenlots and EV Connect. Arizona does not have any EV Connect or Greenlots stations, but I have used an EV connect in CA.
Does the My Chevy app separate the stations into power rating? In Bolt it does not matter too much with the 55kW charging limit, but on the Hummer you will want to avoid stations below 150 kW as the time to charge will be too long at less powerful stations? Also does the My Chevy app show number of stations available at each location?

In my Tesla it shows superchargers and gives a tally of in use, and available, that is a very useful feature. Electrify America is also doing this to some degree on their app.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does the My Chevy app separate the stations into power rating? In Bolt it does not matter too much with the 55kW charging limit, but on the Hummer you will want to avoid stations below 150 kW as the time to charge will be too long at less powerful stations? Also does the My Chevy app show number of stations available at each location?

In my Tesla it shows superchargers and gives a tally of in use, and available, that is a very useful feature. Electrify America is also doing this to some degree on their app.
Currently it does not filter based on power level, only connector type, J1772 or CCS. You can also select which networks you do or do not want displayed. For some networks it does show real time status, for example Charge Point and EVGO, but for EA it is not shown yet. When you select on a location on the map, it does show the number of chargers and the power levels, this is for all networks.

I suspect by the time Hummer comes out they will add more features. Just as an example, in the latest update you can actually connect your Charge Point and EVGO accounts to the App and then make payment's and initiate charging from the Chevy App. And it provides route planning.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Currently it does not filter based on power level, only connector type, J1772 or CCS. You can also select which networks you do or do not want displayed. For some networks it does show real time status, for example Charge Point and EVGO, but for EA it is not shown yet. When you select on a location on the map, it does show the number of chargers and the power levels, this is for all networks.

I suspect by the time Hummer comes out they will add more features. Just as an example, in the latest update you can actually connect your Charge Point and EVGO accounts to the App and then make payment's and initiate charging from the Chevy App. And it provides route planning.
I think you are right, based on what I have seen, the Hummer will have a much more robust app, and better charging navigation than past GM products

I wonder if GM has enough confidence in their connectivity to give is a "summon" feature? Tesla does it, Hyundai and a few others are doing it now. Just the ability to back out of a tight parking spot would be awesome.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts