GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm from the PNW Seattle area. I'm curious has anyone started tracking which dealers have committed to no additional markups over MSRP? I had seen on a Corvette forum where they were doing just that. The two dealers I've contacted here, Bellevue GMC and Seaview GMC have said they are. I know GM was punishing dealers for the 2022 corvettes by taking away allocations of them to dealers who were selling above MSRP.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have an email from my dealership’s sales manager stating they never charge over MSRP (+tag-title-tax) and the Hummer EV will be sold the same way.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi all! I'm from the PNW Seattle area. I'm curious has anyone started tracking which dealers have committed to no additional markups over MSRP? I had seen on a Corvette forum where they were doing just that. The two dealers I've contacted here, Bellevue GMC and Seaview GMC have said they are. I know GM was punishing dealers for the 2022 corvettes by taking away allocations of them to dealers who were selling above MSRP.
Welcome to the Forum. I think most GMC dealers are planning to sell them at MSRP, of course GM has no way to force them to, but GM can easily send business to other stores, as they control the reservations. Ford CEO, and communications chief are active on twitter, and if someone complains about Mach E markups, they have personally called the dealers, and even moved people reservations to other dealerships.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum. I think most GMC dealers are planning to sell them at MSRP, of course GM has no way to force them to, but GM can easily send business to other stores, as they control the reservations. Ford CEO, and communications chief are active on twitter, and if someone complains about Mach E markups, they have personally called the dealers, and even moved people reservations to other dealerships.
Like I said the closest two dealers told me to expect a markup. Thats a nice thing about the Ford CEO, but that doesn't necessarily translate to GM.

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
Welcome, @Elle Lynn! So glad to have you here. What trim did you reserve?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Like I said the closest two dealers told me to expect a markup. Thats a nice thing about the Ford CEO, but that doesn't necessarily translate to GM.
Do you have a reservation with one of those dealerships you mentioned? I would imagine someone cold calling the dealership is going to get a different answer than someone who has a confirmed reservation through GMC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I don't have a reservation yet. See I've been a GM dealer Theres this minor thing called business ethics. Since they can apparently change the rules(what they charge) after you have made a reservation, I don't know maybe I would like to know their intentions up front. Maybe that seems odd to some. It's not even about the amount, it's about being gouged and surprised. So Maybe I need to play their game, and make 15-20 reservations. I can easily come up with that many variations in my name, and then decide who gets the business at the last minute based on who will honor MSRP. It's the same concept. Interesting thought, I think especially since courtesy delivery's are a thing.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
No I don't have a reservation yet. See I've been a GM dealer Theres this minor thing called business ethics. Since they can apparently change the rules(what they charge) after you have made a reservation, I don't know maybe I would like to know their intentions up front. Maybe that seems odd to some. It's not even about the amount, it's about being gouged and surprised. So Maybe I need to play their game, and make 15-20 reservations. I can easily come up with that many variations in my name, and then decide who gets the business at the last minute based on who will honor MSRP. It's the same concept. Interesting thought, I think especially since courtesy delivery's are a thing.
Do you have the names of the people you talked to at those dealerships? I would love to call or email them and see what they tell me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have the names of the people you talked to at those dealerships? I would love to call or email them and see what they tell me.
Cale Cross
Seaview Buick GMC
425-742-1920
This is the only one I have his information for. His answer to me : We are for sure going to have the Hummer, not sure about Mark up yet, im assuming yes tho.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Cale Cross
Seaview Buick GMC
425-742-1920
This is the only one I have his information for. His answer to me : We are for sure going to have the Hummer, not sure about Mark up yet, im assuming yes tho.
I just got off the phone with the sales manger at Seaview GMC (Joe), he said the plan is to sell all the Hummer EV's at MSRP and no markups... He did say this is a "fluid situation" though.

I also called the sales manager at Bellevue GMC (Taylor), and he basically said the same thing, their plan right now is to sell them at MSRP. If I was going to order one from either of those dealerships I would certainly get an email commitment from the manager, and it sounds like they are willing to give that now.

If you talk to a lower level employee, or salesman they may not know the dealerships strategic plans because they are not privileged to the higher level conversations within the dealership ownership, and managment. I would assume most dealerships are going to follow GMC's guidelines on the Hummer EV sales, and if they don't when it comes time to buy, you can remind them that you have access to social media (threat #1), and you also want to be in a good mood when you fill out the customer satisfaction survey (which is a critical document for the dealership) (threat#2), If those did not work, I would ask to discuss this with the dealership owner (most dealership employees are very hesitant to let you talk to the owner)

I know @BigJonEV , I am mean when it comes to $$.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just got off the phone with the sales manger at Seaview GMC (Joe), he said the plan is to sell all the Hummer EV's at MSRP and no markups... He did say this is a "fluid situation" though.

I also called the sales manager at Bellevue GMC (Taylor), and he basically said the same thing, their plan right now is to sell them at MSRP. If I was going to order one from either of those dealerships I would certainly get an email commitment from the manager, and it sounds like they are willing to give that now.

If you talk to a lower level employee, or salesman they may not know the dealerships strategic plans because they are not privileged to the higher level conversations within the dealership ownership, and managment. I would assume most dealerships are going to follow GMC's guidelines on the Hummer EV sales, and if they don't when it comes time to buy, you can remind them that you have access to social media (threat #1), and you also want to be in a good mood when you fill out the customer satisfaction survey (which is a critical document for the dealership) (threat#2), If those did not work, I would ask to discuss this with the dealership owner (most dealership employees are very hesitant to let you talk to the owner)

I know @BigJonEV , I am mean when it comes to $$.
Beyond mean!! Hahaha. I wouldn't mind having your reservation at all @Tom E-Tron. All of those are great points as I'm sure none of the salespeople have asked what is truly going on or really care at this point. I could be very wrong, but I doubt it. Even here they still really haven't disclosed an open plan or any guidance from GM on the Hummer, I just ask a lot of questions and want to know what is happening. It's a shame when you talked to them they are still saying a "fluid situation." I mean to me it's pretty simple you either are or you aren't. Nothing would change from GM to influence a dealer to want to charge a markup or not. GM is really trying to get away from those situations.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Beyond mean!! Hahaha. I wouldn't mind having your reservation at all @Tom E-Tron. All of those are great points as I'm sure none of the salespeople have asked what is truly going on or really care at this point. I could be very wrong, but I doubt it. Even here they still really haven't disclosed an open plan or any guidance from GM on the Hummer, I just ask a lot of questions and want to know what is happening. It's a shame when you talked to them they are still saying a "fluid situation." I mean to me it's pretty simple you either are or you aren't. Nothing would change from GM to influence a dealer to want to charge a markup or not. GM is really trying to get away from those situations.
I think saying it's a "fluid situation" is just being honest, if suddenly they cannot get any trucks or SUV's to sell and Hummer is all they have to keep the lights on, people can expect to pay more for the in demand vehicle. I also expect dealerships will make up their floor inventory model, and sell it to non reservation holders, which I see as OK...

@Elle Lynn talks about these markups as an ethics issue, I see it as a greedy, and short sighted issue, but not ethics. We all most remember however, if the same dealership wants to sell an Acadia, they are likely to get their teeth kicked in on the price, so they have to make it up somewhere.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think saying it's a "fluid situation" is just being honest, if suddenly they cannot get any trucks or SUV's to sell and Hummer is all they have to keep the lights on, people can expect to pay more for the in demand vehicle. I also expect dealerships will make up their floor inventory model, and sell it to non reservation holders, which I see as OK...

@Elle Lynn talks about these markups as an ethics issue, I see it as a greedy, and short sighted issue, but not ethics. We all most remember however, if the same dealership wants to sell an Acadia, they are likely to get their teeth kicked in on the price, so they have to make it up somewhere.
I guess. To me the fluid situation is more of when we will get the Hummers and being flexible, not markup. We are selling Acadia's at sticker price so at least here I'm not seeing the need to markup to stay open, but I see your point. Greed would definitely be the key word.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think, at my last count, I have purchased 35 new vehicles over the years. When I catch wind of a dealer marking up any vehicle over MSRP I tell everyone I know and know I will NEVER purchase a vehicle from them.

This happened while I was Raptor shopping a few years back. I ended up paying about $3,500 under MSRP while most dealers were marking up. Pure greed.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I think, at my last count, I have purchased 35 new vehicles over the years. When I catch wind of a dealer marking up any vehicle over MSRP I tell everyone I know and know I will NEVER purchase a vehicle from them.

This happened while I was Raptor shopping a few years back. I ended up paying about $3,500 under MSRP while most dealers were marking up. Pure greed.
Sure, I would do the same thing, but there are people out there with more money than brains who will pay the inflated prices, especially right now when most cars are sold over MSRP. Shoot, even heavy equipment is selling over list price right now. Just crazy times.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wish I could could get Shaved Ice and Tom Etron to be my personal car shoppers.... LOL... I hate the car buying game... The last one for me was my '05 Silverado and I did get a good deal on it... I have been in on my wife's last 2 cars '08 Lexus GX470 and '17 Mercedes... But it always seems like we are shopping for something so particular that the dealer really holds all the cards.... I am looking forward to getting a new truck I guess mine will be a '23 since I have an EV3X but a lot can change between now and then with so much happening so fast...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I wish I could could get Shaved Ice and Tom Etron to be my personal car shoppers.... LOL... I hate the car buying game... The last one for me was my '05 Silverado and I did get a good deal on it... I have been in on my wife's last 2 cars '08 Lexus GX470 and '17 Mercedes... But it always seems like we are shopping for something so particular that the dealer really holds all the cards.... I am looking forward to getting a new truck I guess mine will be a '23 since I have an EV3X but a lot can change between now and then with so much happening so fast...
Haha, I love to negotiate. Unfortunately on the HummerEV paying MSRP is about the best we are going to get.

To me negotiations are an art, but you have to be aware of the situation (dealer needs the sale more then you need the car is always the best) I typically shop on the last day of the quarter in the evening, especially if there is no trade in. Dealers will usually deal a lot more on the last day of the quarter (last day of the year even better).

Tesla takes all the fun out of it, when everyone pays the same.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
if the dealer you order from does want over MSRP can you still switch dealers ?
I think if you change dealers, you go to the back of the line AFAIK. It's better to work it out with your dealer, if you can. If the dealer tries to gouge you, remind them you know they are supposed to be MSRP, and are active on social media, and that you would hate to blister them on the customer satisfaction survey. That will usually do it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts