GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Short(ish) story: I have an Edition 1 Pickup that was produced in March of 2022 and sat in Flint, MI for over 6 months. While I watched no less than 3 other Hummer Edition 1's get delivered at our local dealerships (all with VIN's higher than mine) I waited patiently. I received several emails from GM regarding delivery, in coming weeks, etc. and even received the Clipper Creek charger, but no Hummer EV.

By October of 2022, I had enough of the lack of quality communication regarding the vehicle and emailed Mary and Duncan conveying my disappointment with GM. # hours later I receive a call from GM apologizing for the misstep and they promised to locate the vehicle on their storage lot and get it to the dealer asap. 2 days later the Edition 1 arrived at the dealer! At this point I thought I would finally be able to get the Hummer. However, due to some minor PDI issues I would have to wait a couple of weeks while some new parts came into dealer to replace. No biggie.

On my expected delivery day, the bad news hit. GM issued the stop sale on all Hummer EV. As the PDI had not been marked complete yet, the dealer was unable to finish the PDI and sell to me. Now the Hummer has been sitting at the dealer for over 2 months with no communication on remedy for the issue. And from what I understand there are about 2 dozen future Hummer owners in same situation with Hummers at the dealer and unable to actually buy them.

Today I received the "token" of their appreciation gift. Aka thanks for being patient. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the gesture, but I feel the majority of people who are patiently waiting, would love to hear something about progress towards a resolution / etc.
Liquid Fluid Drinkware Cylinder Gas

I know there are many who still don't have much communication as to when they will get their Hummer, and my only advice is don't expect much. You likely wont even get an email it's at the dealership until after you've picked it up.

As for the RECALL, this is a simple fix in my mind. Replace the battery and call it a day. Stop trying to figure out a way to repair the battery in the field and just build a new one how it's supposed to be and ship it out. Take the defective sealed battery back and reman it for use as warranty part.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Short(ish) story: I have an Edition 1 Pickup that was produced in March of 2022 and sat in Flint, MI for over 6 months. While I watched no less than 3 other Hummer Edition 1's get delivered at our local dealerships (all with VIN's higher than mine) I waited patiently. I received several emails from GM regarding delivery, in coming weeks, etc. and even received the Clipper Creek charger, but no Hummer EV.

By October of 2022, I had enough of the lack of quality communication regarding the vehicle and emailed Mary and Duncan conveying my disappointment with GM. # hours later I receive a call from GM apologizing for the misstep and they promised to locate the vehicle on their storage lot and get it to the dealer asap. 2 days later the Edition 1 arrived at the dealer! At this point I thought I would finally be able to get the Hummer. However, due to some minor PDI issues I would have to wait a couple of weeks while some new parts came into dealer to replace. No biggie.

On my expected delivery day, the bad news hit. GM issued the stop sale on all Hummer EV. As the PDI had not been marked complete yet, the dealer was unable to finish the PDI and sell to me. Now the Hummer has been sitting at the dealer for over 2 months with no communication on remedy for the issue. And from what I understand there are about 2 dozen future Hummer owners in same situation with Hummers at the dealer and unable to actually buy them.

Today I received the "token" of their appreciation gift. Aka thanks for being patient. I'm torn because they didn't have to send anything, but if they were going to make the effort I had expected something a bit more substantial than a Yeti.
View attachment 3807

I know there are many who still don't have much communication as to when they will get their Hummer, and my only advice is don't expect much. You likely wont even get an email it's at the dealership until after you've picked it up.

As for the RECALL, this is a simple fix in my mind. Replace the battery and call it a day. Stop trying to figure out a way to repair the battery in the field and just build a new one how it's supposed to be and ship it out. Take the defective sealed battery back and reman it for use as warranty part.
Typical Tesla fan ranting on another OEM, what a waste of words.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typical Tesla fan ranting on another OEM, what a waste of words.
It's a shame you feel that way. I find that general negativity towards people on the internet is an indicator of some deep feelings of inadequacy. Now, if you'd like to have an actual constructive conversation on the topic please feel free to join back in.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
It's a shame you feel that way. I find that general negativity towards people on the internet is an indicator of some deep feelings of inadequacy. Now, if you'd like to have an actual constructive conversation on the topic please feel free to join back in.
I guess you are the "victim" here which leaves you open to judge my feelings of inadequacy without it being perceived as negative towards people on the internet yourself? Hmmm... Dude, GM is not delivering Hummers because there is a problem with water getting into the battery pack, GM thought they had a handle on it, but found out their fix did not work, now they are taking the time to come up with a new fix, and properly test it before rolling the fix out to the fleet, its really no big deal, and this happens sometimes in new car platforms. You whining and crying victim is lame, thinking GM owes you something... haha! how about people that put down $50K or $250 K deposits on the Tesla roadster 5 years ago and have not heard a word since from Tesla, not a single email in 5 years?

· Registered
370 Posts
I mean, objectively, it IS crappy that it's been almost 10 months since he got an email saying his truck was built and that through a series of logistical failures he got an insulated cup and no truck as a consolation prize. Most of the complaints from Ed1 owners that waited 3+ months for their trucks could have been avoided by not assigning reservation holders "built-shy" trucks. If they had waited until a truck was ACTUALLY complete THEN emailing the buyer, GM would have a lot more goodwill and the whole process would have looked smoother to all of us, instead of a clusterf*** of bad planning and circumstance it turned out to be.

I agree with Brandon that the expeditious and more confidence inspiring repair would be to just swap defective packs for new ones. Send the defective packs back to the factory for refurb/recycling. I know shipping a 1.5ton battery pack to every dealer is something they want to avoid, but letting service departments hand re-seal the packs in volume seems like a potentially larger can of worms. Yes, I know they're equipped to do it...on a limited need to, service basis, but we're talking about potentially opening the pack of every Hummer EV already sold and hoping for 100% perfect performance from GM service techs from across the nation. And I know those guys work hard but I don't think I would trust my local dealer when they can't handle swapping an A/C compressor without issue. The fact that they're basically telling everyone effected by the stop sale that its going to be another couple of months before they get their Hummer makes me think they may already know this. It doesn't take 4-5 months for a dealer to do a couple hour fix of something they already have a procedure for. If they were satisfied with the "let local dealers reseal the packs" solution the stop-sale would already be over for some and be over for everyone within a couple weeks.
They've had the time to:
1) identify the problem (something they did WAY before October)
2) test a solution
3) begin implementing the solution (assuming it worked)
So maybe pack replacement IS the solution and they're just getting everything sorted.

And if anyone in GM logistics reads this, when it comes times to start the 3X process, email us to get our orders finalized and then don't tell us our trucks are done until it's sitting complete, ready to load on a truck to our dealers. We don't want to hear that a chassis with our VIN just entered production, we want to hear when its done.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
I mean, objectively, it IS crappy that it's been almost 10 months since he got an email saying his truck was built and that through a series of logistical failures he got an insulated cup and no truck as a consolation prize. Most of the complaints from Ed1 owners that waited 3+ months for their trucks could have been avoided by not assigning reservation holders "built-shy" trucks. If they had waited until a truck was ACTUALLY complete THEN emailing the buyer, GM would have a lot more goodwill and the whole process would have looked smoother to all of us, instead of a clusterf*** of bad planning and circumstance it turned out to be.

I agree with Brandon that the expeditious and more confidence inspiring repair would be to just swap defective packs for new ones. Send the defective packs back to the factory for refurb/recycling. I know shipping a 1.5ton battery pack to every dealer is something they want to avoid, but letting service departments hand re-seal the packs in volume seems like a potentially larger can of worms. Yes, I know they're equipped to do it...on a limited need to, service basis, but we're talking about potentially opening the pack of every Hummer EV already sold and hoping for 100% perfect performance from GM service techs from across the nation. And I know those guys work hard but I don't think I would trust my local dealer when they can't handle swapping an A/C compressor without issue. The fact that they're basically telling everyone effected by the stop sale that its going to be another couple of months before they get their Hummer makes me think they may already know this. It doesn't take 4-5 months for a dealer to do a couple hour fix of something they already have a procedure for. If they were satisfied with the "let local dealers reseal the packs" solution the stop-sale would already be over for some and be over for everyone within a couple weeks.
They've had the time to:
1) identify the problem (something they did WAY before October)
2) test a solution
3) begin implementing the solution (assuming it worked)
So maybe pack replacement IS the solution and they're just getting everything sorted.

And if anyone in GM logistics reads this, when it comes times to start the 3X process, email us to get our orders finalized and then don't tell us our trucks are done until it's sitting complete, ready to load on a truck to our dealers. We don't want to hear that a chassis with our VIN just entered production, we want to hear when its done.
It is all perspective, When GM took reservations for the Edition 1 there was no mention of the A/C level 2 charger being included, so that is a $1000 bonus GM threw in. Other EV makers have been months to years late with deliveries, with much larger than $100 deposits, and the customers got nothing,., Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, Audi, VW, and Tesla is so crappy they are even offering new purchasers of Model S and X a $7500 rebate, while old reservation holders that reserved right when the refresh was announced rot on the vine. Tesla now charges $30K+ more for a model S and X than the refresh was originally announced at so those that made early reservations are just out of luck.

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,225 Posts
I'm not convinced they actually have non-defective seals on new packs. Having a remedy for new trucks being built shouldn't mean a fleetwide stop sale.

· Registered
370 Posts
I'm not convinced they actually have non-defective seals on new packs. Having a remedy for new trucks being built shouldn't mean a fleetwide stop sale.
Like I said in the production thread, there’s dissonance between what they say is happening and what we see happening. They basically said corrected packs were already in production when the stop-sale started but every indication is that regular sales of trucks produced since the "new packs" showed up won't resume for 3-6 months. It just doesn't add up.

· Registered
32 Posts

Today I received the "token" of their appreciation gift. Aka thanks for being patient. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the gesture, but I feel the majority of people who are patiently waiting, would love to hear something about progress towards a resolution / etc.
View attachment 3807

The battery cost more than the entire truck (~134k). They have to repair them or it would be cheaper to refund your purchase price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts