GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

General Motors is now making the battery cells for its GMC Hummer EV and SUV, both to be built at Factory Zero in Detroit.

Ultium Cells LLC, the joint venture between GM and LG Energy Solution, said Wednesday it had started production at its new battery cell factory in northeast Ohio.

When asked when the plant started operations, Waid declined to disclose specific information citing competitive reasons. She wrote in an email to the Free Press, "We have chosen to recognize these milestones internally as One Ultium Team. We are happy to share the process of the Ultium Cells team with Ohio Gov. DeWine today."

·
Registered
2019, Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. Sounds like production started earlier in August but waited until today to announce it. Has anyone seen this plant in person? I drove by Factory Zero a year ago and looked like it was still under construction.
There is a youtube channel that has done several drone flyovers of the plant.

·
Registered
133 Posts
On a related note, have batteries been the primary bottleneck to ramping up production? I didn't know if GM had prioritized chips to their EVs enough to offset those supplies or other parts were a problem or if it's just the combination of all of that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
On a related note, have batteries been the primary bottleneck to ramping up production? I didn't know if GM had prioritized chips to their EVs enough to offset those supplies or other parts were a problem or if it's just the combination of all of that.
Maybe things are going to speed up now. I did finally get my Fully Built email today so kinda stoked about eventual shipping/delivery now finally :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think batteries are only a part of it. Shipping seems to be one of the biggest hurdles. For the few they have built they are taking a 2-3 months in most cases to arrive at dealers. Unless they get logistics figured out they will have a lot more hummers piling up in storage yards with still just as few going out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe things are going to speed up now. I did finally get my Fully Built email today so kinda stoked about eventual shipping/delivery now finally :)
Congrats on getting the email and seeing some progress! You’ve been patiently waiting quite a while. Mine was built 6/3 and I’ve had no news since. At this point it feels like you will probably get yours before mine shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Congrats on getting the email and seeing some progress! You’ve been patiently waiting quite a while. Mine was built 6/3 and I’ve had no news since. At this point it feels like you will probably get yours before mine shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, yeah there seem to be a number of you with builts that have long waits, I assume that they are having to fix/retro some of the recall items or something, very odd. There are also a lot of Summer deliveries with no built email yet, and even at least a couple Spring deliveries (that got bumped to Summer). I assume I got mine maybe since I'm using the biggest dealer in Austin and am next in line there... and prob several will be headed this direction to optimize deliveries. Hoping all that is to get some Q3 deliveries fully done before end of September.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, yeah there seem to be a number of you with builts that have long waits, I assume that they are having to fix/retro some of the recall items or something, very odd. There are also a lot of Summer deliveries with no built email yet, and even at least a couple Spring deliveries (that got bumped to Summer). I assume I got mine maybe since I'm using the biggest dealer in Austin and am next in line there... and prob several will be headed this direction to optimize deliveries. Hoping all that is to get some Q3 deliveries fully done before end of September.

Just wondering but when did you place your reservation? I placed my reservation 12/2020 and have yet to receive any news....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just wondering but when did you place your reservation? I placed my reservation 12/2020 and have yet to receive any news....
There has been zero news on anything other than edition 1 reservations. At this point there are only about a dozen rumors about when 3X orders will get verified or how far out production is so its anyone's guess, but you still may not hear anything for months if you are a 3X reservation, and even longer if you're a 2X or 2 reservation.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm anxious to see if any of our recent builds in last week or so are going to be 2023s. Seems not the case which would mean they didn't switch over at the factory build, or they are switching over post Edition 1s maybe instead.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm anxious to see if any of our recent builds in last week or so are going to be 2023s. Seems not the case which would mean they didn't switch over at the factory build, or they are switching over post Edition 1s maybe instead.
Considering how many Ed1s were already sitting outside the plant before it closed, I think they're still working through 2022 builds that needed QC corrections/TSBs/whatever that are just now getting cleared for sale.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts