GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I likely won't be able to keep this entirely brief, but here goes. I'm a clear vehicle masochist, and I'll start there. Currently my stable was compromised of a Tesla Model S, Ford Bronco, Subaru Ascent and my current pride and joy the all-new Raptor. I have a few other vehicles on pre-order for sometime, those include:

1. Rivian R1S since mid-2019
2. Cybertruck (day 1 holder 2019)
3. Add Hummer EV to the list 3/23/22

My wait for the Rivian has been painful, and it's starting to lose some of its moxy to me personally. I'm price locked into my $75k adventure pack but I'll likely flip it for its true sticker now that prices have increased. It was supposed to replace our Subaru for my wife's family hauler, but I've been doing so much driving in the Raptor with our 3 boys that I'm not so sure we really need 3rd row... enter the Hummer.

A colleague of mine reserved early on a Hummer Launch Edition from a particular dealer locally and he's taking delivery in a couple weeks side by side with the stores owner. I decided to call up the owner myself being that it's a small dealer that went through its massive EV changes and asked about their orders and was shocked to hear that they only had about 20 to their specific dealership and they will charge MSRP. Full disclosure, I was willing to pay ADM. I paid under invoice for my Bronco First Edition but I did pay ADM on my Raptor 37 and it wouldn't have bothered me to pay a little extra for the Hummer.

In my mind, most people throwing $100 bucks down on a $100k truck aren't serious, so I'm knocking off at least 8 people from their list. I went ahead and placed my reservation after our call for both the truck and the SUV.

Now that I've done this - I've got a few extra questions for the knowledgeable people of the forum.

1. Did I need to reserve both the truck and SUV? It was not clear to me if I was absolutely locked into one or the other so I did both, I think I'm leaning towards SUV 3 motor but if the Cybertruck never sees the light of day for me I am considering the truck.

2. This may be a dumb question, but I don't know a lot about these Hummers or orders. All the launch editions are white - but I didn't see any colors to choose from for either model. I'm not locked into any specific color am I? I like white, not a fan of this blue grey.

3. Is there an average amount of allocations dealerships are getting? The owner seemed pretty confident I would get my Hummer from their dealer next year easily in the spring if I selected the SUV as he said they only had 2 SUV preorders and the rest were trucks. The owner seems like a great guy, really liked our convo and he knows my buddy but I've been ordering a lot of promises that haven't come true in the past 36 months so I'm cautiously optimistic.

4. And the big one that I'm sure is debated on this forum already and absolutely I'm going to start reading through threads - but as a guy who hasn't so much as watched a YouTube video on this thing outside of a couple hilarious ones talking about how not efficient it is(which makes me love it more) I really don't know a lot about it. Any reason someone should pick SUV over the truck? Truck has more utility, but SUV I think (personally) looks more proportional.

Happy to join the club!

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
392 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just a heads up right now all reservations go through the GMC site so unless you reserved through them and got the confirmation email you may not have either one reserved. You can pick your local dealer through the reservation process but the orders themselves are only finalized through the dealer once it gets close to production, and that is when you will pick a color and any available options.

As far as getting bumped ahead of other people due to the low deposit amount I wouldn’t bank on that. Anyone following the demand for the hummers will see they can quickly turn their $100 in to $100,000 if they don’t want the vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Just a heads up right now all reservations go through the GMC site so unless you reserved through them and got the confirmation email you may not have either one reserved. You can pick your local dealer through the reservation process but the orders themselves are only finalized through the dealer once it gets close to production, and that is when you will pick a color and any available options.

As far as getting bumped ahead of other people due to the low deposit amount I wouldn’t bank on that. Anyone following the demand for the hummers will see they can quickly turn their $100 in to $100,000 if they don’t want the vehicle.
Thanks! I reserved both through GMCs site and selected my dealer yes. End of the day, $100 bucks is chump change, and I don't believe for one second that 100% of people who put down $100 can fork over $100k (much less get approved for financing if they need to). Even if they want to flip it, I just don't believe that GMCs conversion rate tops 50% especially when we can look to historical performance from other more established EV brands to set expectation(e.x. Tesla). We'll see though! I could be wrong and all of the sudden everyone is driving expensive $100k EVs in the next year, but I'm gonna hazard to guess that won't happen.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I likely won't be able to keep this entirely brief, but here goes. I'm a clear vehicle masochist, and I'll start there. Currently my stable was compromised of a Tesla Model S, Ford Bronco, Subaru Ascent and my current pride and joy the all-new Raptor. I have a few other vehicles on pre-order for sometime, those include:

1. Rivian R1S since mid-2019
2. Cybertruck (day 1 holder 2019)
3. Add Hummer EV to the list 3/23/22

My wait for the Rivian has been painful, and it's starting to lose some of its moxy to me personally. I'm price locked into my $75k adventure pack but I'll likely flip it for its true sticker now that prices have increased. It was supposed to replace our Subaru for my wife's family hauler, but I've been doing so much driving in the Raptor with our 3 boys that I'm not so sure we really need 3rd row... enter the Hummer.

A colleague of mine reserved early on a Hummer Launch Edition from a particular dealer locally and he's taking delivery in a couple weeks side by side with the stores owner. I decided to call up the owner myself being that it's a small dealer that went through its massive EV changes and asked about their orders and was shocked to hear that they only had about 20 to their specific dealership and they will charge MSRP. Full disclosure, I was willing to pay ADM. I paid under invoice for my Bronco First Edition but I did pay ADM on my Raptor 37 and it wouldn't have bothered me to pay a little extra for the Hummer.

In my mind, most people throwing $100 bucks down on a $100k truck aren't serious, so I'm knocking off at least 8 people from their list. I went ahead and placed my reservation after our call for both the truck and the SUV.

Now that I've done this - I've got a few extra questions for the knowledgeable people of the forum.

1. Did I need to reserve both the truck and SUV? It was not clear to me if I was absolutely locked into one or the other so I did both, I think I'm leaning towards SUV 3 motor but if the Cybertruck never sees the light of day for me I am considering the truck.

2. This may be a dumb question, but I don't know a lot about these Hummers or orders. All the launch editions are white - but I didn't see any colors to choose from for either model. I'm not locked into any specific color am I? I like white, not a fan of this blue grey.

3. Is there an average amount of allocations dealerships are getting? The owner seemed pretty confident I would get my Hummer from their dealer next year easily in the spring if I selected the SUV as he said they only had 2 SUV preorders and the rest were trucks. The owner seems like a great guy, really liked our convo and he knows my buddy but I've been ordering a lot of promises that haven't come true in the past 36 months so I'm cautiously optimistic.

4. And the big one that I'm sure is debated on this forum already and absolutely I'm going to start reading through threads - but as a guy who hasn't so much as watched a YouTube video on this thing outside of a couple hilarious ones talking about how not efficient it is(which makes me love it more) I really don't know a lot about it. Any reason someone should pick SUV over the truck? Truck has more utility, but SUV I think (personally) looks more proportional.

Happy to join the club!

View attachment 1942
View attachment 1941
Welcome to Hummer Chat @HummerNowPlz! You have to do separate reservations for the pickup and SUV so it seems like you've covered your bases there.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks! I reserved both through GMCs site and selected my dealer yes. End of the day, $100 bucks is chump change, and I don't believe for one second that 100% of people who put down $100 can fork over $100k (much less get approved for financing if they need to). Even if they want to flip it, I just don't believe that GMCs conversion rate tops 50% especially when we can look to historical performance from other more established EV brands to set expectation(e.x. Tesla). We'll see though! I could be wrong and all of the sudden everyone is driving expensive $100k EVs in the next year, but I'm gonna hazard to guess that won't happen.
I don’t believe there will be 100% conversion rate, but the hummer is a lower production vehicle and for the foreseeable future will just be built to order, and if a customer at one dealer does not finalize their order then GMC just moves on to the next order in line, they aren’t just going to still build the unit for the dealer to use as a stock unit. Not trying to be argumentative just filling you in since you said you are just now looking into the hummer info. There is a wait list of people who did not get an order in quick enough for the edition 1, so if a customer at Dealer A doesn’t finalize their order then GMC will then alert the next buyer at Dealer B to finalize their order or go to the people on the wait list, they won’t just build an edition 1 for dealer A and say “well guess we lost an order here ya go Mr Dealer this one is all yours.”

It does kinda stink for the dealer if a customer doesn’t finalize their order because then they will just have to wait longer for when their next customer comes up in the queue.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I don’t believe there will be 100% conversion rate, but the hummer is a lower production vehicle and for the foreseeable future will just be built to order, and if a customer at one dealer does not finalize their order then GMC just moves on to the next order in line, they aren’t just going to still build the unit for the dealer to use as a stock unit. Not trying to be argumentative just filling you in since you said you are just now looking into the hummer info. There is a wait list of people who did not get an order in quick enough for the edition 1, so if a customer at Dealer A doesn’t finalize their order then GMC will then alert the next buyer at Dealer B to finalize their order or go to the people on the wait list, they won’t just build an edition 1 for dealer A and say “well guess we lost an order here ya go Mr Dealer this one is all yours.”

It does kinda stink for the dealer if a customer doesn’t finalize their order because then they will just have to wait longer for when their next customer comes up in the queue.
I agree, Hummer will see a high conversion rate on the Editions 1's, some will get flipped right away, but cancellations are going to be rare. HummerEV when announced was high priced, but going forward if GM holds the pricing presents quite a value compared to ICE trucks which are selling for 15-20% more then they were in 2020.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hmm, I will say I believe you- and certainly not trying to be argumentative at all! Sorry if it came across that way. The only thing I'll say is that the owner of the dealer to whom I'm working with said something very different as it relates to allocations. He told me explicitly that he is assigned allocations based on his commitment to upgrade his store per GMs requirements. Having done this he knew that the first (2) he get would go to himself(which he is placing on the show room floor for people to gawk at, but not for sale) and the 2nd to my aforementioned friend. He was clear that while they go down the line when contacting customers through GMC and finalizing it with the dealer that if one of his reservations in line cancel that it does not affect his sale count as it would indeed move to the next person with a reservation with his dealership based on their allocations. He was coy with me on exactly how many allocations he had, but made it sound that even if everyone who placed a reservation actually converted that I would still likely get mine spring of 2023.

If he had told me what you just explained, I would have had a different tone/outlook because this is a very different story than what the owner himself gave to me. Pickles.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Hmm, I will say I believe you- and certainly not trying to be argumentative at all! Sorry if it came across that way. The only thing I'll say is that the owner of the dealer to whom I'm working with said something very different as it relates to allocations. He told me explicitly that he is assigned allocations based on his commitment to upgrade his store per GMs requirements. Having done this he knew that the first (2) he get would go to himself(which he is placing on the show room floor for people to gawk at, but not for sale) and the 2nd to my aforementioned friend. He was clear that while they go down the line when contacting customers through GMC and finalizing it with the dealer that if one of his reservations in line cancel that it does not affect his sale count as it would indeed move to the next person with a reservation with his dealership based on their allocations. He was coy with me on exactly how many allocations he had, but made it sound that even if everyone who placed a reservation actually converted that I would still likely get mine spring of 2023.

If he had told me what you just explained, I would have had a different tone/outlook because this is a very different story than what the owner himself gave to me. Pickles.
On the Hummer EV dealer allocations are set by which dealer the end customers choose to buy from, and customers can change dealers after the reservations are made through the HummerEv Concierge up until the post their truck is built.

·
Registered
392 Posts
On the Hummer EV dealer allocations are set by which dealer the end customers choose to buy from, and customers can change dealers after the reservations are made through the HummerEv Concierge up until the post their truck is built.
Correct. The dealer could currently have an allocation of 8 deposits, but 4 of them could switch to other dealers and then he would not see those.

I think the general consensus in here (and we have some dealer level people in here) is that beyond edition 1 orders that customers happened to place and choose their store, the dealers have very little to no information on what to expect as far as timing, availability, and options on other trim levels. My dealer that I used to work for that has my edition 1 suv order has basically said they are excited for the Hummers but GM has been very tight lipped on information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts