GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In a press release published Friday, GM confirmed plans to announce the location of its fourth U.S.-based Ultium Cells battery manufacturing plant in the near future. While GM has yet to say where this facility will be located, a report from Reuters indicates the plant will be constructed about an hour and a half east of Chicago in New Carlisle, Indiana.

A spokesperson for Ultium Cells LLC confirmed to Reuters that the company is “developing a competitive business case for a potential large investment that could be located in New Carlisle, Indiana,” and that it has applied to receive tax breaks for the investment.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
This is very surprising, and tells me GM is also planning a brand new Assembly plant near by. GM talked about a 3rd BT1vehicle assembly plant announcement coming soon last year, but then went quiet on this. I am now thinking that 3rd BT1 Assembly plant will end up somewhere around this battery plant. I do not see GM converting the current truck plant in Ft Wayne Indiana to EV, because that truck plant is so efficient, and fully utilized already.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

A vote on a proposal/approval for the construction of the Ultium plant in New Carlisle Ind. has been delayed 2 weeks by the St. Joseph County Council as changes are being made and a new vote is scheduled for the 27th.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts