GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is a very interesting article talking to GM Engineer Jay Kapadia designer for the AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alert System) sounds in current and future GM EVs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I will add however, the angel sound I hear is INSIDE the truck and I don't hear it on the outside. What I DO hear on the outside is this damned buzzing sound like a cicada everywhere I drive when I press the throttle. Anybody have any insight on this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
tire noise?
Not at all. As far as I can tell it's coming mostly from the rear, passenger side from underneath. Sounds exactly like a cicada buzzing. Starts to occur at speeds over 20 MPH(ish) and instantly stops if I let off the throttle. This noise continues as I accelerate until I can no longer hear it because of the outside wind noise drowning it out (+50 MPH(ish)). You can hear it better outside the truck than inside.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,091 Posts
Not at all. As far as I can tell it's coming mostly from the rear, passenger side from underneath. Sounds exactly like a cicada buzzing. Starts to occur at speeds over 20 MPH(ish) and instantly stops if I let off the throttle. This noise continues as I accelerate until I can no longer hear it because of the outside wind noise drowning it out (+50 MPH(ish)). You can hear it better outside the truck than inside.
Pedestrian alert noises stop after those speeds. Guessing you have something loose

·
Registered
62 Posts
Only thing I can think of is a bearing issue.
Does the sound change pitch when you turn?
No. It stops when I let off the throttle and starts again as soon as I apply. The sound never changes pitch, just volume. It's very noticable but only with the windows down and only at speeds between about 20 - 50 MPH. Any slower and the sound doesn't exist, any faster and the wind makes the noise hard to hear. People outside the truck can hear it clearly.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. It stops when I let off the throttle and starts again as soon as I apply. The sound never changes pitch, just volume. It's very noticable but only with the windows down and only at speeds between about 20 - 50 MPH. Any slower and the sound doesn't exist, any faster and the wind makes the noise hard to hear. People outside the truck can hear it clearly.
Still might be a bearing issue. I'd have it looked into.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts