GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a reservation and my only concern is the highway experience. I travel not infrequently from south Florida to Tallahassee. Motor trend made it seem as if I will need noise cancelling headphones to drive at highway speeds. Would love to hear from actual owners that have made 3-5 hour trips about the experience (to include range and comfort as well as the noise level). Thank you in advance for sincere answers!

·
Registered
100 Posts
My day of pickup was an 8 hour, 450 mile drive home from the dealer. Stopped once for 60 minutes to grab dinner and a charge from 22% to 80% (on a 350kW charger). Seats were incredibly comfortable and no body fatigue after that much time in the drivers spot, road noise is present but is really white noise and listening to music even on low levels I didnt notice it and talking on the phone with a number of family and friends not one said "god its noisy where you are" nor did I have to say "sorry, can you repeat that the truck I'm in is so damn loud".

Definitely not a dead quite vehicle but I think you'd have to either be extremely sensitive to noise or have a totally mistaken expectations of vehicle with a removable roof and massive offroad tires to this its 'way to loud'.

As others have said.. the most you use the truck more you love it for all that it is.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Have a reservation and my only concern is the highway experience. I travel not infrequently from south Florida to Tallahassee. Motor trend made it seem as if I will need noise cancelling headphones to drive at highway speeds. Would love to hear from actual owners that have made 3-5 hour trips about the experience (to include range and comfort as well as the noise level). Thank you in advance for sincere answers!
Tire noise, and wind noise, its not the most peaceful vehicle for long drives, it bothered me the first day, but since, its just a characteristic of the vehicle. No problem.

Remember the roof panels are just plastic, and the sun would be a bigger concern in Florida, I might opt for the opaque panels.

If you buy a SilveradoE, its going to be very quiet, and have longer range, but its ain't no HummerEV. ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tire noise, and wind noise, its not the most peaceful vehicle for long drives, it bothered me the first day, but since, its just a characteristic of the vehicle. No problem.

Remember the roof panels are just plastic, and the sun would be a bigger concern in Florida, I might opt for the opaque panels.

If you buy a SilveradoE, its going to be very quiet, and have longer range, but its ain't no HummerEV. ;)
I wish they provided a sunshade or something with the Texas sun. Also it’s obviously more noise then a vehicle with a fixed roof but it’s quieter then my wife’s bronco. That thing is miserable on the freeway

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tire noise, and wind noise, its not the most peaceful vehicle for long drives, it bothered me the first day, but since, its just a characteristic of the vehicle…
With you on the tire noise, but I still think you have a misaligned windshield or something. We took ours on a 1400 mile road trip and had great family conversation along the way. No one ever mentioned road noise or asked anyone to repeat themselves.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wish they provided a sunshade or something with the Texas sun. Also it’s obviously more noise then a vehicle with a fixed roof but it’s quieter then my wife’s bronco. That thing is miserable on the freeway
@Alexjrs we haven't heard much from you since you got yours.... I would like hear about your impressions. Hopefully we haven't heard from you because you were too busy out enjoying it.

·
Registered
530 Posts

I’ve gone back and forth on the panels. I’ve got a 3X truck and ED1 SUV on order, but leaning toward the truck (haven’t seen the SUV in person so withholding my final call). Anyway, if I go 3X I’m started to lean toward going with the opaque panels but I just love the open feel of the transparent panels so I’m torn.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I’ve gone back and forth on the panels. I’ve got a 3X truck and ED1 SUV on order, but leaning toward the truck (haven’t seen the SUV in person so withholding my final call). Anyway, if I go 3X I’m started to lean toward going with the opaque panels but I just love the open feel of the transparent panels so I’m torn.
I am with you exactly... Not sure sure that the transparent would work in South Carolina where it's so damned HOT in the summer... But hopefully I can check out both before I place my 3X order... I have had the glass moon roof in one vehicle and my wife has has it in several and 99% of the time we have kept the shade closed... For me, I think that it will be that I can remove them for open air when I want to... And. I will be able to get that with either..

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am with you exactly... Not sure sure that the transparent would work in South Carolina where it's so damned HOT in the summer... But hopefully I can check out both before I place my 3X order... I have had the glass moon roof in one vehicle and my wife has has it in several and 99% of the time we have kept the shade closed... For me, I think that it will be that I can remove them for open air when I want to... And. I will be able to get that with either..
Same here, shade is closed most of the time, and I didn’t mind having solid panels on my old Jeep. However, it just feels so cool inside having an unlimited view everywhere! I’m so torn…

·
Registered
373 Posts
Same here, shade is closed most of the time, and I didn’t mind having solid panels on my old Jeep. However, it just feels so cool inside having an unlimited view everywhere! I’m so torn…
I'm betting that in time you can take delivery with either panel type and order the others as accessories or as parts.

I’m kinda hoping so as in TX I could see using the transparent ones Oct-Apr/May and the solid ones May-Sep or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts