GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
I have the unique experience of being able to see the line where the battery packs are made. The pack halves are all pressure tested to ensure they won't have any leaks when assembled. There was some concern about the sealing area between the two parts of the pack where laser welded panels overlap potentially leading to leaks down the line if the sealer wasn't done just right. Normally with sealing surfaces, you want a continuous piece of metal to seal against but these packs are so big they couldn't do it this way.

I have no insight into if this is what the actual problem is though, it's just my assumption after having seen the processes involved.
So, as a fix, are we talking having to drop the pack and hand sealing at dealerships with the halves in situ or is this a "return the pack to the factory and have them reseal and press?"

From a legal perspective it seems like they'd just ship out new packs to dealers, ship the defective packs back to the factory for refurb.

· Registered
360 Posts
I would assume they'll make a distinction between pre-fix and post-fix battery pack equipped trucks and continue sales of unaffected vehicles once they nail down exactly when the new packs starting going in builds (assuming they didn't get mixed and comingle with defective packs at the factory). I'd also assume the know the serial number of which pack went in which VIN.

· Registered
360 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about fire, water intrusion is primarily a concern for creating a short, ruining cells, etc. The point of the recall is to correct the problem before it becomes a problem, at large. There are LOT of moving parts with a recall. Reproducing the problem, isolating the cause, coming up with a remedy, the logistics of rolling out a fix, the technical documentation to go along with it, warranty implications, etc. GM HAS to get it right because stumbling on their Flagship EV is not an option, so anyone under stop sale should probably at least prepare themselves for a months long wait. At least if they solve it faster, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

· Registered
360 Posts
Nope. My understanding is that all Hummers are on stop sale. Regardless of VIN/Year
I meant before the stop sale. If 2023's started production in July it would be "surprising" (not surprising) if none had been delivered in the three months before the stop sale.

I was unsure if anyone had taken delivery of a 2023 by early October. I guess it will forever remain a mystery why it takes 3+ months for "completed" trucks to make it from the factory to dealerships.

· Registered
360 Posts
I'm not sure 2023s all started in July. Besides my June build, an August build also showed up same time ans was a 22
I guess the only explanation that both 2023's started production in July and 2022's were completing production in August and being delivered in October is that it just takes 2-3 months to "build" a Hummer EV from start to complete, so the model year dates overlap while concurrently being built.. Is GM still shipping completed trucks to dealers during the stop-sale or are they just piling up in the factory parking lot?

· Registered
360 Posts
Their choices are ship new packs to dealers and refurb/recycle the old or have service departments reseal them. I know some people mentioned dealers already servicing Bolts, etc. but you don’t sell Bolts on their ability to ford water depths of 26-32 inches so they’re probably trying everything possible to avoid having to ship nearly a thousand 3000lb battery packs to and from dealers across the country before resigning themselves to that outcome. If they had settled on just having dealerships reseal them I feel like we’d already have heard that was the solution and that they’d already begun rectifying the problem but it’s been months since the issue arose and now over a month since the stop-sale. They might even take advantage of Factory Zero shutting down at the end of the month (presumably until 2023) to divert batteries to addressing the recall. I hate to be negative Nancy on here but I would be floored if anyone in here gets a 3X before May/June next year. Stop sale probably won’t be lifted until after new years when they’re either resealing existing packs or installing new ones. And either way, the rollout of fixed trucks will be glacial.

· Registered
360 Posts
I'm guessing batteries are piling up at the factory with it being closed for weeks. Curious to see if they go the "replace with new and refurbish the old) plan or let service department rectify the issue. It can't be an easy decision and with the long term PR possible PR hit of faulty executions of the fix on their flagship EV at dealers, who knows.

...and if I was into conspiracy theories AND knew they had decided on replacing the battery pack of every effected truck, then the thought might cross my mind that part of the reason for shutting production down was to divert battery supply to a fix. They announced the stop-sale a week after announcing the November factory shutdown and knew about the issue and presumably had already implemented a fix at the battery plant sometime between some trucks dying from water intrusion and announcing the issue. I guess they could have kept making trucks with battery packs they knew were bad just to keep things moving but you have to wonder if shutting the plant down for upgrades was also convenient in needing to swap out/repair bad packs and divert some for the recall.

· Registered
360 Posts
Heh, just hold back one part until Jan 1st and "voila" a 2023 produced vehicle. Like I said in another thread, they're always going to prioritize the Ed1s because it's becoming apparent that it's a beta/test program. Not necessarily intentional, they just have the benefit of hindsight and the ability to modify production schedules to minimize issues based on reports and usage from the small pool of delivered trucks in customer hands. Production of the truck was supposed to speed up aggressively the second half of 2022...but it never happened and instead they ended up pumping the brakes. I want to assume they ACTUALLY meant to be making closer to 1000+/month at the end of the year but slowed it down until the kinks got worked out. It's safe to assume that at least the Launch editions of each model will hit when they say, but anything after those first editions is a big shrug as to when they're coming. We're two weeks from the end of their "Fall '22" and as far as any of us know, they haven't even finalized the build guide for customers or begun to take their orders. One dealer will probably get what's technically a 3X to fulfill their obligation to that original date just like they built a handful of Ed1s last year. They could clear up A LOT of things, give reservation holders an update on windows production, the stop-sale, etc. with a couple paragraphs in a press release...but silence is apparently their choice of response to everything happening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts