GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mary Barra stated yesterday that currently GM is running all 4 truck plants as fast as they can and selling every truck they build, she went on to say they hope to build some inventory, but don't see that happening this year. She also said GM is still guiding for sales growth this year from 2021 levels, earlier GM had said 20% USA sales growth in 2022, but now that has been updated to 20-30% growth. This was surprising with gas prices and economic factors that GM management is so bullish on increasing sales. This will take huge growth in the second half of the year to hit these numbers.

Either GM management is full of it, or the truck business is incredibly strong right now @BigJonEV what are you seeing?

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
756 Posts
I think there's still a lot of hope out there that the increase in oil prices is a temporary thing like last time. Might take a year of prices being at these levels or higher for people to really decide to give up their pickups for something more fuel efficient.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there's still a lot of hope out there that the increase in oil prices is a temporary thing like last time. Might take a year of prices being at these levels or higher for people to really decide to give up their pickups for something more fuel efficient.
No choice for working people now, there are no EV trucks available on the lots. Even if working people want to give EV a try, a new order is 2+ years from production.

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
Mary Barra stated yesterday that currently GM is running all 4 truck plants as fast as they can and selling every truck they build, she went on to say they hope to build some inventory, but don't see that happening this year. She also said GM is still guiding for sales growth this year from 2021 levels, earlier GM had said 20% USA sales growth in 2022, but now that has been updated to 20-30% growth. This was surprising with gas prices and economic factors that GM management is so bullish on increasing sales. This will take huge growth in the second half of the year to hit these numbers.

Either GM management is full of it, or the truck business is incredibly strong right now @BigJonEV what are you seeing?
I find this hard to believe. I just had to cancel several orders for Denali Ultimate trucks due to no SuperCruise and then the week after no more 6.2L motor for the rest of 22 model year. We can't get 6.2L engines right now for trucks, so I find it interesting we are going to see this growth 2nd half of the year. Magically for 2023 we will have all of these parts back???

As far as selling every truck they build, I believe that fully. It's taking them so long to build and ship these trucks if it wasn't already a sold order, we will end up having a deposit on it before it arrives. I don't really remember the last time we saw Sierra's show up available. This is HD trucks as well. The truck business is strong, but I feel it's more about timing. If we received these trucks in a normal timeframe as before we wouldn't have all of these deposits. Once we get invoiced from GM, these trucks show up on our website. Then it takes another two months to get to us so we receive probably a 100 calls per truck so someone is willing to buy it before it arrives.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find this hard to believe. I just had to cancel several orders for Denali Ultimate trucks due to no SuperCruise and then the week after no more 6.2L motor for the rest of 22 model year. We can't get 6.2L engines right now for trucks, so I find it interesting we are going to see this growth 2nd half of the year. Magically for 2023 we will have all of these parts back???

As far as selling every truck they build, I believe that fully. It's taking them so long to build and ship these trucks if it wasn't already a sold order, we will end up having a deposit on it before it arrives. I don't really remember the last time we saw Sierra's show up available. This is HD trucks as well. The truck business is strong, but I feel it's more about timing. If we received these trucks in a normal timeframe as before we wouldn't have all of these deposits. Once we get invoiced from GM, these trucks show up on our website. Then it takes another two months to get to us so we receive probably a 100 calls per truck so someone is willing to buy it before it arrives.
Wow, why no Supercruise? Is that a semiconductor thing? 6.2 engines too? But GM is pushing the 6.2 much harder on the refresh, you mean they did not have the inventory?

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
Wow, why no Supercruise? Is that a semiconductor thing? 6.2 engines too? But GM is pushing the 6.2 much harder on the refresh, you mean they did not have the inventory?
Denali Ultimate constrained to 0%
Denali is available only if they can after all sold orders are input.
AT4 constrained to 0%
AT4X constrained to 0%
Crew Cab 6.2L V8 constrained TBD (so no update when available again)

As you can see this is what they push and this is exactly what we can't get.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Denali Ultimate constrained to 0%
Denali is available only if they can after all sold orders are input.
AT4 constrained to 0%
AT4X constrained to 0%
Crew Cab 6.2L V8 constrained TBD (so no update when available again)

As you can see this is what they push and this is exactly what we can't get.
Frustrating... Is this due to super high take rate? or due to parts shortages? How are HD's are they flowing in?

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
Mainly due to parts shortages from what we are told. HD's were flowing in heavily, but something is going on in Michigan. We've got about 25 HDs just sitting there for months at the In transit stage. We just get told there is a lot of congestion there. They've done great keeping our options open and not heavily constrained on HD's, just need to get them here now.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mainly due to parts shortages from what we are told. HD's were flowing in heavily, but something is going on in Michigan. We've got about 25 HDs just sitting there for months at the In transit stage. We just get told there is a lot of congestion there. They've done great keeping our options open and not heavily constrained on HD's, just need to get them here now.
Ya, the GM CFO mentioned they had logistics issues this quarter in his interview this morning. You get more of your HD's from Flint? Or Oshawa? I wonder if it's a trucking shortage due to independents not being able to afford fuel, or do they typically take a train to your area? @Nebula1701 Why don't you take a road trip to the Flint plant and gets some pictures in the storage lots? Last year they were storing a bunch at the former Buick City site.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tesla has these logistics problems in 2017, Musk got pissed and just bought his own trucking company. Now they move all the short haul (1 day from the plant) themselves and just farm out the long haul.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
756 Posts
I drive by the old Palace lot in Auburn hills all the time. There are a LOT of trucks in that lot right now.

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
Ya, the GM CFO mentioned they had logistics issues this quarter in his interview this morning. You get more of your HD's from Flint? Or Oshawa? I wonder if it's a trucking shortage due to independents not being able to afford fuel, or do they typically take a train to your area? @Nebula1701 Why don't you take a road trip to the Flint plant and gets some pictures in the storage lots? Last year they were storing a bunch at the former Buick City site.
All of ours are coming from Flint, but now they have added a railcar trip from MI to Wentzville, MO and then a truck ride down to us in Springfield. There is something being added in Wentzville that I used to see being done in Flint. Yes it's been a logistical nightmare.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts