GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
21 - 40 of 155 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
I have the unique experience of being able to see the line where the battery packs are made. The pack halves are all pressure tested to ensure they won't have any leaks when assembled. There was some concern about the sealing area between the two parts of the pack where laser welded panels overlap potentially leading to leaks down the line if the sealer wasn't done just right. Normally with sealing surfaces, you want a continuous piece of metal to seal against but these packs are so big they couldn't do it this way.

I have no insight into if this is what the actual problem is though, it's just my assumption after having seen the processes involved.
So, as a fix, are we talking having to drop the pack and hand sealing at dealerships with the halves in situ or is this a "return the pack to the factory and have them reseal and press?"

From a legal perspective it seems like they'd just ship out new packs to dealers, ship the defective packs back to the factory for refurb.

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,210 Posts
So, as a fix, are we talking having to drop the pack and hand sealing at dealerships with the halves in situ or is this a "return the pack to the factory and have them reseal and press?"

From a legal perspective it seems like they'd just ship out new packs to dealers, ship the defective packs back to the factory for refurb.
I have no idea if they can acceptably fix it if that's what the issue is.

· Super Moderator
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,684 Posts
The important bit:

The issue comes from the EVs' battery packs. According to the defect report filed with NHTSA, certain flanges on these battery packs "may not have been properly primed or electrocoated," which could prevent the packs' urethane sealant from adhering correctly. This in turn could allow water to enter the battery pack, causing a malfunction. If this were to happen, the driver would likely receive a series of malfunction indicators on the gauge cluster and the vehicle might not start.

GM discovered this issue after receiving two field reports, in addition to an internal report regarding one of the automaker's own test vehicles. After inspecting the vehicles in question, GM found the potential defect and decided to initiate a voluntary safety recall. As of the time of publication, GM does not have a proper fix in place and is still working to develop a permanent remedy. The supplier in charge of its battery packs has already fixed the issue on its assembly line. Owners will be notified starting in late November, but dealers should have already received information from GM regarding this recall.

· Registered
370 Posts
The important bit:

The issue comes from the EVs' battery packs. According to the defect report filed with NHTSA, certain flanges on these battery packs "may not have been properly primed or electrocoated," which could prevent the packs' urethane sealant from adhering correctly. This in turn could allow water to enter the battery pack, causing a malfunction. If this were to happen, the driver would likely receive a series of malfunction indicators on the gauge cluster and the vehicle might not start.

GM discovered this issue after receiving two field reports, in addition to an internal report regarding one of the automaker's own test vehicles. After inspecting the vehicles in question, GM found the potential defect and decided to initiate a voluntary safety recall. As of the time of publication, GM does not have a proper fix in place and is still working to develop a permanent remedy. The supplier in charge of its battery packs has already fixed the issue on its assembly line. Owners will be notified starting in late November, but dealers should have already received information from GM regarding this recall.
Apparently it's not just the Hummer affected. Those BrightDrop vans GM makes are part of this as well.

· Super Moderator
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,684 Posts
Apparently it's not just the Hummer affected. Those BrightDrop vans GM makes are part of this as well.
Same pack between the two vehicles.

· Registered
2014 ELR, 2018 CT6 PHEV, 2022 HEV1
159 Posts
Recall showing for me now. Details:
View attachment 3503
Timing is everything. I am trying to decide if you or I are luckier. My truck shipped on 10/13 in the afternoon and arrived at my dealer on 10/14 on stop sale which was issued in the evening of 10/13. I am assuming that you are not testing the 32" of water driving. :)

· Registered
159 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
PCMag seems to have the best article: GMC to Recall Hummer EVs After Reports of Water Leaking Into Battery Pack

Be sure to look at the PDFs in the timeline of the article. This is from one of the imbedded NHSTA documents:

Description of Remedy : Description of Remedy Program :GM is working to develop a remedy for this condition. Pursuant to 49 C.F.R. § 573.13(d)(1), all covered vehicles are under warranty, so reimbursement is not offered.

How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component : NR

Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production : Containment efforts to address undercured electrocoating were initiated at GM’s assembly plant and GM’s supplier on July 21, 2022.

Corrections to the urethane seal repair procedure were implemented at GM’s supplier on August 10, 2022.

I know that my vehicle was produced after August 10th. Hoping for more progress.

· Registered
360 Posts
I would assume they'll make a distinction between pre-fix and post-fix battery pack equipped trucks and continue sales of unaffected vehicles once they nail down exactly when the new packs starting going in builds (assuming they didn't get mixed and comingle with defective packs at the factory). I'd also assume the know the serial number of which pack went in which VIN.

21 - 40 of 155 Posts