GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
718 Posts
That is cool to see F35's, like most military programs started out pretty lumpy, but turning into a good airplane. They had an F35 in Seattle this year flying in formation with a P-51, was really cool.

Do you ever hear Sonic Boom's (the sound of freedom) down there? 2010 was my first time hearing them since the 1970's when I was spending a summer with family in Anaconda, MT (godforsaken place, to never visit again) Over there sonic booms several times a week, which I later found out was the standard test route for SR-71's out of Beale AFB on training flights, they would refuel over ID, and then climb and accelerate over MT
No sonic booms, although out in the training range they likely get them. We did have an F16 go boom just over a mile from my house in 2006. The engine came apart right after takeoff and the pilot got it lined with a farm field before punching out. The F35 with the P51 is from Luke, they also fly with an A10 and a P38 for shows. The P38 is the original Lightning.

I have base access, but am not allowed photos or videos of the flight line. My daughter works on base.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
946 Posts
Also FAA licensed drone pilot here, that's actually what I do for my business. if anyone's willing to fly me out (from Colorado), I'll get all the drone content your hearts can desire, LOL. Flying at/near airports is my specialty with coordinating with ATC.
Do we have to fly you back too?

·
Registered
112 Posts
The P38 is the original Lightning.
Do we have to fly you back too?
The last time I saw a P38 actually flying was at the Oshkosh EAA airshow. By far one of my favorite planes. That would have been quite a sight to see all of them flying together!

Ha! I'm sure I could make my way back. Actually looking at flights, because it really would be pretty neat to get some footage of Factory Zero. GM actually followed me on Instagram. I've been meaning to reach out to them and ask about an FPV fly through of one of their facilities like we've seen with what Tesla did.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
No sonic booms, although out in the training range they likely get them. We did have an F16 go boom just over a mile from my house in 2006. The engine came apart right after takeoff and the pilot got it lined with a farm field before punching out. The F35 with the P51 is from Luke, they also fly with an A10 and a P38 for shows. The P38 is the original Lightning.

I have base access, but am not allowed photos or videos of the flight line. My daughter works on base.
Ya I saw the P38 with the A-10 a couple years ago, super cool. I have a model P38, great flyer. I had a couple friends that were hog drivers in the first gulf war, they have a lot of great things to say about the airplane, its like the BWM iX, fantastic to drive, but don't look at it too much.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ya I saw the P38 with the A-10 a couple years ago, super cool. I have a model P38, great flyer. I had a couple friends that were hog drivers in the first gulf war, they have a lot of great things to say about the airplane, its like the BWM iX, fantastic to drive, but don't look at it too much.
Here is the original link to the F35 Heritage Flight team (2016 was the first year).

Also a photo from a more recent Heritage Flight, this one had 2 P51s and no A10.
Sky Vehicle Aircraft Monoplane Airplane

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
718 Posts
This is really appropriate for this EV forum, even though it is about aviation history. I got a special invite in March 2017 to witness the takeoff of the Solar Impulse from Goodyear airport. They charged it up in the sun during the day and took off at 2am. It has only one wheel, the tail is on a dolly and there are people holding up the wings on each side, they take turns holding it. During landing, two guys ride bicycles down the runway and catch the poles to keep it from tipping, the outer motors are turned off during landing. Max speed is 35mph.

Aircraft Airplane Sky Aerospace manufacturer Aviation
Aircraft Airplane Aviation Air travel Aerospace manufacturer

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This is really appropriate for this EV forum, even though it is about aviation history. I got a special invite in March 2017 to witness the takeoff of the Solar Impulse from Goodyear airport. They charged it up in the sun during the day and took off at 2am. It has only one wheel, the tail is on a dolly and there are people holding up the wings on each side, they take turns holding it. During landing, two guys ride bicycles down the runway and catch the poles to keep it from tipping, the outer motors are turned off during landing. Max speed is 35mph.

View attachment 3106 View attachment 3107
Wow, that is cool...

·
Registered
718 Posts
EVGO just added a more generic way to set up Autocharge, I now have it working on my Mach E, as well as the Bolt. This link has a list of the vehicles now supported, looks like none of the VW group vehicles are on the list.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
946 Posts
EVGO just added a more generic way to set up Autocharge, I now have it working on my Mach E, as well as the Bolt. This link has a list of the vehicles now supported, looks like none of the VW group vehicles are on the list.

Earlier in the week I tried to sign up my polestar 2 but was getting an unknown error. Today it says it candy find the VIN. I don't think I have ever charged it on EVGo, wondering if their network has to register the MAC before it'll work.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Here are the step by step instructions: Autocharge | EVgo | Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations - EV Fast Chargers

You have to start enrolment, follow the menu and plugin to a CCS within 60 seconds so it can register the vehicle.
The first site where I tried to activate it did not work, it would not let me select a charger at that site. I went to an older site and got it to activate. When I put in the Vin for my Mach E, that worked fine and it then told me pending in the app.

EVGO support told me some sites are not yet supporting activating it, but my Bolt had used the auto charge at the site where I could not activate my Mach E.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,331 Posts
The first site where I tried to activate it did not work, it would not let me select a charger at that site. I went to an older site and got it to activate. When I put in the Vin for my Mach E, that worked fine and it then told me pending in the app.

EVGO support told me some sites are not yet supporting activating it, but my Bolt had used the auto charge at the site where I could not activate my Mach E.
Because GM has a different way of activating it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Earlier in the week I tried to sign up my polestar 2 but was getting an unknown error. Today it says it candy find the VIN. I don't think I have ever charged it on EVGo, wondering if their network has to register the MAC before it'll work.
The way you activate it, by selecting the charger, then plugging in, means they are reading the MAC address from the car at that time to link it to your account. For GM, they send that info to EVGO.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts