212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting them all here….

Why Does HUMMER EV EXIST?

GMC Hummer EV Pickup: driving the Super Truck in Arizona! OFF-ROADING

·
Registered
530 Posts
Weird that it rained in AZ on the day they all went out to drive. Several of the videos talk about 0-60 in about 3.5 and then they blame the weather. I totally get that a wet road will slow it down a little, but it didnt look as wet in their WTF mode videos in the parking lot. Curious if the true time will be closer to 3.5 or if the 3.0 is still accurate.

Also, with the rain it was definitely loud on those acrylic panels. Maybe its just the camera audio picking it up, but it never seemed that loud with my old Jeep. Wonder if the acrylic is just louder overall, and also if the opaque panels would be much quieter. I was also hoping someone would comment on possible heat transfer since it was in AZ , but the cloudy day may have prevented them from experiencing much direct sunlight coming down on them through the panels. With an ED1 SUV on order I'll obviously have the transparent panels, but if rain noise and heat transfer are high on them I may order the opaque panels to use at other times as well.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
898 Posts
Weird that it rained in AZ on the day they all went out to drive. Several of the videos talk about 0-60 in about 3.5 and then they blame the weather. I totally get that a wet road will slow it down a little, but it didnt look as wet in their WTF mode videos in the parking lot. Curious if the true time will be closer to 3.5 or if the 3.0 is still accurate.

Also, with the rain it was definitely loud on those acrylic panels. Maybe its just the camera audio picking it up, but it never seemed that loud with my old Jeep. Wonder if the acrylic is just louder overall, and also if the opaque panels would be much quieter. I was also hoping someone would comment on possible heat transfer since it was in AZ , but the cloudy day may have prevented them from experiencing much direct sunlight coming down on them through the panels. With an ED1 SUV on order I'll obviously have the transparent panels, but if rain noise and heat transfer are high on them I may order the opaque panels to use at other times as well.
Traction is an issue even on dry roads. Truck actually felt like it might hook up better with slightly overinflated tires because they don't squish out as much when it squats. Never bothered trying to measure 0-60 at all, but you can tell a big difference when traction control doesn't have to intervene as much. When you get a good hook you get slammed in the seat and keep getting pushed harder the whole time.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Traction is an issue even on dry roads. Truck actually felt like it might hook up better with slightly overinflated tires because they don't squish out as much when it squats. Never bothered trying to measure 0-60 at all, but you can tell a big difference when traction control doesn't have to intervene as much.
Do you think it will be better with the regular tires instead of the off road?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts

Ya, we know the Hummer is slower than the Rivian, and the Rivian is about 3.2 seconds, so 3.4 to 3.5 is likely accurate. I think the 3.0 flat is a myth for both trucks unless you subtract 1 ft rollout which then is not a real 0-60 time anyway.

From Kyle Conner's review he feels about like I do, Hummer is larger (both a negative and positive), full of party tricks (Crab, 4WS, and removable roof), but when it comes right down to performance the Rivian is a better engineered and more capable vehicle on and off road. Rivian would be far easier to live with every day, Hummer more geared towards those that want to show off.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
686 Posts
Here's the Out of Spec reviews video

Wow, 318kw of regen, much higher than I expected. Now we need to get Electrify America to replace all those old ABB units with the newer Signet ones, so we can see 350kw charging.

I appreciate Kyle's assessment that both Rivian and Hummer are trucks that he likes, but they will not be for everyone, since they are so different.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ya, we know the Hummer is slower than the Rivian, and the Rivian is about 3.2 seconds, so 3.4 to 3.5 is likely accurate. I think the 3.0 flat is a myth for both trucks unless you subtract 1 ft rollout which then is not a real 0-60 time anyway.

From Kyle Conner's review he feels about like I do, Hummer is larger (both a negative and positive), full of party tricks (Crab, 4WS, and removable roof), but when it comes right down to performance the Rivian is a better engineered and more capable vehicle on and off road. Rivian would be far easier to live with every day, Hummer more geared towards those that want to show off.
Nothing against Rivian I just love Hummers, always have. I’ll take looks over the performance any day, plus open air experience.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts