GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the sky panels off today for the first time and went for a ride down to the beach, Long Beach, NY, that is!
It was excellent and the truck looks great without the roof!
However, what a hassle to remove them place them in the storage boxes in the trunk, only to have to take them out and reinstall them 3 hours later when we got back home! Don’t get me wrong, there were no issues, it’s just a bit of a project, they are big, a bit awkward and made of glass, so afraid of breaking them! Not to mention fingerprints!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, they are lexan plastic. Shouldn't break if you drop them but it'll still scratch them up. Our weather in Michigan isn't super conducive to leaving them off all the time.
Oh they don’t crack from a drop…. Didn’t latch on the drivers side correctly flew off on the service road. Didn’t crack but heavy scratches and large chips of the glass broke off. Was also driving 70MPH when it flew off. It’s going to cost me $2k to get a replacement

·
Registered
443 Posts
Oh they don’t crack from a drop…. Didn’t latch on the drivers side correctly flew off on the service road. Didn’t crack but heavy scratches and large chips of the glass broke off. Was also driving 70MPH when it flew off. It’s going to cost me $2k to get a replacement
Damn that SUCKS. How have you been been liking yours so far? It has been a while since you have posted.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The weather in NY is not conducive to leaving them off either! They look and feel like glass, it’s good that they aren’t I guess!
The other issue is with the storage boxes they take up the entire trunk, it’s okay when the paneled are in them but for the next 6-8 months I don’t think I will be removing the panels, so I guess I will just clutter up my garage with the giant box…lol. Oh the problems us Hummer EV owners have!
I think the support this forum has is great!
Unlike the corvette forum….🤯

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,102 Posts
The weather in NY is not conducive to leaving them off either! They look and feel like glass, it’s good that they aren’t I guess!
The other issue is with the storage boxes they take up the entire trunk, it’s okay when the paneled are in them but for the next 6-8 months I don’t think I will be removing the panels, so I guess I will just clutter up my garage with the giant box…lol. Oh the problems us Hummer EV owners have!
I think the support this forum has is great!
Unlike the corvette forum….🤯
I'm really curious how other people are going to feel about having 4 wheel steering once the roads start getting slick again. It felt dangerous to me, made it way too easy to have the rear of the truck kick out. It probably doesn't help with the weight of the truck.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,576 Posts
I'm really curious how other people are going to feel about having 4 wheel steering once the roads start getting slick again. It felt dangerous to me, made it way too easy to have the rear of the truck kick out. It probably doesn't help with the weight of the truck.
That's why 4 wheel steering has an auto and an off option for situations where you feel you don't need or want it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Though 4 wheel steering used right can help you regain control faster if you start to lose traction.
My brain was too confused by the feeling of the ass end having it's own mind to be able to discern that point. Probably just something that would come with more practice though.

I can't wait to get the winter tires on my Rivian and some snow on the ground so I can get a feel for how it's going to handle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
any lessons learned you can share on knowing if its attached properly? your story sounds like something that would happen to me...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
any lessons learned you can share on knowing if its attached properly? your story sounds like something that would happen to me...
It's possible to close the lever above the latching position, but IMO if you're paying attention, it's immediately obvious. The less obvious part is just forgetting to close the latching lever.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's possible to close the lever above the latching position, but IMO if you're paying attention, it's immediately obvious. The less obvious part is just forgetting to close the latching lever.
Lesson I learned that day….Make sure you close the latch even if you are in a rush because it started raining while your cruising with the panels off. Pics to show the damage once again I was traveling 70 mph when it flew off. It was simply because I forgot to close the front latch

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Damn that SUCKS. How have you been been liking yours so far? It has been a while since you have posted.
Yea haven’t been on here in a while. Been traveling a lot and honestly I do this every time I’m waiting for a new car. I constantly check the forums while waiting as soon as I take delivery I go away for a while. But it’s honestly one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned. I’ll update one of my old post with my opinion on it soon

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have gotten pretty quick at taking on and off (it rains on a sunny days here in FL). Having owned some Jeeps with Freedom Panels - The hummer panels ARE SO MUCH LIGHTER. Way easier to lock into place. And I LOVE that the bags are NOT made by some Italian tailor. There is plenty of room to easily place the panel in and zip it up. I also love how the designers thought to position in the hump in the Frunk to easily stack the roof panels. Honestly it's all around brilliant design in my opinion. 4 half doors with 4 t-tops. Though my I-beam did leak like a sieve. The dealer just swapped it out for the re-designed one and its now water tight.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have gotten pretty quick at taking on and off (it rains on a sunny days here in FL). Having owned some Jeeps with Freedom Panels - The hummer panels ARE SO MUCH LIGHTER. Way easier to lock into place. And I LOVE that the bags are NOT made by some Italian tailor. There is plenty of room to easily place the panel in and zip it up. I also love how the designers thought to position in the hump in the Frunk to easily stack the roof panels. Honestly it's all around brilliant design in my opinion. 4 half doors with 4 t-tops. Though my I-beam did leak like a sieve. The dealer just swapped it out for the re-designed one and its now water tight.
It leaked? did you have an early build? I wonder if mine has the updated I-Beam? September Build.
Also I bought the sky panel boxes, super secure, a little bulky but very secure!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It leaked? did you have an early build? I wonder if mine has the updated I-Beam? September Build.
Also I bought the sky panel boxes, super secure, a little bulky but very secure!
On 5/17 I got my build complete email, so that seems like an early build. I do know the I-beam leaking is a known issue, talked about on this forum, that is being fixed under the "Customer Satisfaction Program". They overnighted the redesigned part to the dealership once I brought it up. So they are re-acting quite quickly to issues.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My 1/22 build leaked from the I-Beam for the first time after I already sold it. Guessing I probably installed it backwards after taking it out for photos. Was fine before that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts