GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty major news coming out of the General Motors front today, despite the current circumstances.

GM announced today that they have entered into an agreement with Honda to build 2 new EV's for Honda on GM's new Ultium electric car platform, to go on sale by 2024. Honda will design the cars, but GM will assemble them, likely in the USA. Both vehicles will make use of the new GM batteries. Seems like the perfect way for GM to minimize costs and maximize profits, same for Honda.

Also, GM has said numerous times that they hope to license their battery tech to other companies, which would be hugely profitable. The fact that this partnership is with Honda is interesting...based on their past collaborations (development of fuel cells, the Cruise Origin and battery modules), I wouldn't be surprised to see Honda and GM forming much greater partnerships down the line...think Renault and Nissan, or PSA and FCA. Honda and GM may be the next corporate automaker "marriage,: even if they remain two separate entities.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pretty major news coming out of the General Motors front today, despite the current circumstances.

GM announced today that they have entered into an agreement with Honda to build 2 new EV's for Honda on GM's new Ultium electric car platform, to go on sale by 2024. Honda will design the cars, but GM will assemble them, likely in the USA. Both vehicles will make use of the new GM batteries. Seems like the perfect way for GM to minimize costs and maximize profits, same for Honda.

Also, GM has said numerous times that they hope to license their battery tech to other companies, which would be hugely profitable. The fact that this partnership is with Honda is interesting...based on their past collaborations (development of fuel cells, the Cruise Origin and battery modules), I wouldn't be surprised to see Honda and GM forming much greater partnerships down the line...think Renault and Nissan, or PSA and FCA. Honda and GM may be the next corporate automaker "marriage,: even if they remain two separate entities.

I was wondering when Honda would get heavily involved in the Ev market and I guess this is it. I'm surprised they haven't been developing their own EV platform.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts