GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
268 Posts
I don't think it is a high enough capacity to really use it for anything. You probably risk burning it up. It's definitely there and you can hear it running if you change suspension levels a lot.

I am curious how long extract mode will take to enter, there's a lot of air volume that needs to be made up.
Yeah and the similarly "off roady" (to use @Calvin2518 's phrase) Defender 110 and Rivian, for example, similarly don't use the air suspension compressor for their built in compressors, instead having a standalone pump in the cargo bay so far as I know. They're not intended for the duty cycle of filling 35" tires from 15-40 PSI (even the smaller aftermarket compressors would need a break to fill a couple tires since they have ~15 minute duty cycles).

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't think it is a high enough capacity to really use it for anything. You probably risk burning it up. It's definitely there and you can hear it running if you change suspension levels a lot.

I am curious how long extract mode will take to enter, there's a lot of air volume that needs to be made up.
Thank you for the insight! Kind of a bummer to hear on the Hummer. You'll have to let us know how the air suspension, compressor, etc. work on the R1T!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah and the similarly "off roady" (to use @Calvin2518 's phrase) Defender 110 and Rivian, for example, similarly don't use the air suspension compressor for their built in compressors, instead having a standalone pump in the cargo bay so far as I know. They're not intended for the duty cycle of filling 35" tires from 15-40 PSI (even the smaller aftermarket compressors would need a break to fill a couple tires since they have ~15 minute duty cycles).
That is a great point. I really like the idea of just having a high powered 120v outlet in the truck. I have a pretty heavy duty air compressor at home that I'll probably secure in the bed during off roading excursions. With the beefy suspension on the Hummer, though, as well as the 35s - airing down may not be extremely needed on the kind of Colorado trails that the Hummer will even be able to fit on.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Thank you for the insight! Kind of a bummer to hear on the Hummer. You'll have to let us know how the air suspension, compressor, etc. work on the R1T!
Suspension fills a lot faster in the R1T. I have no way of comparing or measuring volume of air involved though. I haven't used the compressor to fill anything yet, but might try tonight to use it to check/fill all the tires on my other cars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Suspension fills a lot faster in the R1T. I have no way of comparing or measuring volume of air involved though. I haven't used the compressor to fill anything yet, but might try tonight to use it to check/fill all the tires on my other cars.
So it looks like you took delivery of the Rivian as planned. How does it compare? Sorry if you posted this somewhere else but I couldn't find that string again. I'm sure you are the first with both. I took delivery of the Rivian March 15th and just received notice yesterday that my Hummer is built and will ship shortly so maybe I will be the 2nd :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
So it looks like you took delivery of the Rivian as planned. How does it compare? Sorry if you posted this somewhere else but I couldn't find that string again. I'm sure you are the first with both. I took delivery of the Rivian March 15th and just received notice yesterday that my Hummer is built and will ship shortly so maybe I will be the 2nd :)
I've been wanting to do a big writeup but haven't had a lot of time. Still need to do a writeup about our road trip too.

Basically comes down to that the Rivian feels a lot more like a sportscar, the hummer more like a truck. Of course, the Rivian also feels like it's on rails in comparison. No goofy launch antics. Incredibly well done traction control/torque vectoring. Full power available whenever your foot is on the accelerator. I got mine with the 22" wheels, because I figured it would be more my style. So far I was very right. Ride isn't quite as smooth, but it's way more responsive and has undeniably better on-road traction than the off-road tires on the hummer. I'm interested to try out the 20" AT tires on the Rivian and see how they compare.

The trucks drive so drastically different that I would consider keeping both of them if my driveway wasn't overwhelmed with vehicles right now.

If you like driving trucks, the Hummer absolutely is a great choice. I'm historically more into sportscars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Rivian's air suspension is pretty quick and changes levels manually or automatically depending on what setting you have it on. I think the lowest is 6.5" and the max is 15". The Rivian's suspension is really stiff in my opinion, even on the soft setting. The stiff setting is more harsh than my sports cars which I am really surprised about. I think they should have done soft, medium, and still and have the current soft set at the medium rate. I have not used the on board air compressor yet other than to fiddle with it a bit but it seems just like a standard compressor. It has a digital readout that you can adjust in 1 psi increments to fill tires, blow up's, etc. and will automatically shut off at the set psi which is pretty sweet. It also has two 110v plugs in the bed across from the compressor, another 110 and 12v in the gear tunnel, one on each side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been wanting to do a big writeup but haven't had a lot of time. Still need to do a writeup about our road trip too.

Basically comes down to that the Rivian feels a lot more like a sportscar, the hummer more like a truck. Of course, the Rivian also feels like it's on rails in comparison. No goofy launch antics. Incredibly well done traction control/torque vectoring. Full power available whenever your foot is on the accelerator. I got mine with the 22" wheels, because I figured it would be more my style. So far I was very right. Ride isn't quite as smooth, but it's way more responsive and has undeniably better on-road traction than the off-road tires on the hummer. I'm interested to try out the 20" AT tires on the Rivian and see how they compare.

The trucks drive so drastically different that I would consider keeping both of them if my driveway wasn't overwhelmed with vehicles right now.
I have the 20" with the all terrains and the launches are still incredibly fast and the truck still handles really well. I have had the all terrains squeal pretty good hustling the truck around a corner though which I'm sure the street tires would not do. The hydraulic sway control they did works awesome as the truck corners almost flat which is very strange to experience. Overall I'm really impressed with the handling but as I just commented, the ride is really stiff and I think they should have added a softer mode as I think it will turn off a lot of buyers. I have a few sports cars so I don't really mind but it's not that kind of vehicle so I would think it would have a softer mode.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I have the 20" with the all terrains and the launches are still incredibly fast and the truck still handles really well. I have had the all terrains squeal pretty good hustling the truck around a corner though which I'm sure the street tires would not do. The hydraulic sway control they did works awesome as the truck corners almost flat which is very strange to experience. Overall I'm really impressed with the handling but as I just commented, the ride is really stiff and I think they should have added a softer mode as I think it will turn off a lot of buyers. I have a few sports cars so I don't really mind but it's not that kind of vehicle so I would think it would have a softer mode.
I got brave today and completely stepped on the throttle at a perpendicular stop to getting on a freeway. It was obvious the truck was fighting for traction but it was still soo quick and mostly kept the truck pointed where I was pointing it. Doing that in the Hummer is a snoozefest until you can get the wheel straightened out. Doing that in the corvette or camaro and you'd be likely be spinning out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Rivian's air suspension is pretty quick and changes levels manually or automatically depending on what setting you have it on. I think the lowest is 6.5" and the max is 15". The Rivian's suspension is really stiff in my opinion, even on the soft setting. The stiff setting is more harsh than my sports cars which I am really surprised about. I think they should have done soft, medium, and still and have the current soft set at the medium rate. I have not used the on board air compressor yet other than to fiddle with it a bit but it seems just like a standard compressor. It has a digital readout that you can adjust in 1 psi increments to fill tires, blow up's, etc. and will automatically shut off at the set psi which is pretty sweet. It also has two 110v plugs in the bed across from the compressor, another 110 and 12v in the gear tunnel, one on each side.
Thank you for the information!! It's really nice getting comparisons from you guys on both.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got brave today and completely stepped on the throttle at a perpendicular stop to getting on a freeway. It was obvious the truck was fighting for traction but it was still soo quick and mostly kept the truck pointed where I was pointing it. Doing that in the Hummer is a snoozefest until you can get the wheel straightened out. Doing that in the corvette or camaro and you'd be likely be spinning out.
That is brave... and pretty cool that the software can handle that without the truck having an incident. I'm not sure I'm keeping the Rivian so have been trying to not do anything too crazy so that it still looks brand new if I sell so have not tried anything too extreme. I am not too impressed with the driver+ function either. It's not really my thing to want automated driving as I feel that if I have to pay attention, I might as well drive myself. The Driver+ only works on freeways and seems to do a pretty good job of staying in the lane without hunting around and keeping speed/distance to cars around but you have to keep your hands on the wheel and on a few occasions here in So Cal, where the freeway lanes don't line up with the concrete joints, the truck has flashed a warning saying it can't read lane markers and makes you take over. Overall it's a function I just won't use. I also just received a notice from Rivian than a birdseye camera view is now available and also that tire pressure monitoring can be shown on the dash which was lacking before so nice to see they are actively updating the software.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
That is brave... and pretty cool that the software can handle that without the truck having an incident. I'm not sure I'm keeping the Rivian so have been trying to not do anything too crazy so that it still looks brand new if I sell so have not tried anything too extreme. I am not too impressed with the driver+ function either. It's not really my thing to want automated driving as I feel that if I have to pay attention, I might as well drive myself. The Driver+ only works on freeways and seems to do a pretty good job of staying in the lane without hunting around and keeping speed/distance to cars around but you have to keep your hands on the wheel and on a few occasions here in So Cal, where the freeway lanes don't line up with the concrete joints, the truck has flashed a warning saying it can't read lane markers and makes you take over. Overall it's a function I just won't use. I also just received a notice from Rivian than a birdseye camera view is now available and also that tire pressure monitoring can be shown on the dash which was lacking before so nice to see they are actively updating the software.
My first drive was without really bothering to run through how everything in the truck worked. Started raining and I turned cruise control on thinking it'd flick the wipers once, since all my other vehicles use that stalk for it. "Well now I don't know how the hell to turn off cruise and I can't see because the windshield is covered in rain". Fun times.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My first drive was without really bothering to run through how everything in the truck worked. Started raining and I turned cruise control on thinking it'd flick the wipers once, since all my other vehicles use that stalk for it. "Well now I don't know how the hell to turn off cruise and I can't see because the windshield is covered in rain". Fun times.
Haha, I did the same thing in the rain trying to figure out how to turn on the wipers. Pretty weird trying to figure out a "new" car when they have all been pretty much the same to operate over the last 35 years of driving. Even trying to adjust the steering wheel and mirrors takes a few stabs of the right buttons in the touch screens. I wish they would have a few physical buttons for actions like those. One of the really cool things I saw that GM did with the Hummer is that the same buttons under the screen function differently depending on which screen you are in. Great way to not have too many physical buttons but still have multiple operations done with them.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts