GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
It is certainly about time, and this should be the highest priority for them. EA already has partnered with Loves Travel Stops. Also 4 per site is not likely enough with the growth of EVs. The EA site in Quartzsite, AZ at the Loves Travel Stop is full often on weekends and people have to wait in line already. That site is 100+ miles from Indio on the CA side and 100+ miles from Buckeye AZ. Very few current EVs will make that distance without an intermediate charge today, and that I-10 route is heavily travelled, Phoenix to/from LA.
I agree 4 isn't much if they want to keep growing the EV customer base. If people pull up to the gas station and look over to see the chargers full and a line behind them they may be turned off from thinking of making the jump to EV. I think 6-8 should be the target number. I know at times when I've passed places with Tesla superchargers they have been full and there are usually 8 or more.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just did a road trip in my Mach E to SoCal this weekend. Took I-8 to San Diego, then I-10 on the return. I had four charging stops and at three out of the four, when I plugged in the stations were full. At each of those when I unplugged, someone else was waiting for a charging spot. Here is a picture at Indio, along I-10, charging next to a Lightning, it is the very first one I have seen in person.

View attachment 2634

At the Loves truck stop, I got to see an ETron GT, waiting to charge, he pulled up right after I plugged in. Thing is, I was the last one to plug in, and the first one to unplug, since I only charge enough to get to the next stop with a little margin.

View attachment 2635

EVGO needs to get moving on their network, otherwise this is going to be like the gas lines from the 70s.

And, to top it all off, at the Loves and at one other stop in Carlsbad, there were Teslas using the CCS chargers, when both of those locations had Super Chargers nearby, I mean literally one block away. I asked the guy at Loves if Elon had raised the prices too high, he said he had some free charging credit with EA that he wanted to use.
Unless they get moving quickly on installing the chargers unfortunately I think this is going to become more common. This will turn people off to EVs quickly if they not only have to wait 30-40 minutes while it charges but they also have to wait 30-40 minutes just for someone else to leave before they can plug in

1 - 3 of 3 Posts