GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

On Thursday, it announced that it is working with the Pilot Company to install 2,000 DC fast chargers at Pilot and Flying J travel centers around the US.

The travel centers should have at least four charging machines each—GM and Pilot say that in total, they intend to place 2,000 chargers at up to 500 locations.

The chargers will be operated by EVgo, which has already partnered with GM on a fast charger expansion program—initially 2,700 and now 3,250—to be completed by 2025.

·
Registered
2019, Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More information from GM

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
689 Posts

On Thursday, it announced that it is working with the Pilot Company to install 2,000 DC fast chargers at Pilot and Flying J travel centers around the US.

The travel centers should have at least four charging machines each—GM and Pilot say that in total, they intend to place 2,000 chargers at up to 500 locations.

The chargers will be operated by EVgo, which has already partnered with GM on a fast charger expansion program—initially 2,700 and now 3,250—to be completed by 2025.
It is certainly about time, and this should be the highest priority for them. EA already has partnered with Loves Travel Stops. Also 4 per site is not likely enough with the growth of EVs. The EA site in Quartzsite, AZ at the Loves Travel Stop is full often on weekends and people have to wait in line already. That site is 100+ miles from Indio on the CA side and 100+ miles from Buckeye AZ. Very few current EVs will make that distance without an intermediate charge today, and that I-10 route is heavily travelled, Phoenix to/from LA.

·
Registered
374 Posts

This is great, Pilots are always in great freeway locations - definitely better than the current EA Walmart situations on road trips.

·
Registered
688 Posts
This is good, from the article: "Many of these sites will feature canopies to help protect customers from the elements while charging, as well as pull-through capability allowing convenient charging for electric pickup trucks and SUVs pulling trailers."
That's an excellent touch by GM and EVgo. More charging stations should have something like this to cover customers like a gas station.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

This is great news, GM investments are making EV-GO into a charging powerhouse. I love it... This will all qualify for US government subsidies too, so does not cost GM too much to do it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It is certainly about time, and this should be the highest priority for them. EA already has partnered with Loves Travel Stops. Also 4 per site is not likely enough with the growth of EVs. The EA site in Quartzsite, AZ at the Loves Travel Stop is full often on weekends and people have to wait in line already. That site is 100+ miles from Indio on the CA side and 100+ miles from Buckeye AZ. Very few current EVs will make that distance without an intermediate charge today, and that I-10 route is heavily travelled, Phoenix to/from LA.
I agree 4 isn't much if they want to keep growing the EV customer base. If people pull up to the gas station and look over to see the chargers full and a line behind them they may be turned off from thinking of making the jump to EV. I think 6-8 should be the target number. I know at times when I've passed places with Tesla superchargers they have been full and there are usually 8 or more.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I agree 4 isn't much if they want to keep growing the EV customer base. If people pull up to the gas station and look over to see the chargers full and a line behind them they may be turned off from thinking of making the jump to EV. I think 6-8 should be the target number. I know at times when I've passed places with Tesla superchargers they have been full and there are usually 8 or more.
I would rather see 10 locations with 4 chargers than 5 locations with 8, realizing the public network is in its infancy, we need more locations first, then work on more chargers at each location. I do hope though they design the stations for expansion, so in the future they can add to it (EA does this in most locations).

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Thats true, either way you're getting the about the same amount of chargers and everyone isnt heading to the only place they have them
Ya, for me its more about routing... More locations = better routing options. Tesla likes to show a map with their coverage clouded in, but that is not representative of the real coverage compared to ICE cars. In a Tesla you still have to take very specific routes to get where you want to go, and often if on a trip have to do a fair amount of back tracking from one destination to another, to get back on the charging route. It's still nowhere near as convenient as an Ice vehicle to take a trip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is good, from the article: "Many of these sites will feature canopies to help protect customers from the elements while charging, as well as pull-through capability allowing convenient charging for electric pickup trucks and SUVs pulling trailers."
OK. This is spooky. The arstechnica article was released early this morning. Yesterday I posted this on the Hummerchat GM Q2 thread regarding their investment plans with EVGO:

But....GM needs to leverage EVGO to design new charge stations to include some PULL-THROUGH dispensers (and canopies where ever possible). Any OEM selling e-trucks needs to support what e-trucks will need.

·
Registered
689 Posts
More locations = better routing options.
Nice to have more route choices, but today there is one route between Phoenix and LA, and that is I-10. There are two stretches of desert with little in the way of facilities and infrastructure. So having more chargers in an important location is better for this case. Keep in mind that today, both LA and Phoenix are in the top 10 EV adoption per capita categories.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Nice to have more route choices, but today there is one route between Phoenix and LA, and that is I-10. There are two stretches of desert with little in the way of facilities and infrastructure. So having more chargers in an important location is better for this case. Keep in mind that today, both LA and Phoenix are in the top 10 EV adoption per capita categories.
Agree, there are certain locations larger deployments make sense, but there are other charging infrastructure providers to bridge the gap in the early days.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just did a road trip in my Mach E to SoCal this weekend. Took I-8 to San Diego, then I-10 on the return. I had four charging stops and at three out of the four, when I plugged in the stations were full. At each of those when I unplugged, someone else was waiting for a charging spot. Here is a picture at Indio, along I-10, charging next to a Lightning, it is the very first one I have seen in person.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

At the Loves truck stop, I got to see an ETron GT, waiting to charge, he pulled up right after I plugged in. Thing is, I was the last one to plug in, and the first one to unplug, since I only charge enough to get to the next stop with a little margin.

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Cloud

EVGO needs to get moving on their network, otherwise this is going to be like the gas lines from the 70s.

And, to top it all off, at the Loves and at one other stop in Carlsbad, there were Teslas using the CCS chargers, when both of those locations had Super Chargers nearby, I mean literally one block away. I asked the guy at Loves if Elon had raised the prices too high, he said he had some free charging credit with EA that he wanted to use.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just did a road trip in my Mach E to SoCal this weekend. Took I-8 to San Diego, then I-10 on the return. I had four charging stops and at three out of the four, when I plugged in the stations were full. At each of those when I unplugged, someone else was waiting for a charging spot. Here is a picture at Indio, along I-10, charging next to a Lightning, it is the very first one I have seen in person.

View attachment 2634

At the Loves truck stop, I got to see an ETron GT, waiting to charge, he pulled up right after I plugged in. Thing is, I was the last one to plug in, and the first one to unplug, since I only charge enough to get to the next stop with a little margin.

View attachment 2635

EVGO needs to get moving on their network, otherwise this is going to be like the gas lines from the 70s.

And, to top it all off, at the Loves and at one other stop in Carlsbad, there were Teslas using the CCS chargers, when both of those locations had Super Chargers nearby, I mean literally one block away. I asked the guy at Loves if Elon had raised the prices too high, he said he had some free charging credit with EA that he wanted to use.
Unless they get moving quickly on installing the chargers unfortunately I think this is going to become more common. This will turn people off to EVs quickly if they not only have to wait 30-40 minutes while it charges but they also have to wait 30-40 minutes just for someone else to leave before they can plug in

·
Registered
689 Posts
Unless they get moving quickly on installing the chargers unfortunately I think this is going to become more common. This will turn people off to EVs quickly if they not only have to wait 30-40 minutes while it charges but they also have to wait 30-40 minutes just for someone else to leave before they can plug in
There are also people who have poor etiquette, for example, at the Loves stop, the guy with the Niro that charges at only 75kw, was plugged into a 350kw charger. The red Mach E was plugging into the 150kw with the Chademo connector, when I got there. That should be the last resort, in case a Leaf shows up. And no way a Tesla should be there on a busy weekend, when the Super Chargers are on the other side of the freeway.

I ended up on the other 150kw charger, but I only charged for 24 minutes and let the Etron have that charger. My previous charge stop was only 15 minutes and I had one other one on my trip that was only 18 minutes. People also need to learn how to charge efficiently, there are many people who always want to charge to 80-90% when it is totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I hope EVGO is really going to put in some 350kw chargers. I went by this new site in Goodyear, AZ. While the Signet dispensers indicate 350kw/500A, I looked at the power supply boxes, and they are all labeled as 175kw/350A. They also have two smaller units, rated at 100kw/200A.

Sky Cloud Plant Tree Shade

1 - 19 of 19 Posts