GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

Should the Hummer EV come with a midgate?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to John Mack, head of the Hummer's exterior design, "There was [a Midgate] early on. We opted for the functionality of the drop glass in the back. With the package layout and things like that, it was not advantageous to pursue that one. And, the five-foot bed was kind of the industry standard in regards to price of entry in that segment,"

Right now the rumor is that GM could bring it to the HUMMER EV.
But nothing at the moment suggests they will.

Do you want the Hummer EV to come with a midgate?

·
Super Moderator
390 Posts
I'd rather have the glass roll down than a midgate. For what the Hummer is designed to do it makes more sense.
That's interesting, but I get it. The logic goes that most people really don't need any bed extension the midgate provides, the roll-down rear glass better suits the real purpose of the truck, open-air excursions offroad. Makes sense. The old H2 SUT actually had both, a folding midgate with the window dropping down into it. The window down made for an awesome experience at speed, air just whips through freely with zero buffeting, its such a fantastic experience you get in no other car this side of convertibles.

For me personally, I'd love to have an H2 SUT-style midgate with the dropping window, but if it had to be midgate or window, I'd probably agree with Jim, because the cruising experience is just that good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts