GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I powered my house today (wind knocked out my power) with my truck. Not the whole electrical system in the house, but my computer, internet and lights. Apparently, the truck can't power large devices (like refrigerators, freezers, microwaves) but I was able to light my house, cook dinner, take a shower (on demand (gas) water heater), ect. I was only using the on-board 110V power outlets (rated at 400W).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lets talk about the little likes (and dislikes) about our Hummer EV (edition 1) and share our experiences...
Well, for the cost of the truck, fit and finish should be better. I’ve got misaligned body panels. Also, I feel the interior should be upgraded as there’s a fair amount of flimsy plastic, I.e. the vents for one. The ride is really good, much better than expected. Overall, I’m happy, just a little disappointed

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Well, for the cost of the truck, fit and finish should be better. I’ve got misaligned body panels. Also, I feel the interior should be upgraded as there’s a fair amount of flimsy plastic, I.e. the vents for one. The ride is really good, much better than expected. Overall, I’m happy, just a little disappointed
Perspective is pretty interesting here. I actually think the fit and finish (for everything else you get in the truck) is exactly what I would have expected. Don't get me wrong, I would always want things to be better. But when I compare it to my sisters Model X Tesla, which cost a lot more, I feel like I am getting a LOT more for the money! The fact they fit all this crazy tech, the removable panels, the 4 wheel steering, crazy acceleration, etc and that it is a halo vehicle, I am actually surprised it didn't come in at a higher price point! I mean they even fit in heated AND cooled seats, AND heated rear seats!

I think they also had to balance the interior on cost, functionality, ruggedness, and ease of maintenance (how easy is it to clean) - so given that, I feel like they did pretty good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There are certain things that I would change (I HATE IT that the lights come on when you remote start the vehicle). I mean, let's advertise to the whole world that I'll be getting into my truck soon. No more sneaking out of work early, let's let carjackers know when to be ready, let's piss off the neighbors when I warm up my truck in the early morning (with my headlights pointed at their house), etc...
Can I have a setting that disables this?!?! I don't see how any government appointed safety official could have a problem with that (or I could be wrong). I mean, I guess there's about a 1 in 10 billion chance that someone might not see my truck there (in the dark with no headlights on) and walk into it and knock themselves out and then get run over in the parking lot. I'm sure someone will explain to me the reason for this (and I bet it has to do with ICE vehicles and doesn't make sense for EVs).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Perspective is pretty interesting here. I actually think the fit and finish (for everything else you get in the truck) is exactly what I would have expected. Don't get me wrong, I would always want things to be better. But when I compare it to my sisters Model X Tesla, which cost a lot more, I feel like I am getting a LOT more for the money! The fact they fit all this crazy tech, the removable panels, the 4 wheel steering, crazy acceleration, etc and that it is a halo vehicle, I am actually surprised it didn't come in at a higher price point! I mean they even fit in heated AND cooled seats, AND heated rear seats!

I think they also had to balance the interior on cost, functionality, ruggedness, and ease of maintenance (how easy is it to clean) - so given that, I feel like they did pretty good.
The misaligned panels are my biggest gripe. Just reminded me of the old GM

·
Administrator
697 Posts
There are certain things that I would change (I HATE IT that the lights come on when you remote start the vehicle). I mean, let's advertise to the whole world that I'll be getting into my truck soon. No more sneaking out of work early, let's let carjackers know when to be ready, let's piss off the neighbors when I warm up my truck in the early morning (with my headlights pointed at their house), etc...
Can I have a setting that disables this?!?! I don't see how any government appointed safety official could have a problem with that (or I could be wrong). I mean, I guess there's about a 1 in 10 billion chance that someone might not see my truck there (in the dark with no headlights on) and walk into it and knock themselves out and then get run over in the parking lot. I'm sure someone will explain to me the reason for this (and I bet it has to do with ICE vehicles and doesn't make sense for EVs).
Every vehicle I have ever owned with remote start had lights that came on after I started it. Tbh I never really thought anything of it.

Reactions: Calvin2518

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think Tesla does the cabin conditioning well, you basically set the temp in app and it goes to that - no lights, or anything. Seems like they are the only one.
The difference (I suspect) is Tesla is not fixated on cabin conditioning as being a "remote start." It's separate from getting prepared to drive/starting the engine as you would in an ICE vehicle, while GM and others seem to be coming from the mindset that you're necessarily preparing the vehicle to be driven (hence the lack of camping modes/dog modes they have in Teslas, which are also not driving-related).

·
Registered
18 Posts
What are you remote starting? There is no engine to start. I assume if hummer is like the tesla you can control cabin temp from app but no need to start it. Just walk up get in and go.

I can heat/cool my plaid and not start it. Maybe hummer is different I will find out soon as mine gets here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What are you remote starting? There is no engine to start. I assume if hummer is like the tesla you can control cabin temp from app but no need to start it. Just walk up get in and go.

I can heat/cool my plaid and not start it. Maybe hummer is different I will find out soon as mine gets here.
GM and ford are similar. In the app you remote start and you ac/heat comes on to your previous setting. That is how you cool or heat your cabin. They don’t keep temp/setting separately so ya kinda have to “remote start”.

GM is kinda worse as Ford will start engine/hybrid also but no lights come on on exterior.

perhaps GM can software fix on Hummer in future.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Remember the seats are vegan leather.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The rubber floor mats are kinda strange. Driver's side is ok because it snaps in place. Passenger side just slides all around with nothing to hold it in it's place. I'm looking forward to putting carpeted floor mats in the Edition 1, once GM agrees on something that suits this truck. In the meantime, I'm adding HD velcro to the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
The rubber floor mats are kinda strange. Driver's side is ok because it snaps in place. Passenger side just slides all around with nothing to hold it in it's place. I'm looking forward to putting carpeted floor mats in the Edition 1, once GM agrees on something that suits this truck. In the meantime, I'm adding HD velcro to the passenger side.
Totally agree, what were they thinking?? the driver side is great, the passenger and back make no sense at all, why would you want matts that just slide around all over the place? I'll try the velcro as well, good call!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Sunlight. Some heat
I got my entire Hummer wrapped (clear), including the roof panels - the wrap has UV protective properties so that helps a little bit. I asked if the inside of the panels could be tinted, but they said the tint wouldn't stick to the panels since they are not glass (not sure I believe that). You could ask a tint shop if they can tint the inside of the roof panels.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts