GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
GM isn't in a bad spot, they have announced the Silverado EV and their customer base will wait a bit. In some ways it puts them in position to launch with updated batteries and ensure they have better range. They will have to match closely on base features and price and I bet Silverado EV will have a < $40K base configuration as well. I need a new truck relatively soon, within the next year, so I can't wait for Silverado.

The reality is I’m probably spending $85 to $120 K on a new truck and it’s going to be which one gives me the best combination of features I want. Hummer EV, Lightning or Cybertruck. None are perfect, none have all the features I want. Ultimately, I want the Hummer EV with a 6ft bed, 3000lb cargo capacity and 12,000lb tow capacity, 400+ mile range while towing a 6000lb trailer. Might have to spend less now on the Ford and be happy waiting for round 2 of the EV trucks to truly deliver.

Ford’s smaller battery setup within the frame was a reasonable compromise to range for price and to facilitate simple transition of the F-150 body. And hey, they can still mount a spare in the usual spot. ;)

· Registered
76 Posts
You will be waiting a long time for this type of truck.
Hmmm... Perhaps. I think it is till a wait, but will be here before we realize it. The Ford ticks all the boxes except range. Cargo capacity is a touch low, but I also trust that I can push it a bit the couple times I will in the time I own it. I’ve owned dozens of fleet and personal trucks and that’s the one thing Ford and GM/Chevy do best — build them tough and rate them conservatively. It really comes down to range while towing when I’m out of town. I don’t want to own two trucks so I have one to drive daily and another to take into the mountains or camping.

My fleet sales guys think the rating on the Hummer EV is way low and conservative. They’re saying 1450lb cargo capacity to keep the listed GVWR under 10,500. At > 10,500 the truck needs extra DOT tags even if owned and operated personally in most places. In reality the thing is a beast and will almost certainly handle a lot more. ...in theory. Still some questions watching all the videos of the truck accelerating and the rear squat as it happens. They’re probably leaving the rear suspension soft in WTF mode to maximize HP to the road... hopefully.

Tow capacity and range are still my number one concern with the Hummer. I need a legit 200 miles with the trailer to make the truck viable for about 15% of my driving. Daily driving it around town most of the time is a non-issue with range, trailer or not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.