GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

On Thursday, it announced that it is working with the Pilot Company to install 2,000 DC fast chargers at Pilot and Flying J travel centers around the US.

The travel centers should have at least four charging machines each—GM and Pilot say that in total, they intend to place 2,000 chargers at up to 500 locations.

The chargers will be operated by EVgo, which has already partnered with GM on a fast charger expansion program—initially 2,700 and now 3,250—to be completed by 2025.
This is great news, GM investments are making EV-GO into a charging powerhouse. I love it... This will all qualify for US government subsidies too, so does not cost GM too much to do it.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I agree 4 isn't much if they want to keep growing the EV customer base. If people pull up to the gas station and look over to see the chargers full and a line behind them they may be turned off from thinking of making the jump to EV. I think 6-8 should be the target number. I know at times when I've passed places with Tesla superchargers they have been full and there are usually 8 or more.
I would rather see 10 locations with 4 chargers than 5 locations with 8, realizing the public network is in its infancy, we need more locations first, then work on more chargers at each location. I do hope though they design the stations for expansion, so in the future they can add to it (EA does this in most locations).

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Thats true, either way you're getting the about the same amount of chargers and everyone isnt heading to the only place they have them
Ya, for me its more about routing... More locations = better routing options. Tesla likes to show a map with their coverage clouded in, but that is not representative of the real coverage compared to ICE cars. In a Tesla you still have to take very specific routes to get where you want to go, and often if on a trip have to do a fair amount of back tracking from one destination to another, to get back on the charging route. It's still nowhere near as convenient as an Ice vehicle to take a trip.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Nice to have more route choices, but today there is one route between Phoenix and LA, and that is I-10. There are two stretches of desert with little in the way of facilities and infrastructure. So having more chargers in an important location is better for this case. Keep in mind that today, both LA and Phoenix are in the top 10 EV adoption per capita categories.
Agree, there are certain locations larger deployments make sense, but there are other charging infrastructure providers to bridge the gap in the early days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts