GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,234 Posts
I saw this article that claims .5 for Hummer, .44 for Lightning and .3 for Rivian, but then there are some tests showing Lightning did better at 70mph than Rivian. Rivian range tests do seem to be all over the place and not consistent, likely due to tires.

The Rivian was tested under much worse environmental conditions, and they assumed the size of the battery instead of using the actual size. I was surprised Edmunds would push misinformation like they did, but not entirely.

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,234 Posts
Right on that Cd. My eyes don't believe it either. I just can't wrap my head about 0.40 with the so-boxy shape + the apparent total lack of typical aero wheel-wells +the Hummer-style upright windows. But when I start the range calc backwards, taking the definite average speed, distance, and kWh used, which determines the actual "road load", either that Hummer magically lost 1,500 lbs plus rode on LRR highway tires plus got next-generation Ultium SiC inverters, or there's some aero voodoo going on. We'll put a big * by that number until we get another confirming range test.

Here's a fun explanation: I grew up in the SF Bay Area, at one time living spitting-distance from the GM Fremont plant where my stepdad worked. There was a place in the Santa Cruz mountains south of us called "the Mystery Spot", where apparent physics-defying things happened. Pool balls rolling "uphill" on a pool table, etc. (all using optical illusions) This is the first time Tom has done a range test in the Ypsilanti area. Can anyone in MI advise if "strange physic-defying things" happen around Ypsilanti?
I think the wind direction changed through his test from "not detrimental" to "helpful" when he turned around in his loop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts