GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,210 Posts
As some one with zero manufacturing experience, how does an issue like this occur? I know this vehicle was ambitious (both timeline and capabilities), but I also am led to believe they test everything, over-engineer and quality control the quality control. Does this happen because a late-in-the game change is made and people assume it's just as good as the original design? Or they knew the original design had risks but they thought they solved the issues based on earlier testing?
I know we are all purely speculating, but I'm still waiting for mine, so speculation is all I have.
I have the unique experience of being able to see the line where the battery packs are made. The pack halves are all pressure tested to ensure they won't have any leaks when assembled. There was some concern about the sealing area between the two parts of the pack where laser welded panels overlap potentially leading to leaks down the line if the sealer wasn't done just right. Normally with sealing surfaces, you want a continuous piece of metal to seal against but these packs are so big they couldn't do it this way.

I have no insight into if this is what the actual problem is though, it's just my assumption after having seen the processes involved.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
So, as a fix, are we talking having to drop the pack and hand sealing at dealerships with the halves in situ or is this a "return the pack to the factory and have them reseal and press?"

From a legal perspective it seems like they'd just ship out new packs to dealers, ship the defective packs back to the factory for refurb.
I have no idea if they can acceptably fix it if that's what the issue is.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
Got this email yesterday from GMC. I thought the interesting part is they just say don't drive the vehicle through water over 24" deep. Makes me feel a little better about the whole situation.

View attachment 3609
Wonder if you'd get a "fix" quicker if you drove through 25" deep water.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
I was looking for more details or any updates this morning and I reread the main report to NHTSA. This stands out at the beginning of the report:

Population : Number of potentially involved : 824
Estimated percentage with defect : 1 %

8.24 vehicles are defective and we are in this situation?
1% was the number stated for the Bolt battery defects as well. I think it's just the lowest percentage they can state and they can't prove how many really are affected without inspection.

GM dicking me around for over a year on the Bolt issue made it an easy choice to sell the Hummer when I was having issues the dealer was dragging their feet on fixing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts