GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It remains to be seen what the charging rate will be for the Cybertruck. I think you are comparing apples to oranges, car versus a truck. Reports from a couple of Rivian owners indicate 187kW peak rate. Tesla is able to charge at 250kW because they are pushing 625A through a very short cable. Ford is also targeting the Lightning to be 400V and only 150kW charging. At least the new Sierra/Silverado are also supposed to be 800V and they will be more efficient than the Hummer.

How about comparing the Tesla charging rates to Lucid or the new Hyundai's.
Going back to the discussion, Hummer Ev charging curve remains to be seen, but the Hummers, massive lack of efficiency will not help things, it looks like it will be more expensive than a diesel on a road trip.

Tesla recent Model S charges comparable to a Lucid, just sightly slower in miles per minute, but faster than Taycan, and the Hyundai models.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Bronco is not fullsize. Its based on the midsize Ranger.

Its closest competitors are the F150 Raptor and Ram TRX.

F150 Raptor
Payload: 1400 lbs
Towing: 8200 lbs

Ram TRX
Payload: 1400 lbs
Towing: 8100 lbs
Just like to point out for the Raptor that's its rating with little to no options.
If you max out its options it can tow as little as 6,000 lbs and only have 900 lbs of payload.

As we know the Hummer EV1 is fully optioned.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bumper

·
Registered
179 Posts
Going back to the discussion, Hummer Ev charging curve remains to be seen, but the Hummers, massive lack of efficiency will not help things, it looks like it will be more expensive than a diesel on a road trip.

Tesla recent Model S charges comparable to a Lucid, just sightly slower in miles per minute, but faster than Taycan, and the Hyundai models.
Tom I’m not very familiar with charge rates. To me a 300 mile EV is a 300 mile EV. How much are you thinking the Hummer will cost to charge when not at home? If I currently have an 18mpg car and pay $3.50 a gallon for gas it would cost me about $58 to drive the car for 300 miles. Do you think the Hummer will cost about $58 per charge? For some other EVs around that range wouldn’t they be just as innefficient?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tom I’m not very familiar with charge rates. To me a 300 mile EV is a 300 mile EV. How much are you thinking the Hummer will cost to charge when not at home? If I currently have an 18mpg car and pay $3.50 a gallon for gas it would cost me about $58 to drive the car for 300 miles. Do you think the Hummer will cost about $58 per charge? For some other EVs around that range wouldn’t they be just as innefficient?
Depends on the charger, some cost per kWh while others cost per time spent charging.
Have to see what the networks around you cost.

As an example here are EVGO's prices: EV Charging Costs: Pricing and Plan for EV Charging

Select your region in the above link.

Also it's best practice to charge between 20% to 80% during your stops as it's much faster and you don't always need to charge up to 100% unless you are starting a trip.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Depending on the electricity cost where you live, will vary what it costs to charge at home. I live in the land of cheap electricity, 10 cents per kWh, so for me assuming the Hummer Ev is empty, 200 kWh plus 10% for charging losses, an at home charge $22, charging on a DC fast charger on a road trip using Electrify America as an example is .43, per KWh, or .31 if you have a monthly paid subscription, so for most people .43. DC charging also has a higher charging loss rate as more heat is generated, so let's use 15% which is about average, so the charge will cost you $99, as a non member, or $71 as a paid subscription member. Remember though the 329 miles is in mixed driving per the EPA cycle (avg 48 mph) so highway at 70MPH will yield much higher consumption in a aerodynamically challenged vehicle like the HummerEV, I think at 70 mph you 275 miles would be a more likely target, and at 80 mph, 200 miles would be a stretch.

This will be interesting when we get some real data on the Hummer's highway range, I expect we will see a much higher drop-off than other vehicles as speed increases due to increased aerodynamic drag of the vehicle compared to other EV's.

Another thing to note, is GM not EPA certifying the Hummer, I guess they are embarrassed abut the numbers because the EPA also gives drivetrain efficiency numbers, as well as highway and city loop split, and charging losses. EPA calculates their final number on power from the plug required to complete the loop. This confused many people on the Rivian numbers.

My comparison is my diesel pickup 2020 GMC Denali 2500HD, which carries 36 gallons of fuel, and cross country on a road trip, will pull 22mpg at 70 mph. I have seen as low at 20.5, and as high as 25.2, calculated, not trusting GM's instrumentation. TFLT tested them in 2019, and averaged about he same.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Depends on the charger, some cost per kWh while others cost per time spent charging.
Have to see what the networks around you cost.

As an example here are EVGO's prices: EV Charging Costs: Pricing and Plan for EV Charging

Select your region in the above link.

Also it's best practice to charge between 20% to 80% during your stops as it's much faster and you don't always need to charge up to 100% unless you are starting a trip.
You are partially correct, you want to arrive at your DC charger with as low a state of charge as you dare, I typically shoot for around 10%, in all EV's other then E-Tron this matters because the charging curve is much higher as the bottom of the pack. Every EV is slightly different for this strategy, but if you are really trying to make the best trip time, you are going to run it much lower, arriving at charging stops at 5% or less and charging to 50%, then move on to the next charger. In The Hummer EV 20-80% would only net you 60% or about 150 miles at highway speed, and 20-80% will not net the best charging speed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Charging in my area is typically .25/kWH to .12/kWh. Charging the Mach-e from 10 to 80%typically costs about 22 bucks given it’s only 68kWh battery I figure the HEV is gonna cost around 60-80 per fill up at a dc charger.
Considering gas just jumped to 5.40/gal for premium here in the Sf Bay Area if I still had the Sierra AT4 with a 24 gallon tank that would cost me 110-130 bucks by per fill up. Not really saving a lot with this vehicle but I don’t think saving money is the intent with over a 100k vehicle. I’m hoping with a solar upgrade for the house that will offset my DC charging costs as I almost exclusively charge at DC fast chargers because charging on 110 takes forever!!!

also consider the fact that maintenance on an EV should be much lower than an ice vehicle. Of course we’ll see how that all pans out on the GM side of things.

let’s be real that we’re not getting the hummer for economy reasons. I get it the Mach-E is comparing apples to oranges but for the price I think paying 60-90 bucks for a fill up is fair. Not ideal but again hummers aren’t known to be economic nor were they ever designed to be. I know this thing is going to eat lightning for breakfast and shit torque and I’m ok with that!!!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts