GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that are getting the Hummer EV and it will be your first EV, save yourself some last minute stress and plan early to install your home charging. Do your homework and select the right wall box for your needs, and check with your local utility for rebates, in the area I live there was $500 rebate on the purchase of the wall box, and if you are doing a new install I recommend the Charge Point Home Flex (hard wired version so you can pull 48 Amps) The Hummer EV will be a thirsty beast, so want to have capability to charge as fast as your home electrical system will allow.

I definitely recommend checking reviews online, and especially following Tom Moloughney on youtube, as he has a ton of experience and has tried them all.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
125 Posts
I have the Charge Point Home Flex and it works great. Mine is not hardwired, so I set it to 40A. I also have an older Blink unit is my RV garage, just as a backup. I am thinking about getting a second Home Flex unit for that garage. Have one EV now with two on order, so I may end up with 3 at one time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Charge Point Home Flex and it works great. Mine is not hardwired, so I set it to 40A. I also have an older Blink unit is my RV garage, just as a backup. I am thinking about getting a second Home Flex unit for that garage. Have one EV now with two on order, so I may end up with 3 at one time.
We have 2 EV's now and the Hummer EV on order, I see no problem surviving with 1 wall box for most families, as we do not charge every day anyway, we are rotating usually plugging in when the cars get to + or - 30% SOC, or if we have a road trip planned.

Which older Blink unit did you have? Did you have the big monster that is about 20" square?

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
125 Posts
Which older Blink unit did you have? Did you have the big monster that is about 20" square?
Yes that big ugly one, got it for 100 bucks under government subsidy back in 2013. When Obama raised my taxes I went out and got a Volt in December of that year just to offset the increase. The government offered a free charger, just had to pay a small fee to have it installed. It still charges but the touch screen does not work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For those that are getting the Hummer EV and it will be your first EV, save yourself some last minute stress and plan early to install your home charging. Do your homework and select the right wall box for your needs, and check with your local utility for rebates, in the area I live there was $500 rebate on the purchase of the wall box, and if you are doing a new install I recommend the Charge Point Home Flex (hard wired version so you can pull 48 Amps) The Hummer EV will be a thirsty beast, so want to have capability to charge as fast as your home electrical system will allow.

I definitely recommend checking reviews online, and especially following Tom Moloughney on youtube, as he has a ton of experience and has tried them all.

What is your view on potential advances in technology within the next few years? I mentioned in a separate thread my plan to buy the Charge Point and completely agree with planning ahead, but curious of folks’ thoughts on whether the current systems could be outdated within the next few years. Maybe that’s not a major concern given we know the Hummer EV’s battery/charging capabilities already?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is your view on potential advances in technology within the next few years? I mentioned in a separate thread my plan to buy the Charge Point and completely agree with planning ahead, but curious of folks’ thoughts on whether the current systems could be outdated within the next few years. Maybe that’s not a major concern given we know the Hummer EV’s battery/charging capabilities already?
I do not exactly understand your question, but if I am hearing what you are saying, you are asking about home charging tech advancing?

If so, there is noting to worry about as the wall box technology is not changing fast, now the phone app used to monitor it are changing, so if you buy from any of the large smart wall box manufactures (charge point ,juice box, etc...) the app will update over time, but most of these functions are not needed unless you have some specific concern? I have had EV's for 9 years and after the first month with new equipment I do not even look at the app anymore. Also the limit on rates of charge are usually your utility side electrical service, most homes utility side electrical service is already taxed heavily with an 11 kW charger. Cadillac is installing at 19 kW AC charger in the Lyriq, but I am not sure that is nessassary for homes to charge at that rate, as the utility side of your system would likely have to be upgraded to supply that much current. Most subdivision homes that are gas heated share a 25kW utility side transformer between 4 or 8 homes, So if home owners start pulling 19kW just for their car charger, the utility company is going to have to upgrade their system which can be very expensive . Tesla used to install 2 chargers in the Model S to get faster A/C charging rates, but it usually turned out to be a hassle for owners to upgrade the home service for that much charging power at home, so Tesla cut that option.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes that big ugly one, got it for 100 bucks under government subsidy back in 2013. When Obama raised my taxes I went out and got a Volt in December of that year just to offset the increase. The government offered a free charger, just had to pay a small fee to have it installed. It still charges but the touch screen does not work.
Bingo, I had the same wall box when I started, and likewise the screen does not work on mine either. I got mine for Free when I bought he Chevy Volt in 2012, and still have it although it's not in use. My brother was going to buy a Bolt last year and I planned to give it to him, but he did not go through with the Bolt purchase so its still collecting dust in my shop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do not exactly understand your question, but if I am hearing what you are saying, you are asking about home charging tech advancing?

If so, there is noting to worry about as the wall box technology is not changing fast, now the phone app used to monitor it are changing, so if you buy from any of the large smart wall box manufactures (charge point ,juice box, etc...) the app will update over time, but most of these functions are not needed unless you have some specific concern? I have had EV's for 9 years and after the first month with new equipment I do not even look at the app anymore. Also the limit on rates of charge are usually your utility side electrical service, most homes utility side electrical service is already taxed heavily with an 11 kW charger. Cadillac is installing at 19 kW AC charger in the Lyriq, but I am not sure that is nessassary for homes to charge at that rate, as the utility side of your system would likely have to be upgraded to supply that much current. Most subdivision homes that are gas heated share a 25kW utility side transformer between 4 or 8 homes, So if home owners start pulling 19kW just for their car charger, the utility company is going to have to upgrade their system which can be very expensive . Tesla used to install 2 chargers in the Model S to get faster A/C charging rates, but it usually turned out to be a hassle for owners to upgrade the home service for that much charging power at home, so Tesla cut that option.
Thanks, yes, I was specifically asking about hardware. Understand the software can be updated fairly easily but the hardware likely can’t short of buying the next model. If I’m hearing you right, it sounds like that shouldn’t be an issue since most will be limited by their own utilities and the current models already max out those utilities. Makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts