1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Super Moderator
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,684 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,684 Posts
The important bit:

The issue comes from the EVs' battery packs. According to the defect report filed with NHTSA, certain flanges on these battery packs "may not have been properly primed or electrocoated," which could prevent the packs' urethane sealant from adhering correctly. This in turn could allow water to enter the battery pack, causing a malfunction. If this were to happen, the driver would likely receive a series of malfunction indicators on the gauge cluster and the vehicle might not start.

GM discovered this issue after receiving two field reports, in addition to an internal report regarding one of the automaker's own test vehicles. After inspecting the vehicles in question, GM found the potential defect and decided to initiate a voluntary safety recall. As of the time of publication, GM does not have a proper fix in place and is still working to develop a permanent remedy. The supplier in charge of its battery packs has already fixed the issue on its assembly line. Owners will be notified starting in late November, but dealers should have already received information from GM regarding this recall.

· Super Moderator
1,684 Posts
Apparently it's not just the Hummer affected. Those BrightDrop vans GM makes are part of this as well.
Same pack between the two vehicles.

· Super Moderator
1,684 Posts
Late November was when GM was said to communicate the fix for owners.

· Super Moderator
1,684 Posts
power is cut so still in Drive, still able to coast, at least, however yeah.

· Super Moderator
1,684 Posts
What are you talking about 🤣 We're talking about a vehicle that has a known issue/recall/warning/whatever, nothing to do with age 🤣

Whoever is out there driving these vehicles with this warning is no real concern of mine; I'm just saying, if I had the Hummer right now with the warning message from GM, it would be parked until they fixed it... If that doesn't make sense to you, then o well...
It's going to be fine unless you want to drive through Lots of water.... even then only about 1% of the trucks are thought to be impacted.

Reactions: bpdamas

· Super Moderator
1,684 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,684 Posts
You want to talk about a mystery. I'm still waiting on a 2022 Yukon built back in March to ship here. I've since then delivered around 6 2023 Yukons. We are getting new model year vehicles ahead of our old ones now.
talk to your parts department? I've heard they sometimes get news about vehicles before anyone else... Like if a vehicle has issues PDI parts can be delayed to recalled.

Reactions: BigJonEV

· Super Moderator
1,684 Posts
I'm guessing batteries are piling up at the factory with it being closed for weeks. Curious to see if they go the "replace with new and refurbish the old) plan or let service department rectify the issue. It can't be an easy decision and with the long term PR possible PR hit of faulty executions of the fix on their flagship EV at dealers, who knows.
Batteries are going to Cami too and Spring Hill, they got places.

· Super Moderator
1,684 Posts
I was looking for more details or any updates this morning and I reread the main report to NHTSA. This stands out at the beginning of the report:

Population : Number of potentially involved : 824
Estimated percentage with defect : 1 %

8.24 vehicles are defective and we are in this situation?
They know cause and the likely number of the vehicles impacted.... but they can't be certain which were impacted. So they are going through the process of developing a plan to go through them all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts